Norton 360 damaged after Vista SP2 installation

Ton

Norton 360 damaged after Vista SP2 installation
After updating my pc with SP2 for Vista it crashed. I had to restore from an
earlier point but had to install Norton 360 again becaus it did not work
anymore. This happened the second time again.

Any help on this problem?

Thanks.

Ton.
Ǝиçεl

RE: Norton 360 damaged after Vista SP2 installation
Hello Ton,

When downloding a new appllication, or applet, or executable file, or msi
program, I always choose to SAVE them to the DESKTOP, then I make a folder
and copy the download to the new folder When the program is fully
downloaded, I then run my antivirus program against that saved file to make
sure it is virus free. (right click, then choose scan with "antivirus
program").

Once I know it is clean and safely stored, I disconnect from the internet,
turn off my antivirus program, & close all nonessential process in the task
manager.

Then go to the "New Folder" folder and double click on the new application
to install it without interference.
Once it is installed, reboot your computer to start your antivirus program
and previously ended processes automatically, and then if it needs to access
the INet for activation or registration, it can do that safely.

I have never had a problem with failed installations or other program
interference using this simple stepwise process.

Remember,
Do not use the Windows Update web site, if at all possible download the
service pack installation file directly to your hard drive and install SP2
using this file.

For Service Packs, I prefer to download the full file and then install
offline after preparing the system first.

Methods to download the latest service pack (VISTA SP2)
Method 1: Turn on Automatic Updates (Recommended for most users)
Method 2: Check for updates on Windows Update (Same as Method 1 but not
automatic)

Method 3: Obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack from the
Microsoft Download Center (the full file)
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791/#Method3> (Good to use if the
computer on which you want to install the service pack is not connected to
the Internet)

Go to <http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/dd262148.aspx> and look
at the left side.

Things to know about SP2 and FAQs.

Review them thoroughly and see if that answers most or all of your
questions.

If not, repost here.

You will also note the download site available for the full download which
can be used instead of the Windows Update service.

Good luck
-=-
"Ton" wrote:

> After updating my pc with SP2 for Vista it crashed. I had to restore from an
> earlier point but had to install Norton 360 again becaus it did not work
> anymore. This happened the second time again.
>
> Any help on this problem?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Ton.

Shenan Stanley

Ton wrote:
> After updating my pc with SP2 for Vista it crashed. I had to
> restore from an earlier point but had to install Norton 360 again
> becaus it did not work anymore. This happened the second time again.
>
> Any help on this problem?

What does Symantec/Norton tell you?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Ton

Re: Norton 360 damaged after Vista SP2 installation
They showed me how to install Norton again, which I did already.
I did not get a real answer on the problem. because I still do not have SP2.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Ton wrote:
> > After updating my pc with SP2 for Vista it crashed. I had to
> > restore from an earlier point but had to install Norton 360 again
> > becaus it did not work anymore. This happened the second time again.
> >
> > Any help on this problem?

> What does Symantec/Norton tell you?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: Norton 360 damaged after Vista SP2 installation
[Crosspost to Vista General newsgroup]

Are you running N360 v3?

Did you disable all N360 components (i.e., anti-virus; anti-spyware; Norton
Add-ons; firewall) and then enable the Windows Firewall prior to attempting
to install Vista SP2?

Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 2 (SP2). This support for Windows
Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) is valid until November 26, 2009. Availability of
chat or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=582034 &
select appropriate category (e.g., Installation).

Installation Tips:

• Your computer will restart several times during the installation process:
Make certain you've saved your work and closed all open applications before
beginning the install.

• Disable (1) your anti-virus application, (2) any real-time system
protections afforded by any anti-spyware applications (except Defender), &
(3) your third-party firewall (if any) and then (4) enable the Windows
Firewall _before installing or uninstalling_ Vista SP2.

• The installation process can take an hour or more: If you're installing
SP2 on a portable computer, make sure that you plug-in the power cord and
have the battery inserted into its bay.

• Vista SP1 is a prerequisite for installing SP2. If you use Windows Update
or the Automatic Update feature in Windows Vista, you will not be offered
the option to install SP2 until you first install SP1.