Re: reformating hard drive with xp

Rjtbutler

Re: reformating hard drive with xp
Alias, is that why I now have two copies of XP on my hard drive? I thought
the reformat option on the cd would erase the previous copy of XP I installed
a couple of years ago.

Robert

"Alias" wrote:

> helpless wrote:
> > I can not reformat my hard drive with xp. I can do an update,but, I want to
> > wipe out my drive and start from the beginning. I can do an up date but, it
> > will not allow me to do a complete format.. Help

> XP cannot format the drive if Windows is loaded. Reset your BIOS to have
> the CD ROM boot first. Insert the CD, reboot from the BIOS and follow
> the instructions.
>
> Alias

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Rjtbutler wrote:

> Alias, is that why I now have two copies of XP on my hard drive? I thought
> the reformat option on the cd would erase the previous copy of XP I installed
> a couple of years ago.

The reformat option while booted to the CD does work. All Alias means is that
you cannot reformat the hard disk while you are booted from the hard disk.

Most likely, you do not actually have two copies of Windows, just an extra entry
in the boot menu. The Windows setup disk leaves this redundant entry behind
under certain circumstances, this is a harmless quirk.

Harry.

> Robert
>
> "Alias" wrote:
>
>> helpless wrote:
>>> I can not reformat my hard drive with xp. I can do an update,but, I want to
>>> wipe out my drive and start from the beginning. I can do an up date but, it
>>> will not allow me to do a complete format.. Help

>> XP cannot format the drive if Windows is loaded. Reset your BIOS to have
>> the CD ROM boot first. Insert the CD, reboot from the BIOS and follow
>> the instructions.
>>
>> Alias

Rjtbutler

Re: reformating hard drive with xp
Thanx for the feedback Harry. I'm also having problems getting my new XP
entry to recognize imy sound drivers. They work with the old entry of XP but
arn't recognized by the new XP entry. I'm going to have a more computer savy
friend help me reformat thru the BIOS - I'd just get in trouble - lol - &
hopefully I'll end up with just one entry with my sound drivers intact and a
nice clean copy of XP

RB

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Rjtbutler wrote:
>
> > Alias, is that why I now have two copies of XP on my hard drive? I thought
> > the reformat option on the cd would erase the previous copy of XP I installed
> > a couple of years ago.

> The reformat option while booted to the CD does work. All Alias means is that
> you cannot reformat the hard disk while you are booted from the hard disk.
>
> Most likely, you do not actually have two copies of Windows, just an extra entry
> in the boot menu. The Windows setup disk leaves this redundant entry behind
> under certain circumstances, this is a harmless quirk.
>
> Harry.
>

> > Robert

> >> XP cannot format the drive if Windows is loaded. Reset your BIOS to have
> >> the CD ROM boot first. Insert the CD, reboot from the BIOS and follow
> >> the instructions.
> >>
> >> Alias

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Rjtbutler wrote:

> Thanx for the feedback Harry. I'm also having problems getting my new XP
> entry to recognize imy sound drivers. They work with the old entry of XP but
> arn't recognized by the new XP entry.

Perhaps these are actually two different copies of the operating system. Could
you boot as an administrator, go to the Start Menu, select Run and type this:

notepad c:\boot.ini

press ENTER and copy the text from the boot.ini file into a reply to this
message. That will give us a definite answer!

Harry.

> I'm going to have a more computer savy
> friend help me reformat thru the BIOS - I'd just get in trouble - lol - &
> hopefully I'll end up with just one entry with my sound drivers intact and a
> nice clean copy of XP
>
> RB
>
> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:
>
>> Rjtbutler wrote:
>>
>>> Alias, is that why I now have two copies of XP on my hard drive? I thought
>>> the reformat option on the cd would erase the previous copy of XP I installed
>>> a couple of years ago.

>> The reformat option while booted to the CD does work. All Alias means is that
>> you cannot reformat the hard disk while you are booted from the hard disk.
>>
>> Most likely, you do not actually have two copies of Windows, just an extra entry
>> in the boot menu. The Windows setup disk leaves this redundant entry behind
>> under certain circumstances, this is a harmless quirk.
>>
>> Harry.
>>

>>> Robert

Rjtbutler

Re: reformating hard drive with xp
I'll give it a try if reformating from BIOS doesn't work. The reason I think
you are right about reformating from the BIOS is that I also installed XP
onto a different computer ( for music composing/recording applications only )
that a friend just gave me.

This computer has 'Windows 2000 Professional' installed already & when I
installed my XP Home Edition the same thing occured. I now have both systems
operating on the same hard drive. I get a choice option when the computer is
turned on..

The friend I refered to in my last post is supposed to show up tonight so
I'll do a BIOS reformat. I'd do it myself but I'd just get in trouble messing
with the BIOS - lol, I can handle basic stuff but I've been warned about
messing with such things.....I'll let you know. Thanx for the advice!

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:

> Rjtbutler wrote:
>
> > Thanx for the feedback Harry. I'm also having problems getting my new XP
> > entry to recognize imy sound drivers. They work with the old entry of XP but
> > arn't recognized by the new XP entry.

> Perhaps these are actually two different copies of the operating system. Could
> you boot as an administrator, go to the Start Menu, select Run and type this:
>
> notepad c:\boot.ini
>
> press ENTER and copy the text from the boot.ini file into a reply to this
> message. That will give us a definite answer!
>
> Harry.
>

> > I'm going to have a more computer savy
> > friend help me reformat thru the BIOS - I'd just get in trouble - lol - &
> > hopefully I'll end up with just one entry with my sound drivers intact and a
> > nice clean copy of XP
> >
> > RB

> >> The reformat option while booted to the CD does work. All Alias means is that
> >> you cannot reformat the hard disk while you are booted from the hard disk.
> >>
> >> Most likely, you do not actually have two copies of Windows, just an extra entry
> >> in the boot menu. The Windows setup disk leaves this redundant entry behind
> >> under certain circumstances, this is a harmless quirk.
> >>
> >> Harry.

Rjtbutler

Re: reformating hard drive with xp
I did as you suggested, here is the readout:

boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home
Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home

RB

"Rjtbutler" wrote:

> I'll give it a try if reformating from BIOS doesn't work. The reason I think
> you are right about reformating from the BIOS is that I also installed XP
> onto a different computer ( for music composing/recording applications only )
> that a friend just gave me.
>
> This computer has 'Windows 2000 Professional' installed already & when I
> installed my XP Home Edition the same thing occured. I now have both systems
> operating on the same hard drive. I get a choice option when the computer is
> turned on..
>
> The friend I refered to in my last post is supposed to show up tonight so
> I'll do a BIOS reformat. I'd do it myself but I'd just get in trouble messing
> with the BIOS - lol, I can handle basic stuff but I've been warned about
> messing with such things.....I'll let you know. Thanx for the advice!
>

> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Rjtbutler wrote:
> >
> > > Thanx for the feedback Harry. I'm also having problems getting my new XP
> > > entry to recognize imy sound drivers. They work with the old entry of XP but
> > > arn't recognized by the new XP entry.

> > Perhaps these are actually two different copies of the operating system. Could
> > you boot as an administrator, go to the Start Menu, select Run and type this:
> >
> > notepad c:\boot.ini
> >
> > press ENTER and copy the text from the boot.ini file into a reply to this
> > message. That will give us a definite answer!
> >
> > Harry.
> >

> > > I'm going to have a more computer savy
> > > friend help me reformat thru the BIOS - I'd just get in trouble - lol - &
> > > hopefully I'll end up with just one entry with my sound drivers intact and a
> > > nice clean copy of XP
> > >
> > > RB

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Rjtbutler wrote:

> I did as you suggested, here is the readout:
>
> boot loader]
> timeout=30
> default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
> [operating systems]
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home
> Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
> multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Micro soft Windows XP Home

Huh. Do you see two hard disk drive volumes when the system is booted? They'd
probably be C drive and D drive, with your CD-ROM relegated to E drive.

Harry.