service pack 3

samron

service pack 3
I have been trying many times to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
and haven't been successful. Is there another way?
--
ron
ANONYMOUS

Re: service pack 3
YES. Boot up in safe mode and then try to install from there. I am, of
course, assuming you have already downloaded the full version from here:

<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en>

Have you ensured that your system is clean of any malware?

samron wrote:

>I have been trying many times to install Windows XP Service Pack 3 (KB936929)
>and haven't been successful. Is there another way?

JS

Re: service pack 3
Make certain that your disk drive has the space required, at least 2GB for a
PC that is fully loaded with applications. This 2GB does not include the
recommended 15% free disk space requirement for Windows XP.

Install SP3 in 'Clean Boot' mode:
How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353
See the section titled: Manual steps to perform a clean boot in Windows XP,
skipping step 4.

Why clean boot:
A "Clean Boot" insures that only a minimal set of Windows Services and
applications are running. This means your Anti Virus software, third party
Firewall and other background applications will not be running; thereby
reducing the chances that installing SP3 will fail. Just remember to undo
the "Clean Boot" changes after installing SP3.

Do not use the Windows Update web site, if at all possible download the
service pack installation file directly to your hard drive and install SP3
using this file.

Where to download the SP3 installation file:
(File is large but will only install components that your PC requires)

Windows XP Service Pack 3 Overview
Be sure to download and read the file titled 'Overview of Windows XP Service
Pack 3'
Note: "You can run the SP3 update package on any edition of Windows XP SP1
or SP2."

The hard disk space requirements for Windows XP Service Pack 3
Discusses the hard disk space requirements for installing
Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
"For a PC on which Windows XP is already installed"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947311/en-us

Installing Windows XP Service Pack 3 (SP3)
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../cc164204.aspx

Release notes for the Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936929/en-us

List of fixes that are included in Windows XP Service Pack 3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946480/

Recommends steps to take before you install Windows XP Service Pack 3.
Also includes troubleshooting information and error codes.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950717/en-us

XP SP3: Post Installation Cleanup:
http://www.aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=33827

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

"samron" <samron@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I have been trying many times to install Windows XP Service Pack 3
>(KB936929)
> and haven't been successful. Is there another way?
> --
> ron

Re: service pack 3
How to troubleshoot an unsuccessful installation of WinXP SP3
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950718

MS was offering no-charge support for SP3 installation and compatibility
issues for well over a year. This support was withdrawn about a month ago.

[You snoozed, you losed.]