Vista SP2 error 80004005

mctoon

Vista SP2 error 80004005
Any ideas, im getting fed up trying to sort it,

my answer would be :format C and good install Suse Linux, however the Mrs
need MS for work

Re: Vista SP2 error 80004005
Please see this page http://members.shaw.ca/dts-l/goodpost.htm then post
back to this thread with the information we'd need to be able to assist you
properly.

mctoon wrote:
> Any ideas, im getting fed up trying to sort it,
>
> my answer would be :format C and good install Suse Linux, however the Mrs
> need MS for work

MowGreen

Re: Vista SP2 error 80004005
If the Startup type for the TrustedInstaller service has been changed
from it's Default setting, see:

When set to manual, TrustedInstaller service fails to install updates
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968440

If the TrustedInstaller service has not been altered, do a Clean boot of
Vista, Step 1 here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135

After the system is in a Clean boot state, go here and run the Fixit:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Open Internet Explorer by *right* clicking it and choosing 'Run as
administrator'. Follow the prompts.
Now visit http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058 and run the Fixit.

In the Clean boot state, security software [ which includes
antivirus/security suites/3rd party firewalls/popup & cookie blockers,
etc. ] will be eliminated as the cause of the error.

0x80040005 OLE_E_NOTRUNNING
Need to run the object to perform this operation

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

mctoon wrote:

> Any ideas, im getting fed up trying to sort it,
>
> my answer would be :format C and good install Suse Linux, however the Mrs
> need MS for work

TaurArian

RE: Vista SP2 error 80004005
Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 service pack installation fails with
error 0x80004005
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971204

"mctoon" wrote:

> Any ideas, im getting fed up trying to sort it,
>
> my answer would be :format C and good install Suse Linux, however the Mrs
> need MS for work

Re: Vista SP2 error 80004005
[Your CrystalBall© might be working today! I suppose OP could be getting
the error when attempting to install SP2.]

TaurArian wrote:
> Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 service pack installation fails with
> error 0x80004005
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971204
>

>> Any ideas, im getting fed up trying to sort it,
>>
>> my answer would be :format C and good install Suse Linux, however the Mrs
>> need MS for work

TaurArian

Re: Vista SP2 error 80004005
I actually do have six real crystal balls and haven't been able to get any
of them working yet !

I'm just guessing by the subject.

The only other one was -
Error message when you try to install Microsoft Update on a Windows
Vista-based computer: "Could not install Microsoft Update on the computer"
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933528

Which didn't appear likely (to me anyway).

Kaylene

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
:: [Your CrystalBall© might be working today! I suppose OP could be
:: getting the error when attempting to install SP2.]
::
:: TaurArian wrote:
::: Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 service pack installation
::: fails with error 0x80004005
::: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971204
:::
:::
:::: Any ideas, im getting fed up trying to sort it,
::::
:::: my answer would be :format C and good install Suse Linux, however
:::: the Mrs need MS for work

mctoon

Re: Vista SP2 error 80004005
Oh well thats blown it for me then,, My laptop is dual boot with Suse Linux,,
oh well no SP2 for me then,, many thanks anyway,

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Your CrystalBall© might be working today! I suppose OP could be getting
> the error when attempting to install SP2.]
>
> TaurArian wrote:
> > Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 service pack installation fails with
> > error 0x80004005
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971204
> >

> >> Any ideas, im getting fed up trying to sort it,
> >>
> >> my answer would be :format C and good install Suse Linux, however the Mrs
> >> need MS for work

Re: Vista SP2 error 80004005
Without SP2 installed, your Vista computer will not be offered any further
critical security updates after early 2011.

Windows Vista, but only for Service Pack 2 (SP2). This support for Windows
Vista Service Pack 2 (SP2) is valid until November 26, 2009. Availability of
chat or e-mail support differs depending on your geographic location. Go to
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...4&gprid=582034 &
select appropriate category (e.g., Installation).

<QP>
If third-party disk management tools are used to "clone" disks or
partitions, the SP2 installer will be unable to uniquely identify the
correct system boot files.
</QP>

Such issues should not be encountered in a properly executed dual-boot
environment.
--
~PA Bear

mctoon wrote:
> Oh well thats blown it for me then,, My laptop is dual boot with Suse
> Linux,, oh well no SP2 for me then,, many thanks anyway,
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Your CrystalBall© might be working today! I suppose OP could be getting
>> the error when attempting to install SP2.]
>>
>> TaurArian wrote:
>>> Windows Vista and Windows Server 2008 service pack installation fails
>>> with
>>> error 0x80004005
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971204

linuxoverwindows

RE: Vista SP2 error 80004005
i wrote a little blurb about it here:
http://www.yougetalife.com/vistasp2andgrub.aspx
but it breaks down to making sure the windows partition is set 'active'
check it with fdisk. check out my article and see if it helps. if it is
not concise enough, let me know and i can add more details.

"mctoon" wrote:

> Any ideas, im getting fed up trying to sort it,
>
> my answer would be :format C and good install Suse Linux, however the Mrs
> need MS for work

deadleaves

Re: Vista SP2 error 80004005

I too found myself not quite able to ditch Vista completely so I had to
do quite a bit of research to solve it.

I like my Linux but I like staying up to date too - even in Windows.
'This tutorial'
(http://bendavis.me/tutorials/reconfi...service-packs/)
should help you out, it did me

--