967715 confuses me

bobd

967715 confuses me
Subject update keeps on installing then showing up as needing to be
installed. I check the update history, and it shows that the update has been
successfully installed (many times). It still shows in the system trey as
needing to be installed. Seems like something, somewhere is not registering.
Please help as I am quite tired of having to refuse to install every time I
turn the computer off.

Thanks!!
--
Bob

Re: 967715 confuses me
See the Known Issues section of http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

bobd wrote:
> Subject update keeps on installing then showing up as needing to be
> installed. I check the update history, and it shows that the update has
> been successfully installed (many times). It still shows in the system
> trey as needing to be installed. Seems like something, somewhere is not
> registering. Please help as I am quite tired of having to refuse to
> install
> every time I turn the computer off.
>
> Thanks!!

Shenan Stanley

Re: 967715 confuses me

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> See the Known Issues section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/967715

In case you were curious about PA Bear's information (as in how to get it
yourself, exactly what is being referred to, etc...)

If you have a specific Microsoft Knowledge Base (KB) 6 digit number you want
to know more about - put those six digits in this web page in place of the #
symbols...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/######

That will take you to the full article about said update/etc. In it you
might read about "Known Issues" and if there are resolutions - those will be
there too.

In this case...

Update 967715 is reoffered multiple times

Update 967715 may be reoffered if the HonorAutorunSetting registry setting
that is described in this article is not added to the registry hive. This
issue may occur if some other program that is installed on the computer
blocks the update from writing the registry entry. Such software may block
the update during the installation of the update or may remove the registry
entry after the computer is restarted.

To resolve this problem, install the update in safe mode. To do this, follow
these steps:
Download the update. To do this, follow these steps:
- Visit the Microsoft Download Web site:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads
- In the Search for a download box, type the number of the Knowledge Base
article that describes the update, and then click Go.
- Download the update, and then save it to the desktop.

- Install the update. To do this, follow these steps:
- Double-click the downloaded file to install it.
- If you are prompted to restart the computer, do so.

- Visit the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web site to determine whether
the update is offered again. If you are offered the update again, continue
to the next step.

- Install the update in safe mode. Safe mode disables most running processes
and services. These services include the Windows Update service. Installing
an update in safe mode is a quick test to determine whether an application
or process is interfering with the installation. To install the update in
safe mode, follow these steps:
- Restart the computer.
- As the computer starts, press the F8 key.
- Use the arrow keys to select Safe Mode, and then press ENTER.
- Double-click the file that you downloaded in step 1 to install the file.
- When the installation is complete, restart the computer.
- Visit the Windows Update or Microsoft Update Web site to determine
whether the update is offered. Or, wait until Automatic Updates runs again.

Hope that helps!

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

bobd

RE: 967715 confuses me
Bear and Stanley - Thank you both. This did what I wanted to do.
Wonder if there is a way to find the cconflicting app?--
Bob

"bobd" wrote:

> Subject update keeps on installing then showing up as needing to be
> installed. I check the update history, and it shows that the update has been
> successfully installed (many times). It still shows in the system trey as
> needing to be installed. Seems like something, somewhere is not registering.
> Please help as I am quite tired of having to refuse to install every time I
> turn the computer off.
>
> Thanks!!
> --
> Bob