My Microsoft Update history has disappeared

MartinC

My Microsoft Update history has disappeared
Not sure if this is as a result of a recent update or not, but when I go to
the Microsoft Update page and request my update history, it is totally
blank. The recent updates from this week have been included, but anything
before that is now gone.

Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be concerned - probably not?

It is not really a problem, but I would like to know what has happened and
why.

As a possible clue, when I went into Outlook Express, it claimed that it was
no longer my default email client. Considering I only have the one (even
though I have Outlook on my PC) I was a bit surprised.

Cheers

Martin

Re: My Microsoft Update history has disappeared
A1. Was C:\Windows\System Distribution <=this folder or its contents deleted
recently for some reason (e.g., problems installing an update)?

A2. Microsoft Outlook updates change the default mail handler to Microsoft
Outlook
http://www.oehelp.com/OETips.aspx#13
Related: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/933450
--
OE-specific newsgroup:

MartinC wrote:
> Not sure if this is as a result of a recent update or not, but when I go
> the Microsoft Update page and request my update history, it is totally
> blank. The recent updates from this week have been included, but anything
> before that is now gone.
>
> Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be concerned - probably not?
>
> It is not really a problem, but I would like to know what has happened and
> why.
>
> As a possible clue, when I went into Outlook Express, it claimed that it
> was
> no longer my default email client. Considering I only have the one (even
> though I have Outlook on my PC) I was a bit surprised.

FrankV

Re: My Microsoft Update history has disappeared
It has happened to me twice in the last 6 months. A few days after both
times the history came back again. My impression has been a malfunction with
the server that keeps the data although I have no idea if this is true.

Frank

"MartinC" <invalid@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Not sure if this is as a result of a recent update or not, but when I go
> to the Microsoft Update page and request my update history, it is totally
> blank. The recent updates from this week have been included, but anything
> before that is now gone.
>
> Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be concerned - probably not?
>
> It is not really a problem, but I would like to know what has happened and
> why.
>
> As a possible clue, when I went into Outlook Express, it claimed that it
> was no longer my default email client. Considering I only have the one
> (even though I have Outlook on my PC) I was a bit surprised.
>
> Cheers
>
> Martin

Martin C

Re: My Microsoft Update history has disappeared
Thanks for the responses.
The recent Office update probably updated the Outlook default problem as
stated by PA Bear.
I will keep a look out to see if the history comes back again.

Cheers
Martin

"FrankV" <vze32975@verizon.net> wrote in message
> It has happened to me twice in the last 6 months. A few days after both
> times the history came back again. My impression has been a malfunction
> with the server that keeps the data although I have no idea if this is
> true.
>
> Frank
>
> "MartinC" <invalid@nospam.com> wrote in message
>> Not sure if this is as a result of a recent update or not, but when I go
>> to the Microsoft Update page and request my update history, it is totally
>> blank. The recent updates from this week have been included, but anything
>> before that is now gone.
>>
>> Has this happened to anyone else? Should I be concerned - probably not?
>>
>> It is not really a problem, but I would like to know what has happened
>> and why.
>>
>> As a possible clue, when I went into Outlook Express, it claimed that it
>> was no longer my default email client. Considering I only have the one
>> (even though I have Outlook on my PC) I was a bit surprised.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> Martin

TaurArian

Re: My Microsoft Update history has disappeared
If you renamed/deleted the softwaredistribution folder, the history will not
return.

The history is not important anyway.

If you want to know what is installed or missing:-
From Microsoft - Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer.
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/s.../cc184924.aspx