Please help - Office update error & no Office Source Engine Servic

Jane

Please help - Office update error & no Office Source Engine Servic
Hi, last week I upgraded RAM and reformatted by operating system as directed
by a Dell technician (long story, won't get into that) and after much
troubleshooting apparently resolved my issue when I installed a new video
card. I have XP and all the office updates failed to install with error code
0x80070643.

I ran services.msc and office source engine isn't even listed....what should
I do?

Thanks in advance!!
Shenan Stanley

Re: Please help - Office update error & no Office Source Engine Servic
Jane wrote:
> Hi, last week I upgraded RAM and reformatted by operating system as
> directed by a Dell technician (long story, won't get into that) and
> after much troubleshooting apparently resolved my issue when I
> installed a new video card. I have XP and all the office updates
> failed to install with error code 0x80070643.
>
> I ran services.msc and office source engine isn't even
> listed....what should I do?

If you truly formatted and diod a clean install as indicated - how did you
install Office cleanly?
What version?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Please help - Office update error & no Office Source Engine Servic
Did you reinstall Office? Is it Office 2003?

Jane wrote:
> Hi, last week I upgraded RAM and reformatted by operating system as
> directed
> by a Dell technician (long story, won't get into that) and after much
> troubleshooting apparently resolved my issue when I installed a new video
> card. I have XP and all the office updates failed to install with error
> code 0x80070643.
>
> I ran services.msc and office source engine isn't even listed....what
> should
> I do?
>
> Thanks in advance!!

Jane

Re: Please help - Office update error & no Office Source Engine Se
Yes, I did reinstall. It's Office 2003

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Did you reinstall Office? Is it Office 2003?
>
> Jane wrote:
> > Hi, last week I upgraded RAM and reformatted by operating system as
> > directed
> > by a Dell technician (long story, won't get into that) and after much
> > troubleshooting apparently resolved my issue when I installed a new video
> > card. I have XP and all the office updates failed to install with error
> > code 0x80070643.
> >
> > I ran services.msc and office source engine isn't even listed....what
> > should
> > I do?
> >
> > Thanks in advance!!

Jane

Re: Please help - Office update error & no Office Source Engine Se
Hi, I installed it using the CD. I was assisted over the phone with the Dell
technician as I am not very tech savvy and first time I ever had to do this
to my home PC.

"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> Jane wrote:
> > Hi, last week I upgraded RAM and reformatted by operating system as
> > directed by a Dell technician (long story, won't get into that) and
> > after much troubleshooting apparently resolved my issue when I
> > installed a new video card. I have XP and all the office updates
> > failed to install with error code 0x80070643.
> >
> > I ran services.msc and office source engine isn't even
> > listed....what should I do?

> If you truly formatted and diod a clean install as indicated - how did you
> install Office cleanly?
> What version?
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Jane

Re: Please help - Office update error & no Office Source Engine Se
Any info available on how to resolve this?

"Jane" wrote:

> Yes, I did reinstall. It's Office 2003
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Did you reinstall Office? Is it Office 2003?
> >
> > Jane wrote:
> > > Hi, last week I upgraded RAM and reformatted by operating system as
> > > directed
> > > by a Dell technician (long story, won't get into that) and after much
> > > troubleshooting apparently resolved my issue when I installed a new video
> > > card. I have XP and all the office updates failed to install with error
> > > code 0x80070643.
> > >
> > > I ran services.msc and office source engine isn't even listed....what
> > > should
> > > I do?
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance!!

Re: Please help - Office update error & no Office Source Engine Se
See...

Description of the update for Office 2003 (December 9, 2008)
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949074

1. Open your browser to
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...C-949BA1ACA479

2. SAVE the download to your desktop, do not RUN it.

3. Double-click on the saved file to install the patch.

4. Now try to update Office 2003 again, either via Microsoft Update or
Office Update.

NB: You'll need to install at least one (1) Service Pack, perhaps more.
After installing an Office update, return to Microsoft Update or Office
Update and run another update check. Repeat until no further updates are
offered.

Jane wrote:
> Yes, I did reinstall. It's Office 2003
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Did you reinstall Office? Is it Office 2003?
>>
>> Jane wrote:
>>> Hi, last week I upgraded RAM and reformatted by operating system as
>>> directed
>>> by a Dell technician (long story, won't get into that) and after much
>>> troubleshooting apparently resolved my issue when I installed a new
>>> video
>>> card. I have XP and all the office updates failed to install with error
>>> code 0x80070643.
>>>
>>> I ran services.msc and office source engine isn't even listed....what
>>> should
>>> I do?
>>>
>>> Thanks in advance!!

Jane

Re: Please help - Office update error & no Office Source Engine Se
You are my hero! Thanks so much for helping me out!! I really appreciate it.
I downloaded the other patches but opted out for the following because I did
not install access or publisher when i reinstalled Office. Also, should I be
concerned that office source engine is not listed when I run services.msc?
Security Update for Microsoft Works Suite 2005 (KB943973)
Security Update for Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 (KB950213)
Security Update for Access Snapshot Viewer 2003 (KB955439)

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> See...
>
> Description of the update for Office 2003 (December 9, 2008)
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949074
>
> 1. Open your browser to
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...C-949BA1ACA479
>
> 2. SAVE the download to your desktop, do not RUN it.
>
> 3. Double-click on the saved file to install the patch.
>
> 4. Now try to update Office 2003 again, either via Microsoft Update or
> Office Update.
>
> NB: You'll need to install at least one (1) Service Pack, perhaps more.
> After installing an Office update, return to Microsoft Update or Office
> Update and run another update check. Repeat until no further updates are
> offered.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Jane wrote:
> > Yes, I did reinstall. It's Office 2003
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Did you reinstall Office? Is it Office 2003?

Re: Please help - Office update error & no Office Source Engine Se
YW. Are you running Office 2003 SP3 now?

I'd recommend installing Security Update for Microsoft Works Suite 2005
(KB943973).

With KB949074 installed now, you shouldn't have to worry about "office
source engine" now.

Tip: Any time you encounter a problem installing an update for Office 2003,
insert your Office CD into the appropriate drive bay before attempting the

Jane wrote:
> You are my hero! Thanks so much for helping me out!! I really appreciate
> it. I downloaded the other patches but opted out for the following because
> I did not install access or publisher when i reinstalled Office. Also,
> should I be concerned that office source engine is not listed when I run
> services.msc?
>
> Security Update for Microsoft Works Suite 2005 (KB943973)
> Security Update for Microsoft Office Publisher 2003 (KB950213)
> Security Update for Access Snapshot Viewer 2003 (KB955439)
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> See...
>>
>> Description of the update for Office 2003 (December 9, 2008)
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949074
>>
>> 1. Open your browser to
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...C-949BA1ACA479
>>
>> 2. SAVE the download to your desktop, do not RUN it.
>>
>> 3. Double-click on the saved file to install the patch.
>>
>> 4. Now try to update Office 2003 again, either via Microsoft Update or
>> Office Update.
>>
>> NB: You'll need to install at least one (1) Service Pack, perhaps more.
>> After installing an Office update, return to Microsoft Update or Office
>> Update and run another update check. Repeat until no further updates are
>> offered.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> Jane wrote:
>>> Yes, I did reinstall. It's Office 2003

Jane

Re: Please help - Office update error & no Office Source Engine Se
Thanks again. Forgive the silly question but how do I determne if running
Office 2003 SP3? It's not listed when go to add/remove programs but when I
open the individual applications, I see that there is SP3
(Outlook:11.8217.8221 SP3, Word, PowerPoint and Excel:11.8307.8221 SP3). Is
everything alright or is there anything else I should do? Thanks again.