Update keeps failing - WinXP Pro SP3

LOUNGE

Update keeps failing - WinXP Pro SP3
I keep getting the following message in update. I have tried the solution
and the service keeps stopping after 10-30 seconds and the updated do not
install.

Help?!?!?!?
Thanks

The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more
quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.

Re: Update keeps failing - WinXP Pro SP3
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

LOUNGE wrote:
> I keep getting the following message in update. I have tried the solution
> and the service keeps stopping after 10-30 seconds and the updated do not
> install.
>
> Help?!?!?!?
> Thanks
>

> The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
> not running:
>
> Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
> high-priority updates for your computer)
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download
> more
> quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
> Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> troubleshooting, if needed)
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then
> click
> Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent
> Transfer
> Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> Properties.
> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
> Stopped click on the Start Button.

Mettá

Re: Update keeps failing - WinXP Pro SP3
Thanks for the info, yes "security2009" took over, : ( although now removed
by AVG, other problems persist as you have indicated.

I am in the process of running Live Safety Center.

Fingers crossed for avoiding a reinstall.

thanks again

> [...]
>> click
>> Properties.
>> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
>> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
>> Stopped click on the Start Button.
>> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent
>> Transfer
>> Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
>> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
>> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
>> Stopped click on the Start Button.
>> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
>> Properties.
>> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
>> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
>> Stopped click on the Start Button.

Re: Update keeps failing - WinXP Pro SP3
I can 100% guarantee you that AVG did not detect or remove all traces of
your hijackware infections (plural).