Windows Update AND Windows Defender doesnt update

yagsy

Windows Update AND Windows Defender doesnt update
I'm having very annoying problems with my windows update and defender.
Automatic works, but the updates just fail to install. I keep getting the
error code 80240016.
Windows Defender 'can't check for definition updates'. Keep getting the
error code 0x80244019
Last update was two months ago now...
And I'v tried microsoft's error's help stuff and nothing. Also tried getting
the updates from update.microsoft, but keep getting redirected to google:S:S:S
Hope someone can help(Y)

yagsy
t-4-2

Re: Windows Update AND Windows Defender doesnt update
I can only help you on how to manually updating Windows Defender's new
definitions :
When you log on to the link, make sure you pick the right version, 32-bit or
64-bit.
NOTE: Make sure you are on Administrator account. It is best to save it to a
folder because you might need it again sometime later, then right click on
the folder, click Run As Administrator, then run the program.
Here is the link : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923159/
t-4-2

"yagsy" <yagsy@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I'm having very annoying problems with my windows update and defender.
> Automatic works, but the updates just fail to install. I keep getting the
> error code 80240016.
> Windows Defender 'can't check for definition updates'. Keep getting the
> error code 0x80244019
> Last update was two months ago now...
> And I'v tried microsoft's error's help stuff and nothing. Also tried
> getting
> the updates from update.microsoft, but keep getting redirected to
> google:S:S:S
> Hope someone can help(Y)
>
> yagsy

Ǝиçεl

RE: Windows Update AND Windows Defender doesnt update
Hello Yagsy

When posting to this Newsgяoup at least provide us with details of the
operating system you are using including Service Pack level, and what is the
antivirus/security suite installed and is a 3rd party fiewall being used ??.
<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375>
-=-

0x80244019 WU_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_NOT_FOUND Same as HTTP status 404 - the
server cannot find the requested URI (Uniform Resource Identifier)
It means there is a problem contacting the server. Try again later.
--

You cannot download updates when you access the Windows Update Web site from
a Windows XP-based computer that is behind a firewall or a proxy server

Another user reported that clearing all cookies and temporary internet files
solved his problem and he was then able to install the update.

It seems possible that your Windows installation has been delibeяately
damaged by a trojan (Vundo, along any uninvited guests. (SDBot and ZLOB, all
protected by a rootkit.)) so as to prevent you updating your system or
removing the trojan.

Scan your computer now online and clean it for free!
<http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/tryscanner.htm>

A very good antimalware app are SUPERAntiSpyware (SAS) and MalwareBytes
Anti-Malware (MBAM) .

There is a fяee version (on demand scanning only), the paid for version
includes active monitoring, similar to Windows Defender:
<http://www.superantispyware.com/>
-=-

MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (MBAM) Same as above.
<http://www.malwarebytes.com/>
-=-

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315>
-=-

<http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic34773.html>
-=-

The redirect from MS sites to google is an indication that the system is
infected, Yagsy. Suggest you seek assistance at a reputable anti-malware
forum or contact MS for no-charge support in getting the malware removed:

If you're in the US or Canada, contact MS at 1-866-PCSafety [1-866-727-2338]

or

http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30

Please follow the above sugestions

Please report back so it may assist others who have the same pяoblem as you.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it woяks ºut.

Good luck

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"yagsy" wrote:

> I'm having very annoying problems with my windows update and defender.
> Automatic works, but the updates just fail to install. I keep getting the
> error code 80240016.
> Windows Defender 'can't check for definition updates'. Keep getting the
> error code 0x80244019
> Last update was two months ago now...
> And I'v tried microsoft's error's help stuff and nothing. Also tried getting
> the updates from update.microsoft, but keep getting redirected to google:S:S:S
> Hope someone can help(Y)
>
> yagsy

yagsy

RE: Windows Update AND Windows Defender doesnt update
Thanks for replying and offering a range of solutions to my annoying problem.=)
This is my first using this n I'm only 16..so you know.
AI'm running Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1, running Norton 360
AntiVirus and no 3rd party firewalls.

"0x80244019 WU_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_NOT_FOUND Same as HTTP status 404 - the
server cannot find the requested URI (Uniform Resource Identifier)"
Yeah I'v got this everytime I'v tried to go to download ANYTHING from the
microsoft website. (I'v only noticed this since I tried about a week ago now.)

I'v tried clearing all cookies and temporary internet files before, and that
didnt work

I'v run a comprehensive virus and spyware scan, and it didn't find anything...
And i just wanted to know what is a 'rootkit' is?

I tried the onecare scanner...but that seemed a little messed up and i
couldn't be bothered to look in to it right now.

I'm still in the process of 'getting' SUPERAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes
Anti-Malware...

Did the 'Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software'
thing, and nothing.

I'm clueless about the the redirect thing beacuse it says
'http://update.microsoft.com/' in the URL box, but shows googles page:S

Tanks again for the help before, hope you can sort me out on this stuff(Y)
lol.

yagsy

Re: Windows Update AND Windows Defender doesnt update
When does your Norton 360 subscription expire?

Are you aware of the fact that Norton 360 includes a (third-party) firewall?

You are seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

yagsy wrote:
> Thanks for replying and offering a range of solutions to my annoying
> problem.=) This is my first using this n I'm only 16..so you know.
> AI'm running Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1, running Norton
> 360
> AntiVirus and no 3rd party firewalls.
>
> "0x80244019 WU_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_NOT_FOUND Same as HTTP status 404 - the
> server cannot find the requested URI (Uniform Resource Identifier)"
> Yeah I'v got this everytime I'v tried to go to download ANYTHING from the
> microsoft website. (I'v only noticed this since I tried about a week ago
> now.)
>
> I'v tried clearing all cookies and temporary internet files before, and
> that
> didnt work
>
> I'v run a comprehensive virus and spyware scan, and it didn't find
> anything... And i just wanted to know what is a 'rootkit' is?
>
> I tried the onecare scanner...but that seemed a little messed up and i
> couldn't be bothered to look in to it right now.
>
> I'm still in the process of 'getting' SUPERAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes
> Anti-Malware...
>
> Did the 'Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive
> software'
> thing, and nothing.
>

> I'm clueless about the the redirect thing beacuse it says
> 'http://update.microsoft.com/' in the URL box, but shows googles page:S
>

> Tanks again for the help before, hope you can sort me out on this stuff(Y)
> lol.
>
> yagsy

Ǝиçεl

RE: Windows Update AND Windows Defender doesnt update

Rootkits are just a collection of hacktools that can be
installed once the attacker gains access to the system
usually including trojans, keyloggers, network sniffers
and trojan replacements of genuine system files like
netstat etc..

These are a serious threat but only if they can first
gain access to the system so having a strong Antivirus &
Firewall is more the issue than using MS Antispy to
detect them. The main use of these is so the attacker can
come back to the system at a later date and not be
detected and also to make removing infections more
difficult due to the user not being able to find all the
files.

The Only way you can avoid Rootkits is to block them
before they can enter your system, Rootkits are not used
to gain access they just make it easy for the attacker to
have control of the infected system without being
detected.

To install the Rootkit they still need to get access to
the pc so the main part of avoiding this is making sure
the security patches/service packs are up to date and
have a strong firewall and Antivirus running.

Sysinternals has RootKitRevealer which uses the same
method as Strider Ghostbuster to detect installed Rootkits

<http://www.sysinternals.com/Utilities/RootkitRevealer.html>

F-Secure Has Blacklight Beta (See site for info)

<http://www.europe.f-secure.com/blacklight/cure.shtml>

The best way is to avoid having to deal with them is by
having a fully patched system and strong Antivirus and
Firewall installed and being caution of what sites you
download and run files from so the Attacker doesnt get a
chance to install rootkits on the pc.

Rootkit
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootkit>

Rootkit
<http://www.eset.eu/threat-centre/threat-dictionary?inc=12325&inc=12333#12333>
- -- --

Here is a rootkit scanner that you should also use and keep for those once a
month scans
<http://www.grisoft.com/doc/download-free-anti-rootkit/us/crp/0>
- -- ---

Good luck
-=-

"yagsy" wrote:

> Thanks for replying and offering a range of solutions to my annoying problem.=)
> This is my first using this n I'm only 16..so you know.
> AI'm running Windows Vista Home Premium, Service Pack 1, running Norton 360
> AntiVirus and no 3rd party firewalls.
>
> "0x80244019 WU_E_PT_HTTP_STATUS_NOT_FOUND Same as HTTP status 404 - the
> server cannot find the requested URI (Uniform Resource Identifier)"
> Yeah I'v got this everytime I'v tried to go to download ANYTHING from the
> microsoft website. (I'v only noticed this since I tried about a week ago now.)
>
> I'v tried clearing all cookies and temporary internet files before, and that
> didnt work
>
> I'v run a comprehensive virus and spyware scan, and it didn't find anything...
> And i just wanted to know what is a 'rootkit' is?
>
> I tried the onecare scanner...but that seemed a little messed up and i
> couldn't be bothered to look in to it right now.
>
> I'm still in the process of 'getting' SUPERAntiSpyware and MalwareBytes
> Anti-Malware...
>
> Did the 'Unexplained computer behavior may be caused by deceptive software'
> thing, and nothing.
>

> I'm clueless about the the redirect thing beacuse it says
> 'http://update.microsoft.com/' in the URL box, but shows googles page:S
>

> Tanks again for the help before, hope you can sort me out on this stuff(Y)
> lol.
>
> yagsy

yagsy

RE: Windows Update AND Windows Defender doesnt update
I'd like to say that Ǝиçεl, u saved my ass! I downloaded Malwarebytes'
Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Professional, ran full scans and found a
load of 'stuff' that Norton didn't pick up on. I got rid of it, restarted my
laptop and windows update worked perfectly
Thanks for all the help, you I.T genius!

yagsy
yagsy

Re: Windows Update AND Windows Defender doesnt update
Hi PA Bear, thanks fo offering all that help but using Malwarebytes'
Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Professional sorted out my problem and
windows update works fine now
peaceeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

yagsy
Ǝиçεl

RE: Windows Update AND Windows Defender doesnt update
Hi Yagsy,

Your most welcome.

Nice of you to drop by to say that.

Glad to hear all is well now, and thanks for posting back.

(¯`·._.·Ǝиçεl·._.·´¯)

"yagsy" wrote:

> I'd like to say that Ǝиçεl, u saved my ass! I downloaded Malwarebytes'
> Anti-Malware and SUPERAntiSpyware Professional, ran full scans and found a
> load of 'stuff' that Norton didn't pick up on. I got rid of it, restarted my
> laptop and windows update worked perfectly
> Thanks for all the help, you I.T genius!
>
> yagsy

yagsy

RE: Windows Update AND Windows Defender doesnt update
Its the least i cud do since u helped me out
peace out dudeeeeeeeeeee
yagsy