windows update : denied access

Error number: 0x8DDD0018

windows update : denied access
Hi,

I have a 2003 dell inspiron 8200. I installed Norton antivirus last year and
my computer was so slow that it was impossible to use.

After a couple research on the web, I found out how to desactivate auto
windows update using DOS fonction in the start menu (run). Since then my
computer worked well but i'm unable to do my windows update...

Unfortunately I don't remember which fonction I desactivated and i'm unable
to reconfigure the auto update. When I use the normal procedure :

[Error number: 0x8DDD0018]
The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows services is
not running:

Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
high-priority updates for your computer)
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates download more
quickly and without problems if the download process is interrupted)
Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
troubleshooting, if needed)
To make sure these services are running:
1. Click Start, and then click Run.
2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and then click
Properties.
4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent Transfer
Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
Properties.
10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status is
Stopped click on the Start Button.
If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one of the
following resources.

it says ''access denied''

best regards,

windblowers
Shenan Stanley

Re: windows update : denied access
Error number: 0x8DDD0018 wrote:
> I have a 2003 dell inspiron 8200. I installed Norton antivirus last
> year and my computer was so slow that it was impossible to use.
>
> After a couple research on the web, I found out how to desactivate
> auto windows update using DOS fonction in the start menu (run).
> Since then my computer worked well but i'm unable to do my windows
> update...
>
> Unfortunately I don't remember which fonction I desactivated and
> i'm unable to reconfigure the auto update. When I use the normal
> procedure :
>
> [Error number: 0x8DDD0018]
> The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows
> services is not running:
>
> Automatic Updates (allows the site to find, download and install
> high-priority updates for your computer)
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) (helps updates
> download more quickly and without problems if the download process
> is interrupted)
> Event Log (keeps a record of updating activities to help with
> troubleshooting, if needed)
> To make sure these services are running:
> 1. Click Start, and then click Run.
> 2. Type services.msc and then click OK.
> 3. In the list of services, double-click on Automatic Updates and
> then click Properties.
> 4. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 5. Verify that the Service status is started, if the Service Status
> is Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 6. In the list of services, double-click on Background Intelligent
> Transfer Service (BITS) and then click Properties.
> 7. In the Startup type list, select Manual and click Apply.
> 8. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service Status
> is Stopped click on the Start Button.
> 9. In the list of services, double-click on Event Log and then click
> Properties.
> 10. In the Startup type list, select Automatic and click Apply.
> 11. Verify that the Service status is started, If the Service
> Status is Stopped click on the Start Button.
> If this does not resolve the problem you may request help from one
> of the following resources.
>

> it says ''access denied''

Are you logged in with a user with administrative rights?
Have you tried scanning with something like MalwareBytes or
SuperAntiSpyware?

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP