KB969685 - Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003

B Wilderd

KB969685 - Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003
I have Excel Viewer 2003 installed which is detected by Microsoft Update,
however the recent security update fails to install either using Micosoft
Update, or Office Update or downloading and run the executable file.

Does anyone have any solution?

Re: KB969685 - Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003
And the installation failure error message is...?

See the 'How to obtain help...' section of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969685

B Wilderd wrote:
> I have Excel Viewer 2003 installed which is detected by Microsoft Update,
> however the recent security update fails to install either using Micosoft
> Update, or Office Update or downloading and run the executable file.
>
> Does anyone have any solution?

MowGreen

B Wilderd wrote:

> I have Excel Viewer 2003 installed which is detected by Microsoft Update,
> however the recent security update fails to install either using Micosoft
> Update, or Office Update or downloading and run the executable file.
>
> Does anyone have any solution?

*If* the installation file was deleted then you're going to have to
uninstall Excel Viewer 2003, download it once more and *save* it,
install it, and then wait for automatic updates to offer up the
subsequent updates.
Make sure you save xlviewer.exe to a place where it will not be deleted.
Alternatively, you can download, *save*, and install the latest release
of Excel Viewer:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-f33f669dbc3a
And then wait for any subsequent updates for it.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
B Wilderd

Re: KB969685 - Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2
The installation failure error message I get only after trying to update from
a downloaded executable is that the expected version of the product was not
found on (my) system. So I uninstalled xlviewer.exe then reinstalled it but
get the same error message when trying to update it with the executable file
of the KB969685 security update.
B Wilderd

Re: KB969685 - Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2
Thanks. Since KB969685 does not update xlviewer.exe which it should, I
removed xlviewer.exe and installed excelviewer.exe then ran Microsoft Update
which updated ExcelViewer.exe with KB969686 and Excel Viewer 2007 SP2.
Everything seems okay now. Regards B Wilderd but Happy too!
MowGreen

B Wilderd wrote:

> Thanks. Since KB969685 does not update xlviewer.exe which it should, I
> removed xlviewer.exe and installed excelviewer.exe then ran Microsoft Update
> which updated ExcelViewer.exe with KB969686 and Excel Viewer 2007 SP2.
> Everything seems okay now. Regards B Wilderd but Happy too!

Ain't this fun ? Color me bewhiskered and bewildered, too !
I use to be able to find the installation logs for Excel Viewer updates
but the Office PG decided to hide them better. So, I gave up trying to
find them. <w>

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Re: KB969685 - Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2
Are you using Secunia PSI?

If the update was not offered by Automatic Updates/Windows Update, chances
are that you didn't have the required software (of software version)
installed.

Judging from your other posts, it sounds like installing & updating Excel
Viewer 2007 SP2 made everything right.

B Wilderd wrote:
> The installation failure error message I get only after trying to update
> from a downloaded executable is that the expected version of the product
> was not found on (my) system. So I uninstalled xlviewer.exe then
> reinstalled it but get the same error message when trying to update it
> with
> the executable file of the KB969685 security update.

Stefan Kanthak

"MowGreen" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote:

> B Wilderd wrote:
>
>> I have Excel Viewer 2003 installed which is detected by Microsoft Update,
>> however the recent security update fails to install either using Micosoft
>> Update, or Office Update or downloading and run the executable file.
>>
>> Does anyone have any solution?

You omitted all information about the (error) messages and return
codes given.

> *If* the installation file was deleted then you're going to have to
> uninstall Excel Viewer 2003, download it once more and *save* it,

That's COMPLETE nonsense!
Neither XLVIEWER.EXE nor the "real" installation files (XLVIEW.MSI,
XLVIEWER.CAB, XLVIEW.XML, SETUP.INI, SETUP.EXE, OSE.EXE*) need to be
present to install an update for Excel Viewer!

XLVIEWER.EXE is a self-extracting self-installing IExpress "package".
Once executed it unpacks its contents (see above) to a subdirectory
created in "%TEMP%", starts "%TEMP%\...\SETUP.EXE" and removes this
subdirectory afterwards. There is no trace left from XLVIEWER.EXE in
any registry entry relevant to Office, MSI or WU/MU/AU.

Stefan

* Since the IExpress extraction does not create the proper directory
structure (see XLVIEW.XML) the installation files are NOT written
to \MSOCache\ although the "Office Source Engine" gets installed.

frustrated beyond belief

Re: KB969685 - Security Update for Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2
I too am having problems with this download and my computer has been trying
to download for a month now. I need very simple instructions on how to
eithere delete this down load or get it to install as I am NOT computer savy.
the erro code I get is 0x57A I appreciate any help/simpe instructions anyone
can give me. I do not have the CD to reinstall as it came pre installed on my
comuter and I can not find the key numbers either

"MowGreen" wrote:

> B Wilderd wrote:
>
> > I have Excel Viewer 2003 installed which is detected by Microsoft Update,
> > however the recent security update fails to install either using Micosoft
> > Update, or Office Update or downloading and run the executable file.
> >
> > Does anyone have any solution?

> *If* the installation file was deleted then you're going to have to
> uninstall Excel Viewer 2003, download it once more and *save* it,
> install it, and then wait for automatic updates to offer up the
> subsequent updates.
> Make sure you save xlviewer.exe to a place where it will not be deleted.
> Alternatively, you can download, *save*, and install the latest release
> of Excel Viewer:
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...f-f33f669dbc3a
> And then wait for any subsequent updates for it.
>

> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============

Robert Aldwinckle

"frustrated beyond belief" <frustrated beyond belief@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I too am having problems with this download and my computer has been trying
> to download for a month now. I need very simple instructions on how to
> eithere delete this down load or get it to install as I am NOT computer savy.

> the erro code I get is 0x57A

Are you sure about that? Where do you see it? If it's in a log
give us some context from messages before that code is given.
If you are sure of that code, you could use its decimal equivalent
as a second search term and if found report its context too.

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">
E:\>set /a c = 0x57A
1402
E:\>net helpmsg %c%

Invalid cursor handle.
</cmd_output>

FWIW I'm dubious about your code... ; )

(BING search for
"invalid cursor handle" site:microsoft.com
)

<quote>
As part of its user interface, an application has tried to operate on
a mouse cursor without specifying which one.
</quote>

I guess we should also ask if you use more than one pointer device
at time... ; }

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---