KB969679 downloads, but fails to install

I Dig Weeds

KB969679 downloads, but fails to install
I am working with a Windows XP Pro SP3 OS. I have Office XP 2002 with the
Office 2007 compatibility pack installed. The update that fails to install
is a security update to this pack that I accessed through Micrsosoft
Update. The pack apparently successfully downloaded, but when it gets to
the part where it is supposed to install the update, the installation
stalls before it can even show up on the progress indicator bar. I have
waited around for hours to see if it would do anything, but to no avail.

The update also shows up on the shield icon in the system notification
area, and I have told it to download the file, but since it thinks it is
already downaloded and only needs to be installed, there is no attempt on
the part of autoupdates to redownload it.

I think the downloaded file is corrupted somehow. How can I reset things so
that it will redownload the update?

Re: KB969679 downloads, but fails to install
Let's back up a bit.

Is Automatic Updates (AU) set to the Automatic, Download but Notify, or
Notify Only option?
cf. http://support.microsoft.com/kb/306525

The [update] apparently successfully downloaded...

Why do you say "apparently"?

If you hover your cursor over the AU icon in Notification Area, what does
the balloon-tip say (e.g., Downloading updates; Updates are ready for your
computer; Installing updates)?

I Dig Weeds wrote:
> I am working with a Windows XP Pro SP3 OS. I have Office XP 2002 with the
> Office 2007 compatibility pack installed. The update that fails to install
> is a security update to this pack that I accessed through Micrsosoft
> Update. The pack apparently successfully downloaded, but when it gets to
> the part where it is supposed to install the update, the installation
> stalls before it can even show up on the progress indicator bar. I have
> waited around for hours to see if it would do anything, but to no avail.
>
> The update also shows up on the shield icon in the system notification
> area, and I have told it to download the file, but since it thinks it is
> already downaloded and only needs to be installed, there is no attempt on
> the part of autoupdates to redownload it.
>
> I think the downloaded file is corrupted somehow. How can I reset things
> so
> that it will redownload the update?

I Dig Weeds

Re: KB969679 downloads, but fails to install
New information on my problem. Now when I got to Microsoft update and
attempt to install the update, I no longer get a stallled insinstalltion
winodw. Now it instantly displays a "Some updates failed to install"
window and lists the update in question.

I Dig Weeds

Re: KB969679 downloads, but fails to install
More... here's what it said when I closed the window:

Problem: Automatic Updates is currently installing updates
Solution: Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then check
your update history. At that time, if the update has failed to install, you
can try installing it from the website.
Note: To view Automatic Updates progress, click the updating icon in your
System Tray

Only thing is, there is no shield in the system tray and the network icon
indicates no transfers of information is going on.

Re: KB969679 downloads, but fails to install
Patience is a virtue. Wait longer (e.g., 12 hours or more).

PS: To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the

I Dig Weeds wrote:
> More... here's what it said when I closed the window:
>
> Problem: Automatic Updates is currently installing updates
> Solution: Please wait until Automatic Updates is complete and then check
> your update history. At that time, if the update has failed to install,
> you
> can try installing it from the website.
> Note: To view Automatic Updates progress, click the updating icon in your
> System Tray
>
> Only thing is, there is no shield in the system tray and the network icon
> indicates no transfers of information is going on.

I Dig Weeds

Re: KB969679 downloads, but fails to install
I wholeheartedly agree, patience is a virtue.. and one which I can say I
have. Except for two reboots, my machine has been running for the past 48
hours with those silly windows open. My current mode of attack is now
Administrative Options. I am downloading the executable version of the
update.

I'll take your suggestion (concerning keeping previous comments) under
advisement. Some of my posts and replies get so long that the starting
comments no longer have any bearing on the subject at the discussion's end.
In this case I did cut it way too short. I was operating in email mode,
where editing out unnecessary verbiage and adjectives is more often
regarded as a virtue.

> Patience is a virtue. Wait longer (e.g., 12 hours or more).
>
> PS: To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the

Re: KB969679 downloads, but fails to install
Whatever

You could always...

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB969679).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

I Dig Weeds wrote:
> I wholeheartedly agree, patience is a virtue.. and one which I can say I
> have. Except for two reboots, my machine has been running for the past 48
> hours with those silly windows open. My current mode of attack is now
> Administrative Options. I am downloading the executable version of the
> update.
>
> I'll take your suggestion (concerning keeping previous comments) under
> advisement. Some of my posts and replies get so long that the starting
> comments no longer have any bearing on the subject at the discussion's
> end.
> In this case I did cut it way too short. I was operating in email mode,
> where editing out unnecessary verbiage and adjectives is more often
> regarded as a virtue.

>> Patience is a virtue. Wait longer (e.g., 12 hours or more).
>>
>> PS: To keep track of things, it helps immensely if you quote all of the

I Dig Weeds

Re: KB969679 downloads, but fails to install
Thanks anyway. The execuatable worked like a charm.