Re: Windows update error code 800B0100

Tae Song

"kidA" <kidA.3tihef@no.email.invalid> wrote in message
news:kidA.3tihef@no.email.invalid...

> Tae Song;1028160 Wrote:
>> "Peter Foldes" <okf22@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> > Tae Song
>> >
>> > Hog Wash. For Windows Update error's and any other ones using the CBS

>> .log
>> > is like trying spit against the wind. Would you kindly stop using

>> this
>> > method in most of your posts.It does not help.
>> > If you cannot research the issue properly then do not do it all .

>> Thank
>> > You
>> >
>> > --
>> > Peter

>> It worked for me when I couldn't get SP2 to install. I went through
>> CBS.log
>> and found the problems and removed them from the registry. I installed
>> SP2,
>> no problems.

> TAE YOUR A HERO!, after nearly 5 months of zero updates due to the
> dreaded 0x80070490 error - tried the TAE registry open heart surgery and
> wham I'm now downloading much needed vista updates..
>
> Here's my steps: downloaded the update readiness tool from Microsoft
> ("checkSUR" - google it). After running it I found 2 registry errors
> (look in "/windows/logs/checkSUR.log" to see the results):
>
> "Checking packages.
> (f) CBS Registry
> Error 0x80070002
> Package_27_for_KB937286~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.0.1.18000 failed
> to get CurrentState
> (f) CBS Registry
> Error 0x80070002
> Package_27_for_KB937286~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.0.1.18000 failed
> to get Visibility
>
> Checking component store
> Found 2 errors"
>
> So off I goes into the registry (having done full system restore & reg
> backup) and delete all references to (in my case):
>
> "Package_27_for_KB937286~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~ en-US~6.0.1.18000"
>
> Jumped into windows update - clicked update & (after a while) bang -
> there are 29 updates for me to download - YIPPEE.
>
> NO 3hr Vista Upgrade (Which I couldn't do because I have dell OEM Vista
> Business)
>
> Hope it works for you!

I glad you got it working! Cross posting to microsoft.public.windowsupdate
for proof this is how to troubleshoot many Windows Update problem.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Re: Windows update error code 800B0100
Ouch! Removing those registry entries sounds like a very dangerous move.
There's no telling what the side-effects could be.

I haven't used Vista enough to know what the correct way to fix this class of
problem is, but I very much doubt this is it.

kidA: I recommend backing up your files and doing a full reinstall (not a
repair) of your operating system.

Tae: if you have Microsoft documentation to support use of this procedure,
please provide the appropriate links.

Harry.

"Harry Johnston [MVP]" <harry@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message
> Ouch! Removing those registry entries sounds like a very dangerous move.
> There's no telling what the side-effects could be.
>
> I haven't used Vista enough to know what the correct way to fix this class
> of problem is, but I very much doubt this is it.
>
> kidA: I recommend backing up your files and doing a full reinstall (not a
> repair) of your operating system.
>
> Tae: if you have Microsoft documentation to support use of this procedure,
> please provide the appropriate links.
>
> Harry.
>
> Tae Song wrote:
>
>> "kidA" <kidA.3tihef@no.email.invalid> wrote in message

>>> TAE YOUR A HERO!, after nearly 5 months of zero updates due to the
>>> dreaded 0x80070490 error - tried the TAE registry open heart surgery and
>>> wham I'm now downloading much needed vista updates..
>>>
>>> Here's my steps: downloaded the update readiness tool from Microsoft
>>> ("checkSUR" - google it). After running it I found 2 registry errors
>>> (look in "/windows/logs/checkSUR.log" to see the results):
>>>
>>> "Checking packages.
>>> (f) CBS Registry
>>> Error 0x80070002
>>> Package_27_for_KB937286~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.0.1.18000 failed
>>> to get CurrentState
>>> (f) CBS Registry
>>> Error 0x80070002
>>> Package_27_for_KB937286~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~en-US~6.0.1.18000 failed
>>> to get Visibility
>>>
>>> Checking component store
>>> Found 2 errors"
>>>
>>> So off I goes into the registry (having done full system restore & reg
>>> backup) and delete all references to (in my case):
>>>
>>> "Package_27_for_KB937286~31bf3856ad364e35~x86~ en-US~6.0.1.18000"
>>>
>>> Jumped into windows update - clicked update & (after a while) bang -
>>> there are 29 updates for me to download - YIPPEE.
>>>
>>> NO 3hr Vista Upgrade (Which I couldn't do because I have dell OEM Vista
>>> Business)
>>>
>>> Hope it works for you!
>>>

>> I glad you got it working! Cross posting to
>> microsoft.public.windowsupdate for proof this is how to troubleshoot many
>> Windows Update problem.

Editing the registry by hand is always dangerous, which is why I tell them
to back up the entries before deleting them.

For whatever reason, sometimes there will be system file(s) installed that
doesn't match up with the what it says in the registry.

My theory is there is in some cases if you do a point restore, some system
files are replaced with a previous version.

Registry keys are changed back to work with these system files, however the
entries for the latest system files that used to be installed is not
deleted. Since they are kept for record purposes only.

When you run System File Checker, it looks at these records in the registry
and uses the LATEST system file entry which does not match with the system
file you have installed because the system restored an older version.

Windows Update runs the same kind of check on the system files, before
attempting to install updates.

This is why I ask people to run SFC to isolate which entries are no longer
valid. Assuming this is caused by System Restore, it SHOULD delete or flag
the entries as no longer installed when it replaces a new system file with
an older one.

As far as I can tell it does not do this, so what I am doing is having
people go in and manually delete the invalid entries.

Does that make sense?

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Tae Song wrote:

> Editing the registry by hand is always dangerous, which is why I tell
> them to back up the entries before deleting them.

Not really adequate IMO since problems may develop later, by which time there
won't be any way to tell what caused them.

However, since MowGreen has found a reference to a MS engineer recommending the
same procedure, that's moot now. :-)

Harry.

> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" <harry@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message
>> Ouch! Removing those registry entries sounds like a very dangerous
>> move. There's no telling what the side-effects could be.
>>
>> I haven't used Vista enough to know what the correct way to fix this
>> class of problem is, but I very much doubt this is it.
>>
>> kidA: I recommend backing up your files and doing a full reinstall
>> (not a repair) of your operating system.
>>
>> Tae: if you have Microsoft documentation to support use of this
>> procedure, please provide the appropriate links.
>>
>> Harry.
>>
>> Tae Song wrote:
>>
>>> "kidA" <kidA.3tihef@no.email.invalid> wrote in message

>>> I glad you got it working! Cross posting to
>>> microsoft.public.windowsupdate for proof this is how to troubleshoot
>>> many Windows Update problem.

> Editing the registry by hand is always dangerous, which is why I tell
> them to back up the entries before deleting them.
>
> For whatever reason, sometimes there will be system file(s) installed
> that doesn't match up with the what it says in the registry.
>
> My theory is there is in some cases if you do a point restore, some
> system files are replaced with a previous version.
>
> Registry keys are changed back to work with these system files, however
> the entries for the latest system files that used to be installed is not
> deleted. Since they are kept for record purposes only.
>
> When you run System File Checker, it looks at these records in the
> registry and uses the LATEST system file entry which does not match with
> the system file you have installed because the system restored an older
> version.
>
> Windows Update runs the same kind of check on the system files, before
> attempting to install updates.
>
> This is why I ask people to run SFC to isolate which entries are no
> longer valid. Assuming this is caused by System Restore, it SHOULD
> delete or flag the entries as no longer installed when it replaces a new
> system file with an older one.
>
> As far as I can tell it does not do this, so what I am doing is having
> people go in and manually delete the invalid entries.
>
> Does that make sense?

Tae Song

> Tae Song wrote:
>
> > Editing the registry by hand is always dangerous, which is why I tell
> > them to back up the entries before deleting them.

> Not really adequate IMO since problems may develop later, by which time
> there won't be any way to tell what caused them.
>
> However, since MowGreen has found a reference to a MS engineer
> recommending the same procedure, that's moot now. :-)
>
> Harry.
>
>> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" <harry@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message
>>> Ouch! Removing those registry entries sounds like a very dangerous
>>> move. There's no telling what the side-effects could be.
>>>
>>> I haven't used Vista enough to know what the correct way to fix this
>>> class of problem is, but I very much doubt this is it.
>>>
>>> kidA: I recommend backing up your files and doing a full reinstall (not
>>> a repair) of your operating system.
>>>
>>> Tae: if you have Microsoft documentation to support use of this
>>> procedure, please provide the appropriate links.
>>>
>>> Harry.

>> Editing the registry by hand is always dangerous, which is why I tell
>> them to back up the entries before deleting them.
>>
>> For whatever reason, sometimes there will be system file(s) installed
>> that doesn't match up with the what it says in the registry.
>>
>> My theory is there is in some cases if you do a point restore, some
>> system files are replaced with a previous version.
>>
>> Registry keys are changed back to work with these system files, however
>> the entries for the latest system files that used to be installed is not
>> deleted. Since they are kept for record purposes only.
>>
>> When you run System File Checker, it looks at these records in the
>> registry and uses the LATEST system file entry which does not match with
>> the system file you have installed because the system restored an older
>> version.
>>
>> Windows Update runs the same kind of check on the system files, before
>> attempting to install updates.
>>
>> This is why I ask people to run SFC to isolate which entries are no
>> longer valid. Assuming this is caused by System Restore, it SHOULD
>> delete or flag the entries as no longer installed when it replaces a new
>> system file with an older one.
>>
>> As far as I can tell it does not do this, so what I am doing is having
>> people go in and manually delete the invalid entries.
>>
>> Does that make sense?

It's no where near as dangerous than using a registry cleaner.

You could always attempt to put the entries back after a few successful
updates and run SFC again to check if they are still causing a problem.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Tae Song wrote:

> It's no where near as dangerous than using a registry cleaner.

Agreed. Shooting yourself in the foot is nowhere near as dangerous as shooting
yourself in the head! :-)

Harry.

> Tae Song wrote:
>
> > It's no where near as dangerous than using a registry cleaner.

> Agreed. Shooting yourself in the foot is nowhere near as dangerous as
> shooting yourself in the head! :-)
>
> Harry.
>
>> "Harry Johnston [MVP]" <harry@scms.waikato.ac.nz> wrote in message

>>> Not really adequate IMO since problems may develop later, by which time
>>> there won't be any way to tell what caused them.
>>>
>>> However, since MowGreen has found a reference to a MS engineer
>>> recommending the same procedure, that's moot now. :-)
>>>
>>> Harry.

>> It's no where near as dangerous than using a registry cleaner.
>>
>> You could always attempt to put the entries back after a few successful
>> updates and run SFC again to check if they are still causing a problem.

I prefer someone else's description of it like being surgery. You can undo
a heart bypass. You undo a registry change. You can't undo a gun shot
wound.

If someone is that concerned, they can always put the keys back after
updating. If it stops them again from updating, take the key(s) out,
update, put the keys back. Repeat until Window Update works with keys in
the registry.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

Tae Song wrote:

> I prefer someone else's description of it like being surgery. You can
> undo a heart bypass. You undo a registry change. You can't undo a gun
> shot wound.

Much like surgery, while you can undo a registry change - provided, that is,
that it didn't kill the patient in the meantime! - you can't necessarily undo
the side-effects of having made the change.

It's a matter of taste, really; personally, I prefer not to mess with the
registry unless I have a reasonable understanding of the function of the keys in
question. In other words, if you're not sure exactly what the heart does, it's
probably best not to perform a heart bypass. :-)

Harry.