KB969897 fails to install

dak

KB969897 fails to install
Is there anyone running Windows XP and IE8?

I am having problems installing the latest Windows Update KB969897, it fails
with the following error in the update log:

98.312: DoRegistryUpdates:UpdSpInstallFromInfSection Failed for
ProductInstall.GlobalRegistryChanges.Install error: 0x5
98.312: INF_REGISTRY Failed
98.312: DoInstallationoRegistryUpdates failed
98.422: Access is denied.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Sue J Thomas

Re: KB969897 fails to install
My page says this update is for IE 7, not 8.
Sue
"dak" <dak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Is there anyone running Windows XP and IE8?
>
> I am having problems installing the latest Windows Update KB969897, it
> fails
> with the following error in the update log:
>
> 98.312: DoRegistryUpdates:UpdSpInstallFromInfSection Failed for
> ProductInstall.GlobalRegistryChanges.Install error: 0x5
> 98.312: INF_REGISTRY Failed
> 98.312: DoInstallationoRegistryUpdates failed
> 98.422: Access is denied.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

Gerry

Re: KB969897 fails to install
Dak

Have you tried temporarily disabling anti-virus, anti-spyware and
firewall and retrying installation?

Accessing the Microsoft Update web site has today been more problematic
than usual. You may find the problem goes away tomorrow.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dak wrote:
> Is there anyone running Windows XP and IE8?
>
> I am having problems installing the latest Windows Update KB969897,
> it fails with the following error in the update log:
>
> 98.312: DoRegistryUpdates:UpdSpInstallFromInfSection Failed for
> ProductInstall.GlobalRegistryChanges.Install error: 0x5
> 98.312: INF_REGISTRY Failed
> 98.312: DoInstallationoRegistryUpdates failed
> 98.422: Access is denied.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

dak

Re: KB969897 fails to install
Please see:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...7805a33da08#tm

"Sue J Thomas" wrote:

> My page says this update is for IE 7, not 8.
> Sue
> "dak" <dak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Is there anyone running Windows XP and IE8?
> >
> > I am having problems installing the latest Windows Update KB969897, it
> > fails
> > with the following error in the update log:
> >
> > 98.312: DoRegistryUpdates:UpdSpInstallFromInfSection Failed for
> > ProductInstall.GlobalRegistryChanges.Install error: 0x5
> > 98.312: INF_REGISTRY Failed
> > 98.312: DoInstallationoRegistryUpdates failed
> > 98.422: Access is denied.
> >
> > Has anyone else had this problem?

dak

Re: KB969897 fails to install
I alreadey have the update downloaded to my computer, so Microsoft Update
web site being busy should not be a problem.

Also, all the other updates from today downloaded and installed fine.

"Gerry" wrote:

> Dak
>
> Have you tried temporarily disabling anti-virus, anti-spyware and
> firewall and retrying installation?
>
> Accessing the Microsoft Update web site has today been more problematic
> than usual. You may find the problem goes away tomorrow.
>
> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> dak wrote:
> > Is there anyone running Windows XP and IE8?
> >
> > I am having problems installing the latest Windows Update KB969897,
> > it fails with the following error in the update log:
> >
> > 98.312: DoRegistryUpdates:UpdSpInstallFromInfSection Failed for
> > ProductInstall.GlobalRegistryChanges.Install error: 0x5
> > 98.312: INF_REGISTRY Failed
> > 98.312: DoInstallationoRegistryUpdates failed
> > 98.422: Access is denied.
> >
> > Has anyone else had this problem?

Gerry

Re: KB969897 fails to install
Sue

The update is for both. Read the bit towards the end of this link:

Windows Internet Explorer 8, when used with: etc

MS09-019: Cumulative security update for Internet Explorer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969897

Warning printing the Article will require many pages of paper. Print
Preview suggested 99 pages before an error was generated.

--

Gerry
~~~~

Sue J Thomas wrote:
> My page says this update is for IE 7, not 8. > Sue
> "dak" <dak@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>> Is there anyone running Windows XP and IE8?
>>
>> I am having problems installing the latest Windows Update KB969897,
>> it fails
>> with the following error in the update log:
>>
>> 98.312: DoRegistryUpdates:UpdSpInstallFromInfSection Failed for
>> ProductInstall.GlobalRegistryChanges.Install error: 0x5
>> 98.312: INF_REGISTRY Failed
>> 98.312: DoInstallationoRegistryUpdates failed
>> 98.422: Access is denied.
>>
>> Has anyone else had this problem?

Gerry

Re: KB969897 fails to install
Dak

They did here but I did encounter some installation difficulties before
completing.

I would try again tomorrow by turning of Automatic updates and try a
Custom Install.

Start, Help and Support, Keep your Windows up- to-date with Windows
Update, Custom. Select your update and download and install.

The website is problematic at the moment so leave it for now to give
Microsoft time to resolve what is obviously a server problem.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

dak wrote:
> I alreadey have the update downloaded to my computer, so Microsoft
> Update web site being busy should not be a problem.
>
> Also, all the other updates from today downloaded and installed fine.
>
> "Gerry" wrote:
>
>> Dak
>>
>> Have you tried temporarily disabling anti-virus, anti-spyware and
>> firewall and retrying installation?
>>
>> Accessing the Microsoft Update web site has today been more
>> problematic than usual. You may find the problem goes away tomorrow.
>>
>> --
>>

>> Hope this helps.
>>
>> Gerry
>> ~~~~
>> FCA
>> Stourport, England
>> Enquire, plan and execute
>> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>>

>> dak wrote:
>>> Is there anyone running Windows XP and IE8?
>>>
>>> I am having problems installing the latest Windows Update KB969897,
>>> it fails with the following error in the update log:
>>>
>>> 98.312: DoRegistryUpdates:UpdSpInstallFromInfSection Failed for
>>> ProductInstall.GlobalRegistryChanges.Install error: 0x5
>>> 98.312: INF_REGISTRY Failed
>>> 98.312: DoInstallationoRegistryUpdates failed
>>> 98.422: Access is denied.
>>>
>>> Has anyone else had this problem?

Re: KB969897 fails to install
Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?

How long has IE8 been installed?

Did any of the other June 2009 updates fail to install?

Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?

Possible fix:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...in-windows-xp/

dak wrote:
> Is there anyone running Windows XP and IE8?
>
> I am having problems installing the latest Windows Update KB969897, it
> fails
> with the following error in the update log:
>
> 98.312: DoRegistryUpdates:UpdSpInstallFromInfSection Failed for
> ProductInstall.GlobalRegistryChanges.Install error: 0x5
> 98.312: INF_REGISTRY Failed
> 98.312: DoInstallationoRegistryUpdates failed
> 98.422: Access is denied.
>
> Has anyone else had this problem?

dak

Re: KB969897 fails to install
I am running XP SP3

all other june 2009 updates installed fine

Symantec EndPoint Protection 11.0.4010.19

Running just Windows Defender

I will try the possible fix and let you know

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Are you running WinXP SP2 or SP3?
>
> How long has IE8 been installed?
>
> Did any of the other June 2009 updates fail to install?

> What third-party firewall (if any)? Were any of these applications running
> in the background when you installed IE8?

> Just asking for now!! Do NOT use such a Restore Point yet!! => Do you have
> an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
>
> Possible fix:
> http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...in-windows-xp/
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> dak wrote:
> > Is there anyone running Windows XP and IE8?
> >
> > I am having problems installing the latest Windows Update KB969897, it
> > fails
> > with the following error in the update log:
> >
> > 98.312: DoRegistryUpdates:UpdSpInstallFromInfSection Failed for
> > ProductInstall.GlobalRegistryChanges.Install error: 0x5
> > 98.312: INF_REGISTRY Failed
> > 98.312: DoInstallationoRegistryUpdates failed
> > 98.422: Access is denied.
> >
> > Has anyone else had this problem?

dak

Re: KB969897 fails to install
Thanks everyone help your help. I got kb969897 installed.

Either the Possible fix:
http://www.winhelponline.com/blog/re...in-windows-xp/
did the trick OR Disabling Symantec EndPoint Protection. One of those two
things fix the problem.