windows update & services.msc

keith

windows update & services.msc
Hi,

Windows XP SP3
I am unable to access Windows Update. It was suggested I type
'services.msc' into the Run dialog and make changes as required
there . . .change Automatic Updates to automatic etc. I have done this
sucessfully in the past, however now when I try to enable these
services I can't. I get an 'Access Denied' dialog.
I am the system administrator (it's my home computer). Can anyone
enlighten me as to how I can regain control over these settings under
Run > 'services.msc' ?
I have fought off a virus recently and do scan regularily with AVG
Anti Virus. Maybe it picked up on something - such as a registry
problem - and I deleted it without knowing. Just a guess.

Thank you for any help,
Keith
Ǝиçεl

RE: windows update & services.msc
Hello Keith,

I recommend downloading and installing
MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM) and
SUPERAntiSpywaяe (SAS).

Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes' and
SUPERAntiSpywaяe.

<http://www.superantispyware.com/>

Reboot
-=-

<http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
Reboot
-=-
The programs are free. (There is a paid version but
you don't need to buy it to remove malware.)
-=-

Good luck

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"keith" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Windows XP SP3
> I am unable to access Windows Update. It was suggested I type
> 'services.msc' into the Run dialog and make changes as required
> there . . .change Automatic Updates to automatic etc. I have done this
> sucessfully in the past, however now when I try to enable these
> services I can't. I get an 'Access Denied' dialog.
> I am the system administrator (it's my home computer). Can anyone
> enlighten me as to how I can regain control over these settings under
> Run > 'services.msc' ?
> I have fought off a virus recently and do scan regularily with AVG
> Anti Virus. Maybe it picked up on something - such as a registry
> problem - and I deleted it without knowing. Just a guess.
>
> Thank you for any help,
> Keith

keith

On Jun 9, 7:02*pm, Ǝиçεl <l...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> Hello Keith,
>
> I recommend downloading and installing
> MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM) and
> SUPERAntiSpywaяe (SAS).
>
> Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes' and
> SUPERAntiSpywaяe.
>
> <http://www.superantispyware.com/> *
>
> Reboot
> -=-
>
> <http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php> *
> Reboot
> -=-
> The programs are free. (There is a paid version but
> you don't need to buy it to remove malware.)
> -=-
>
> Good luck
>
> Ǝиçεl
> -=-
>

> "keith" wrote:
> > Hi,

> > Windows XP SP3
> > I am unable to access Windows Update. It was suggested I type
> > 'services.msc' into the Run dialog and make changes as required
> > there . . .change Automatic Updates to automatic etc. I have done this
> > sucessfully in the past, however now when I try to enable these
> > services I can't. I get an 'Access Denied' dialog.
> > I am the system administrator (it's my home computer). Can anyone
> > enlighten me as to how I can regain control over these settings under
> > Run > 'services.msc' ?
> > I have fought off a virus recently and do scan regularily with AVG
> > Anti Virus. Maybe it picked up on something - such as a registry
> > problem - and I deleted it without knowing. Just a guess.

> > Thank you for any help,
> > Keith- Hide quoted text -

Thanks. I already have both those programs. Lately my system has been
clean of malware.
Since first posting, I find I cannot run disk defragment or check disk
either. I've tried re-registering dll files. Some succeed, others
dont.
I've also run the system file checker. It's a mystery. Something is
screwed (understatement).
Keith

Re: windows update & services.msc
Nevertheless, there is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of
a hijackware infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

keith wrote:
> On Jun 9, 7:02 pm, Ǝиçεl <l...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>> Hello Keith,
>>
>> I recommend downloading and installing
>> MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM) and
>> SUPERAntiSpywaяe (SAS).
>>
>> Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes' and
>> SUPERAntiSpywaяe.
>>
>> <http://www.superantispyware.com/>
>>
>> Reboot
>> -=-
>>
>> <http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
>> Reboot
>> -=-
>> The programs are free. (There is a paid version but
>> you don't need to buy it to remove malware.)
>> -=-
>>
>> Good luck
>>
>> Ǝиçεl
>> -=-
>>

>> "keith" wrote:
>>> Hi,

>>> Windows XP SP3
>>> I am unable to access Windows Update. It was suggested I type
>>> 'services.msc' into the Run dialog and make changes as required
>>> there . . .change Automatic Updates to automatic etc. I have done this
>>> sucessfully in the past, however now when I try to enable these
>>> services I can't. I get an 'Access Denied' dialog.
>>> I am the system administrator (it's my home computer). Can anyone
>>> enlighten me as to how I can regain control over these settings under
>>> Run > 'services.msc' ?
>>> I have fought off a virus recently and do scan regularily with AVG
>>> Anti Virus. Maybe it picked up on something - such as a registry
>>> problem - and I deleted it without knowing. Just a guess.

>>> Thank you for any help,
>>> Keith- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks. I already have both those programs. Lately my system has been
> clean of malware.
> Since first posting, I find I cannot run disk defragment or check disk
> either. I've tried re-registering dll files. Some succeed, others
> dont.
> I've also run the system file checker. It's a mystery. Something is
> screwed (understatement).
> Keith

keith

On Jun 9, 9:33*pm, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
> Windows. *A Repair Install will NOT help!
>
> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>
> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! *You may need to downloadthe
> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>
> 2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan
> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>
> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackwarehttp://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htmhttp://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
> * *http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot....moving_Malware
>
> **Seek expert assistance inhttp://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,http://forums.spybot.info/forumdispl...forum.php?f=30
> or other appropriate forums.**
>
> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
>
> =====================
> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
>
> Support for Windows Update:http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport

> subsidiary. *There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> keith wrote:
> > On Jun 9, 7:02 pm, Ǝиçεl <l...@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
> >> Hello Keith,

> >> I recommend downloading and installing
> >> MalwareBytes' Antimalware (MBAM) and
> >> SUPERAntiSpywaяe (SAS).

> >> Do a full scan with MalwaяeBytes' and
> >> SUPERAntiSpywaяe.

> >> <http://www.superantispyware.com/>

> >> Reboot
> >> -=-

> >> <http://www.malwarebytes.org/mbam.php>
> >> Reboot
> >> -=-
> >> The programs are free. (There is a paid version but
> >> you don't need to buy it to remove malware.)
> >> -=-

> >> Good luck

> >> Ǝиçεl
> >> -=-

> > Thanks. I already have both those programs. Lately my system has been
> > clean of malware.
> > Since first posting, I find I cannot run disk defragment or check disk
> > either. I've tried re-registering dll files. Some succeed, others
> > dont.
> > I've also run the system file checker. It's a mystery. Something is

Hi Robear

Thanks for the tips. The problem is that my system files have
corrupted. The drive has turned itself into a 'RAW' drive. No
administrative type functions work properly. Not Defrag, not Scan
Disk, not System Restore, nothing. I screwed around today with a
couple of software programs that are supposed to retreive data & fix
the drive but I didn't have any luck. I may not have used the software
correctly. I've backed up to DVD what I need and tomorrow I'll wipe
the C drive (I'm partitioned) and reinstall Windows. As it is now I
can't do a repair anyway. The 'RAW' format doesn't run the set-up
files (the drive is actually NTCS).
I believe the cause of this was momentary power outages. Over the past
3 days the power has gone off & on in the space of a second. I guess
it was more than my surge protector could handle. While reading up on
my dilema I found that such surges can indeed cause the problems I
have.
On the bright side; the drive needed a good cleaning out anyway.
Fortunately I have another computer to fall back on.
Thanks again,
Keith

Re: windows update & services.msc
Repost: