Update KB915597 for windows defender keeps updating in my computer

Ritabelle777

Update KB915597 for windows defender keeps updating in my computer
This update keeps updating in my computer everytime I close it. It appears in
the update history as succesfully installed but not on the installed updates
list, so I can't uninstall it. I don't even think mI need this update since I
don't even use outlook for anything. I haven't found, in the knowledge base,
solutions or troubleshooting, anything that can solve this problem. If I try
to go to Windows Update to scan my computer for additional updates, it shows
the same thing and installs again as if there aren't any other updates to
install. I was wondering if Windows Update itself isn't corrupted and thought
it would probably work if I could uninstall windows update and re install
again after restarting my computer. I don't know how will that affect the
computer and if it will erase anything, including updates already installed.
I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium IE7. Please help.
Ǝиçεl

RE: Update KB915597 for windows defender keeps updating in my computer
Consider going to the secuяity portal

<http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/>

and downloading the 32-bit definitions for Windows Defender to the desktop,
then double-click them to apply.

See if that both brings you up to date, and perhaps improves on the behavior
in future.
-=-

Also, you can try Method 1 (sfc /scannow)
Ignore the title.

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712>

Method 1: Run the System File Checker (SFC.exe) tool with the sfc /scannow
command
Although this method sounds highly technical, it is really a straightforward
process that even the less experienced user can do. System File Checker
merely makes sure that all system files are where they should be. The sfc
/scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect
versions with correct Microsoft versions.

I hope this post is helpful.

Let us know how it works ºut.

Good luck

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"Ritabelle777" wrote:

> This update keeps updating in my computer everytime I close it. It appears in
> the update history as succesfully installed but not on the installed updates
> list, so I can't uninstall it. I don't even think mI need this update since I
> don't even use outlook for anything. I haven't found, in the knowledge base,
> solutions or troubleshooting, anything that can solve this problem. If I try
> to go to Windows Update to scan my computer for additional updates, it shows
> the same thing and installs again as if there aren't any other updates to
> install. I was wondering if Windows Update itself isn't corrupted and thought
> it would probably work if I could uninstall windows update and re install
> again after restarting my computer. I don't know how will that affect the
> computer and if it will erase anything, including updates already installed.
> I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium IE7. Please help.

Ritabelle777

RE: Update KB915597 for windows defender keeps updating in my comp
Thanks but sorry to say this didn't work. I've already restored my system and
also performed a sfc /scannow which says there's a system repair that needs
pending that requires reboot to complete, which I have restarted numerous
times and it keeps saying the same which I assume goes with the continous
updating of the same thing. Can anyone tell me if there is another option?
Thanks.

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Consider going to the secuяity portal
>
> <http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/>
>
> and downloading the 32-bit definitions for Windows Defender to the desktop,
> then double-click them to apply.
>
> See if that both brings you up to date, and perhaps improves on the behavior
> in future.
> -=-
>
> Also, you can try Method 1 (sfc /scannow)
> Ignore the title.
>
> <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712>
>
> Method 1: Run the System File Checker (SFC.exe) tool with the sfc /scannow
> command
> Although this method sounds highly technical, it is really a straightforward
> process that even the less experienced user can do. System File Checker
> merely makes sure that all system files are where they should be. The sfc
> /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect
> versions with correct Microsoft versions.
>

> I hope this post is helpful.
>
> Let us know how it works ºut.
>
> Good luck
>

> Ǝиçεl
> -=-
>

> "Ritabelle777" wrote:
>
> > This update keeps updating in my computer everytime I close it. It appears in
> > the update history as succesfully installed but not on the installed updates
> > list, so I can't uninstall it. I don't even think mI need this update since I
> > don't even use outlook for anything. I haven't found, in the knowledge base,
> > solutions or troubleshooting, anything that can solve this problem. If I try
> > to go to Windows Update to scan my computer for additional updates, it shows
> > the same thing and installs again as if there aren't any other updates to
> > install. I was wondering if Windows Update itself isn't corrupted and thought
> > it would probably work if I could uninstall windows update and re install
> > again after restarting my computer. I don't know how will that affect the
> > computer and if it will erase anything, including updates already installed.
> > I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium IE7. Please help.

Ǝиçεl

RE: Update KB915597 for windows defender keeps updating in my comp
I am out of answers. Sorry I couldn't help

A repair install is the usual solution of SFC /Scannow doesn't work

Ǝиçεl
-=-

"Ritabelle777" wrote:

> Thanks but sorry to say this didn't work. I've already restored my system and
> also performed a sfc /scannow which says there's a system repair that needs
> pending that requires reboot to complete, which I have restarted numerous
> times and it keeps saying the same which I assume goes with the continous
> updating of the same thing. Can anyone tell me if there is another option?
> Thanks.
>
> "Ǝиçεl" wrote:
>
> > Consider going to the secuяity portal
> >
> > <http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/>
> >
> > and downloading the 32-bit definitions for Windows Defender to the desktop,
> > then double-click them to apply.
> >
> > See if that both brings you up to date, and perhaps improves on the behavior
> > in future.
> > -=-
> >
> > Also, you can try Method 1 (sfc /scannow)
> > Ignore the title.
> >
> > <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931712>
> >
> > Method 1: Run the System File Checker (SFC.exe) tool with the sfc /scannow
> > command
> > Although this method sounds highly technical, it is really a straightforward
> > process that even the less experienced user can do. System File Checker
> > merely makes sure that all system files are where they should be. The sfc
> > /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect
> > versions with correct Microsoft versions.
> >

> > I hope this post is helpful.
> >
> > Let us know how it works ºut.
> >
> > Good luck
> >

> > Ǝиçεl
> > -=-
> >

> > "Ritabelle777" wrote:
> >
> > > This update keeps updating in my computer everytime I close it. It appears in
> > > the update history as succesfully installed but not on the installed updates
> > > list, so I can't uninstall it. I don't even think mI need this update since I
> > > don't even use outlook for anything. I haven't found, in the knowledge base,
> > > solutions or troubleshooting, anything that can solve this problem. If I try
> > > to go to Windows Update to scan my computer for additional updates, it shows
> > > the same thing and installs again as if there aren't any other updates to
> > > install. I was wondering if Windows Update itself isn't corrupted and thought
> > > it would probably work if I could uninstall windows update and re install
> > > again after restarting my computer. I don't know how will that affect the
> > > computer and if it will erase anything, including updates already installed.
> > > I'm using Windows Vista Home Premium IE7. Please help.

MowGreen

Re: Update KB915597 for windows defender keeps updating in my comp
First off, KB915597 has *nothing* to do with Outlook, so whether you use
it or not is irrelevant.

1) Has updating Windows Defender's definitions always been problematic
or is this a new issue ?

2) Was the system able to obtain and install updates prior to this issue
occurring ?

3) *** What is the installed antivirus/security suite and does it still
have a current subscription ? ***

When you attempted to install the manually downloaded Windows Defender
definitions did you *right* click mpas-fe.exe and choose 'Run as
administrator' ? If not, please try that first.
Follow the prompts to allow it to run.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten