IE8 problem with Vista

John

IE8 problem with Vista
I have a Dell laptop which is about a year old. It came with Google
Desktop pre-installed. I allowed Windows Update to install IE8 about a
month ago, but it informed me that it was incompatible with a component
of Google desktop. I don't remember which one.

I didn't want to remove Google Desktop, and the IE8 installation was
causing serious problems. I had to use system restore to get rid of it.
Now, Windows Update is showing that IE8 was successfully installed, even
though I removed it, and Windows Update no longer is offering it. How do
I correct this? Thanks!

John
--
Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true
email address to prevent spam. Thank you.
Shenan Stanley

Re: IE8 problem with Vista
John wrote:
> I have a Dell laptop which is about a year old. It came with Google
> Desktop pre-installed. I allowed Windows Update to install IE8
> about a month ago, but it informed me that it was incompatible with
> a component of Google desktop. I don't remember which one.
>
> I didn't want to remove Google Desktop, and the IE8 installation was
> causing serious problems. I had to use system restore to get rid of
> it. Now, Windows Update is showing that IE8 was successfully
> installed, even though I removed it, and Windows Update no longer
> is offering it. How do I correct this? Thanks!

Why did you *have* to use System Restore to uninstall IE8?

How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

Also - did you look to Google for an update/solution? Perhaps your version
of Google Desktop needed to be updated?

Description of Internet Explorer Application and Web Site Compatibility
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969903

Google Desktop

When browsing using Internet Explorer 8 when you have Google Desktop
installed you may receive the error message "iexplore.exe Assert in LSP
g_socket_data.Lookup(s) ===capture\lsp\nolsp\wsp_patches.cpp:1313"

This issue has been seen if you currently have a version of Google Desktop
earlier than 4.5 ("5.0.0611.15590"). To resolve this issue install Google
Desktop version 4.5 ("5.0.0611.15590") or later.

To download the Google Desktop, visit the following website:

http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_...tm_campaign=en

Google Toolbar

Internet Explorer 8 displays a compatibility warning when certain versions
of the Google Toolbar add-on are installed. This issue occurs because
Internet Explorer 8 and specific versions of this add-on are incompatible,
and the installation is unstable. When you disable this add-on, the
functionality that this product provides is removed.

For more information and for updates, visit the following website:
http://toolbar.google.com/tbredir?r=ie8_upgrade

For more information, see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge
Base:

968136 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968136) How to fix incompatibility
problems between Internet Explorer 8 and the Google Toolbar.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Shenan Stanley

Re: IE8 problem with Vista

Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Why did you *have* to use System Restore to uninstall IE8?
>
> How do I uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>
> Also - did you look to Google for an update/solution? Perhaps your
> version of Google Desktop needed to be updated?
>
> Description of Internet Explorer Application and Web Site
> Compatibility http://support.microsoft.com/kb/969903
>
> Google Desktop
>
> When browsing using Internet Explorer 8 when you have Google Desktop
> installed you may receive the error message "iexplore.exe Assert in
> LSP g_socket_data.Lookup(s)
> ===capture\lsp\nolsp\wsp_patches.cpp:1313"
> This issue has been seen if you currently have a version of Google
> Desktop earlier than 4.5 ("5.0.0611.15590"). To resolve this issue
> install Google Desktop version 4.5 ("5.0.0611.15590") or later.
>
> To download the Google Desktop, visit the following website:
>
> http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_...tm_campaign=en
>

> Google Toolbar
>
> Internet Explorer 8 displays a compatibility warning when certain
> versions of the Google Toolbar add-on are installed. This issue
> occurs because Internet Explorer 8 and specific versions of this
> add-on are incompatible, and the installation is unstable. When you
> disable this add-on, the functionality that this product provides
> is removed.
> For more information and for updates, visit the following website:
> http://toolbar.google.com/tbredir?r=ie8_upgrade
>
> For more information, see the following article in the Microsoft
> Knowledge Base:
>
> 968136 (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968136) How to fix
> incompatibility problems between Internet Explorer 8 and the Google
> Toolbar.

If you want to download/install Internet Explorer 8 again...
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...r/default.aspx
(Download Now)

If that doesn't work - then you may have messed things up with the choice of
using "System Restore" to uninstall something like Internet Explorer.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

Re: IE8 problem with Vista
NEVER USE SYSTEM RESTORE TO UNINSTALL ANYTHING!

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

[PS: Don't be surprised if they tell you to format & reinstall Windows]

Those with IE7- and/or IE8-specific questions or comments can post to and
seek support in IE General newsgroup:

On the web:

In your newsreader:

John wrote:
> I have a Dell laptop which is about a year old. It came with Google
> Desktop pre-installed. I allowed Windows Update to install IE8 about a
> month ago, but it informed me that it was incompatible with a component
> of Google desktop. I don't remember which one.
>
> I didn't want to remove Google Desktop, and the IE8 installation was
> causing serious problems. I had to use system restore to get rid of it.
> Now, Windows Update is showing that IE8 was successfully installed, even
> though I removed it, and Windows Update no longer is offering it. How do
> I correct this? Thanks!

John

Re: IE8 problem with Vista
PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> NEVER USE SYSTEM RESTORE TO UNINSTALL ANYTHING!

Normally, I wouldn't. I don't recall the reason, but there was something
unusual. The restore worked perfectly except for the fact that WU thinks
IE8 is still installed.

BTW, I installed Vista SP2 this morning without a hitch. Much better
than SP1 which didn't like something on this Dell laptop until after
several months of additional monthly patches when it suddenly decided
for no obvious reason that it finally was ready for SP1.

John
--
Please reply in this newsgroup. I never post my true
email address to prevent spam. Thank you.

Re: IE8 problem with Vista
> The restore worked perfectly except for the fact that WU thinks
> IE8 is still installed.

Which is why I said...