windows update error code 80240016

BeckyD

windows update error code 80240016
Hi, i'm pretty new to this so not really sure which information to provide so
sorry in advance if it's not enough.
I am using Windows Vista Home Premium
version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)
Up until a few days ago windows update was working but suddenly stopped, it
just tells me that windows can't check for updates, so i try installing them
manually but get a message saying some updates were not installed, followed
by the error code 80240016, windows update is currently installing other
updates. Please try again in a few minutes. So i click the 'try again' button
but it just comes back with the same message. I'm also having problems
connecting to microsoft sites, it just redirects me, usually to google page,
and i can't install windows live messenger either, it just shows the page
'internet explorer cannot display the webpage'.
Not sure if this will be any help but it is also doing the same with windows
defender when i try checking for updates but gives a different error code
which is 0x80244019.

I have scanned my computer using Norton 360, Avast and Windows live onecare
but they are showing nothing, at the time this started happening i was using
Norton 360 as my anti virus software but now i'm currently using Windows live
onecare as i wondered if it was the Norton 360 causing the problem but seems
not. I have tried stopping and starting the windows update by typing net stop
wuauserv etc in command prompt but this isn't working either so i'm now at a
complete loss as i know little about computers. I would be very grateful for
anyone that can help! Thanks.
MowGreen

Re: windows update error code 80240016
The redirect from MS sites to google is an indication that the system is
infected, Becky. Suggest you seek assistance at a reputable anti-malware
forum or contact MS for no-charge support in getting the malware removed:

If you're in the US or Canada, contact MS at 1-866-PCSafety [1-866-727-2338]

or

http://www.atribune.org/forums/index.php?showforum=9
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup
http://www.cybertechhelp.com/forums/...splay.php?f=25
http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Malwa..._Here-f37.html
http://gladiator-antivirus.com/forum...?showforum=170
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0
http://spywarewarrior.com/viewforum.php?f=5

*Please* read the guidelines of the forum of your choice prior to posting.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

BeckyD wrote:

> Hi, i'm pretty new to this so not really sure which information to provide so
> sorry in advance if it's not enough.
> I am using Windows Vista Home Premium
> version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)
> Up until a few days ago windows update was working but suddenly stopped, it
> just tells me that windows can't check for updates, so i try installing them
> manually but get a message saying some updates were not installed, followed
> by the error code 80240016, windows update is currently installing other
> updates. Please try again in a few minutes. So i click the 'try again' button
> but it just comes back with the same message. I'm also having problems
> connecting to microsoft sites, it just redirects me, usually to google page,
> and i can't install windows live messenger either, it just shows the page
> 'internet explorer cannot display the webpage'.
> Not sure if this will be any help but it is also doing the same with windows
> defender when i try checking for updates but gives a different error code
> which is 0x80244019.
>
> I have scanned my computer using Norton 360, Avast and Windows live onecare
> but they are showing nothing, at the time this started happening i was using
> Norton 360 as my anti virus software but now i'm currently using Windows live
> onecare as i wondered if it was the Norton 360 causing the problem but seems
> not. I have tried stopping and starting the windows update by typing net stop
> wuauserv etc in command prompt but this isn't working either so i'm now at a
> complete loss as i know little about computers. I would be very grateful for
> anyone that can help! Thanks.

Tae Song

"BeckyD" <BeckyD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Hi, i'm pretty new to this so not really sure which information to provide
> so
> sorry in advance if it's not enough.
> I am using Windows Vista Home Premium
> version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)
> Up until a few days ago windows update was working but suddenly stopped,
> it
> just tells me that windows can't check for updates, so i try installing
> them
> manually but get a message saying some updates were not installed,
> followed
> by the error code 80240016, windows update is currently installing other
> updates. Please try again in a few minutes. So i click the 'try again'
> button
> but it just comes back with the same message. I'm also having problems
> connecting to microsoft sites, it just redirects me, usually to google
> page,
> and i can't install windows live messenger either, it just shows the page
> 'internet explorer cannot display the webpage'.
> Not sure if this will be any help but it is also doing the same with
> windows
> defender when i try checking for updates but gives a different error code
> which is 0x80244019.
>
> I have scanned my computer using Norton 360, Avast and Windows live
> onecare
> but they are showing nothing, at the time this started happening i was
> using
> Norton 360 as my anti virus software but now i'm currently using Windows
> live
> onecare as i wondered if it was the Norton 360 causing the problem but
> seems
> not. I have tried stopping and starting the windows update by typing net
> stop
> wuauserv etc in command prompt but this isn't working either so i'm now at
> complete loss as i know little about computers. I would be very grateful
> for
> anyone that can help! Thanks.

Hi Becky,

Try running SFC /SCANNOW ,

Tell me if SFC runs into problems it can't fix.

BeckyD

Re: windows update error code 80240016
Hiya, thanks both of u for replying.
I run the sfc /scannow, can't really say if it ran into any problems though
as the window doesn't stay up long enough to check, not sure if that's
normal?? I didn't do anything wrong though and tried it a few times but still
the same...??
I got told that if i completely wipe my computer and install windows vista
again this will wipe the virus or whatever it is, not sure whether to try it
though as i said, i know little about computers and don't want to make it any
worse!
"Tae Song" wrote:

> "BeckyD" <BeckyD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, i'm pretty new to this so not really sure which information to provide
> > so
> > sorry in advance if it's not enough.
> > I am using Windows Vista Home Premium
> > version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)
> > Up until a few days ago windows update was working but suddenly stopped,
> > it
> > just tells me that windows can't check for updates, so i try installing
> > them
> > manually but get a message saying some updates were not installed,
> > followed
> > by the error code 80240016, windows update is currently installing other
> > updates. Please try again in a few minutes. So i click the 'try again'
> > button
> > but it just comes back with the same message. I'm also having problems
> > connecting to microsoft sites, it just redirects me, usually to google
> > page,
> > and i can't install windows live messenger either, it just shows the page
> > 'internet explorer cannot display the webpage'.
> > Not sure if this will be any help but it is also doing the same with
> > windows
> > defender when i try checking for updates but gives a different error code
> > which is 0x80244019.
> >
> > I have scanned my computer using Norton 360, Avast and Windows live
> > onecare
> > but they are showing nothing, at the time this started happening i was
> > using
> > Norton 360 as my anti virus software but now i'm currently using Windows
> > live
> > onecare as i wondered if it was the Norton 360 causing the problem but
> > seems
> > not. I have tried stopping and starting the windows update by typing net
> > stop
> > wuauserv etc in command prompt but this isn't working either so i'm now at
> > complete loss as i know little about computers. I would be very grateful
> > for
> > anyone that can help! Thanks.

> Hi Becky,
>
> Try running SFC /SCANNOW ,
>
> Tell me if SFC runs into problems it can't fix.

Peter Foldes

Re: windows update error code 80240016
error code 80240016

0x80240016 WU_E_INSTALL_NOT_ALLOWED
Operation tried to install while another installation was in progress or the system
was
pending a mandatory restart.

Above is Self explinatory

Also

What update are you trying to install and what update did you previously
install?

Error Code 0x80244019

80244019 is an "HTTP 404 - FILE NOT FOUND" error. Does the log tell you what
file/URL hit this error? Is this during server synchronization or client download?
If it's server synchronization, check proxy settings first. If it's the client, make
sure that access isn't restricted on the server or that URLScan isn't blocking
exe/cab files.

--
Peter

BeckyD wrote:

> Hiya, thanks both of u for replying.
> I run the sfc /scannow, can't really say if it ran into any problems though
> as the window doesn't stay up long enough to check, not sure if that's
> normal?? I didn't do anything wrong though and tried it a few times but still
> the same...??
> I got told that if i completely wipe my computer and install windows vista
> again this will wipe the virus or whatever it is, not sure whether to try it
> though as i said, i know little about computers and don't want to make it any
> worse!

Becky ... if you are in the US or Canada then contact Microsoft. They
will diagnose what the issue is for *free* since your system appears to
be infected.

Contact MS at 1-866-PCSafety [1-866-727-2338]

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
BeckyD

Re: windows update error code 80240016
Hi again.
Just letting you know that i have finally resolved this issue after reading
a post on here, i did the malwarebytes anti-malware scan which detected 2
trojans, after removing these i restarted my computer and everything was back
in working order!
Hope it helps for others with the same problems! ... Here is the post i
read..

Hey, sound like you have the same problem I just had.
Try getting Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and/or SUPERAntiSpyware Professional.
(I used both.) Run a FULL scan, ect...
Retstart ur comp. and try updating again, although mine started automaticly.
This worked for me, and hopefully i'll work for you to. (Y)
Good Luck

yagsy

Hope it works!

"Peter Foldes" wrote:

> error code 80240016
>
> 0x80240016 WU_E_INSTALL_NOT_ALLOWED
> Operation tried to install while another installation was in progress or the system
> was
> pending a mandatory restart.
>
> Above is Self explinatory
>
> Also
>
> What update are you trying to install and what update did you previously
> install?
>

> Error Code 0x80244019
>
> 80244019 is an "HTTP 404 - FILE NOT FOUND" error. Does the log tell you what
> file/URL hit this error? Is this during server synchronization or client download?
> If it's server synchronization, check proxy settings first. If it's the client, make
> sure that access isn't restricted on the server or that URLScan isn't blocking
> exe/cab files.
>
> --
> Peter

> "BeckyD" <BeckyD@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> > Hi, i'm pretty new to this so not really sure which information to provide so
> > sorry in advance if it's not enough.
> > I am using Windows Vista Home Premium
> > version 6.0 (Build 6001: Service Pack 1)
> > Up until a few days ago windows update was working but suddenly stopped, it
> > just tells me that windows can't check for updates, so i try installing them
> > manually but get a message saying some updates were not installed, followed
> > by the error code 80240016, windows update is currently installing other
> > updates. Please try again in a few minutes. So i click the 'try again' button
> > but it just comes back with the same message. I'm also having problems
> > connecting to microsoft sites, it just redirects me, usually to google page,
> > and i can't install windows live messenger either, it just shows the page
> > 'internet explorer cannot display the webpage'.
> > Not sure if this will be any help but it is also doing the same with windows
> > defender when i try checking for updates but gives a different error code
> > which is 0x80244019.
> >
> > I have scanned my computer using Norton 360, Avast and Windows live onecare
> > but they are showing nothing, at the time this started happening i was using
> > Norton 360 as my anti virus software but now i'm currently using Windows live
> > onecare as i wondered if it was the Norton 360 causing the problem but seems
> > not. I have tried stopping and starting the windows update by typing net stop
> > wuauserv etc in command prompt but this isn't working either so i'm now at a
> > complete loss as i know little about computers. I would be very grateful for
> > anyone that can help! Thanks.

MowGreen

Re: windows update error code 80240016
Nice work, BeckyD. As I suggested previously, the system is/was
infected. It would behoove you to scan the system with the installed
antivirus program and then do an online scan, too.
These 'things' you are dealing with can sometimes hide themselves very
well.

If Sun's Java runtime is installed, go here:
http://usa.kaspersky.com/products_se...s-scanner.php/

The Kaspersky scanner can detect any malware present but will *not*
remove it. However, the scanner is *very* good at detection.

If it's not, use Internet Explorer and go here:
http://www.eset.com/onlinescan/

The ESET online scanner can detect *and* remove what it detects.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

BeckyD wrote:

> [...]
>>>and i can't install windows live messenger either, it just shows the page
>>>'internet explorer cannot display the webpage'.
>>>Not sure if this will be any help but it is also doing the same with windows
>>>defender when i try checking for updates but gives a different error code
>>>which is 0x80244019.
>>>
>>>I have scanned my computer using Norton 360, Avast and Windows live onecare
>>>but they are showing nothing, at the time this started happening i was using
>>>Norton 360 as my anti virus software but now i'm currently using Windows live
>>>onecare as i wondered if it was the Norton 360 causing the problem but seems
>>>not. I have tried stopping and starting the windows update by typing net stop
>>>wuauserv etc in command prompt but this isn't working either so i'm now at a
>>>complete loss as i know little about computers. I would be very grateful for

dttmnguyen

Re: windows update error code 80240016

thanks, it worked for mine! i installed the latest version of
malwarebytes; then, ran a full scan, where it detected and removed
numerous virus / spyware. also, i did "sfc /scannow" in dos prompt,
where windows states that some files were corrupted and got fixed.
restart then redid windows updates and all got updated correctly. i'm
happy!

dttmnguyen's Profile: http://forums.techarena.in/members/110335.htm
View this thread: http://forums.techarena.in/windows-update/1193921.htm

http://forums.techarena.in