Re: Windows Update Installation Hang

Gerry

Re: Windows Update Installation Hang
HMT

Select Start, Help and Support, Keep your Windows up- to-date with
Windows Update, Review your Update History you can see the update. What
is the Failure code. Double click the small red icon in the Status
column for the failed update.

Cross posting to Windows Update newsgroup.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

HMT wrote:
> I just ran Windows Update on a friends PC (Has XP SP2 installed) and
> it hangs on shutdown trying to install the update. The message "do
> not turn off or unplug your computer" goes on for over an hour, so we
> have to power off manually. I ran System Restore to back before the
> update, but still have a message on shutdown to click to install the
> update on shutdown, but it won't shut down.

HMT

Re: Windows Update Installation Hang
Problem solved. I ran Windows Update again with the Custom option and the
update installed properly. Everything is back to normal.

HMT

"Gerry" wrote:

> HMT
>
> Select Start, Help and Support, Keep your Windows up- to-date with
> Windows Update, Review your Update History you can see the update. What
> is the Failure code. Double click the small red icon in the Status
> column for the failed update.
>
> Cross posting to Windows Update newsgroup.
>
> --
>

> Hope this helps.
>
> Gerry
> ~~~~
> FCA
> Stourport, England
> Enquire, plan and execute
> ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
>

> HMT wrote:
> > I just ran Windows Update on a friends PC (Has XP SP2 installed) and
> > it hangs on shutdown trying to install the update. The message "do
> > not turn off or unplug your computer" goes on for over an hour, so we
> > have to power off manually. I ran System Restore to back before the
> > update, but still have a message on shutdown to click to install the
> > update on shutdown, but it won't shut down.

Gerry

Re: Windows Update Installation Hang
HMT

Good result. Thanks for reporting the outcome.

--

Gerry
~~~~