KB951847 on 64 Bit Vista

igroveman

KB951847 on 64 Bit Vista
Hello,

My desktop did a Windows Update on June 5th, 2009. It downloaded KB951847
and a few other things. All updates are listed as completed. Every time my
computer is restarted or rebooted, it says it is walking through stage "3 of
3" of some uknown update, and it goes to 72% very quickly. It stays at 72%
for almost 3-4 hours every time. Please help!

Re: KB951847 on 64 Bit Vista
Is Vista SP1 or SP2 installed?

System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) [April 2009]
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-b2903257f1fd

System Update Readiness Tool for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [April 2009]
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-1fe9a4bfa44d

igroveman wrote:
> My desktop did a Windows Update on June 5th, 2009. It downloaded KB951847
> and a few other things. All updates are listed as completed. Every time
> my
> computer is restarted or rebooted, it says it is walking through stage "3
> of
> 3" of some uknown update, and it goes to 72% very quickly. It stays at
> 72%
> for almost 3-4 hours every time. Please help!

igroveman

Re: KB951847 on 64 Bit Vista

I am using Windows Vista 64-Bit Service Pack 1.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is Vista SP1 or SP2 installed?
>
> System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) [April 2009]
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-b2903257f1fd
>
> System Update Readiness Tool for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [April 2009]
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-1fe9a4bfa44d
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> igroveman wrote:
> > My desktop did a Windows Update on June 5th, 2009. It downloaded KB951847
> > and a few other things. All updates are listed as completed. Every time
> > my
> > computer is restarted or rebooted, it says it is walking through stage "3
> > of
> > 3" of some uknown update, and it goes to 72% very quickly. It stays at
> > 72%
> > for almost 3-4 hours every time. Please help!

igroveman

Re: KB951847 on 64 Bit Vista

I downloaded and ran the x64 version of this update you posted twice - it
shows a progress bar but has been sitting still for almost an hour.

-Israel

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Is Vista SP1 or SP2 installed?
>
> System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) [April 2009]
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-b2903257f1fd
>
> System Update Readiness Tool for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [April 2009]
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-1fe9a4bfa44d
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> igroveman wrote:
> > My desktop did a Windows Update on June 5th, 2009. It downloaded KB951847
> > and a few other things. All updates are listed as completed. Every time
> > my
> > computer is restarted or rebooted, it says it is walking through stage "3
> > of
> > 3" of some uknown update, and it goes to 72% very quickly. It stays at
> > 72%
> > for almost 3-4 hours every time. Please help!

Re: KB951847 on 64 Bit Vista
Assuming Vista SP1 came preinstalled on the computer, is it still under
Warranty or Service Contract?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

igroveman wrote:
> I downloaded and ran the x64 version of this update you posted twice - it
> shows a progress bar but has been sitting still for almost an hour.
>
> I am using Windows Vista 64-Bit Service Pack 1.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Is Vista SP1 or SP2 installed?
>>
>> System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) [April 2009]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-b2903257f1fd
>>
>> System Update Readiness Tool for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [April
>> 2009]
>> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-1fe9a4bfa44d
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> igroveman wrote:
>>> My desktop did a Windows Update on June 5th, 2009. It downloaded
>>> KB951847
>>> and a few other things. All updates are listed as completed. Every
>>> time
>>> my
>>> computer is restarted or rebooted, it says it is walking through stage
>>> "3
>>> of
>>> 3" of some uknown update, and it goes to 72% very quickly. It stays at
>>> 72%
>>> for almost 3-4 hours every time. Please help!

igroveman

Re: KB951847 on 64 Bit Vista

This is a new Dell system so it should be under warranty and service contract.

I have AVG Antivirus Free installed. I have PCTools Spyware Doctor for anti
spyware... no third party firewall?

I believe McAfee was installed earlier, but I think I removed it. I can't
recally clearly.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Assuming Vista SP1 came preinstalled on the computer, is it still under
> Warranty or Service Contract?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> igroveman wrote:
> > I downloaded and ran the x64 version of this update you posted twice - it
> > shows a progress bar but has been sitting still for almost an hour.
> >
> > I am using Windows Vista 64-Bit Service Pack 1.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Is Vista SP1 or SP2 installed?
> >>
> >> System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) [April 2009]
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-b2903257f1fd
> >>
> >> System Update Readiness Tool for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [April
> >> 2009]
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-1fe9a4bfa44d
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

igroveman

Re: KB951847 on 64 Bit Vista
The update you posted has been hanging on my system for 5 hours.

At this point I am not sure what to do. Refresh my OS files?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Assuming Vista SP1 came preinstalled on the computer, is it still under
> Warranty or Service Contract?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> igroveman wrote:
> > I downloaded and ran the x64 version of this update you posted twice - it
> > shows a progress bar but has been sitting still for almost an hour.
> >
> > I am using Windows Vista 64-Bit Service Pack 1.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >> Is Vista SP1 or SP2 installed?
> >>
> >> System Update Readiness Tool (KB947821) [April 2009]
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-b2903257f1fd
> >>
> >> System Update Readiness Tool for x64-based Systems (KB947821) [April
> >> 2009]
> >> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...0-1fe9a4bfa44d
> >> --
> >> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: KB951847 on 64 Bit Vista
Do Steps #1 and #2 of this three-step fix then reboot:
http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

igroveman wrote:
> This is a new Dell system so it should be under warranty and service
> contract.
>
> I have AVG Antivirus Free installed. I have PCTools Spyware Doctor for
> anti
> spyware... no third party firewall?
>
> I believe McAfee was installed earlier, but I think I removed it. I can't
> recally clearly.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Assuming Vista SP1 came preinstalled on the computer, is it still under
>> Warranty or Service Contract?

>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>>
>> igroveman wrote:
>>> I downloaded and ran the x64 version of this update you posted twice -
>>> it
>>> shows a progress bar but has been sitting still for almost an hour.
>>>
>>> I am using Windows Vista 64-Bit Service Pack 1.

Tae Song

Re: KB951847 on 64 Bit Vista

"igroveman" <igroveman@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message

> I downloaded and ran the x64 version of this update you posted twice - it
> shows a progress bar but has been sitting still for almost an hour.
>

> -Israel

I've tried the SUR tool, when I had problems installing SP2 and it doesn't
really work all that well.

Try starting Command Prompt as Administrator and run the System File Checker

Delete C:\Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log (don't worry a persistant copy is stored
in CBS.persist.log)

run SFC /SCANNOW

If SFC returns with a message it could not repair some components, then try
running...

findstr /c:"verify" "%windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log"

If you get some text, then capture it using...

findstr /c:"verify" "%windir%\logs\cbs\cbs.log" > textfile.txt

and post it here or somewhere I can see it.

Note: text "verify" is case sensitive following /c:

Thanks to Darrell Gorter[MSFT] for findstr.