Re: Can not open attachments in Windows Mail

Re: Can not open attachments in Windows Mail
[crosspost to IE General & Windows Update newsgroups]

I'd have to question the veracity of such claims myself; e.g., Did they do a
clean install or a Repair Install? Did they install SP1 or SP2 *and* IE8
during the same session? Did they use the OEM CDs that came with their
computer or the hidden Recovery partition to reinstall Vista, both of which
would have reinstalled the free-trial AV app or security suite that came
preinstalled when they bought it?

We learned this the hard way back when IE6 SP1 was "pushed" to Win9.x
machines via Windows Update. Thousands of users ended up with a horked
install because they'd failed to disable their anti-virus application.
(There weren't any anti-spyware apps back then! <wink>) cf.
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...dd6a73c471dd7f
&ff

We re-learned this the hard way when IE7 was released to WinXP in Oct-06.
See Sandi's IE7 Installation Tips page:
http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install (ignore any references
to Vista).

There's not a doubt in my mind that we'll have to re-learn this again when
IE9 is released.

Now, I'm NOT saying that all anti-virus and/or anti-spyware applications
and/or third-party firewalls cause such troubles when installing an IE
upgrade but IMHO you're better off being overly-cautious than not cautious
enough when it comes to installing an IE upgrade *and* a Windows Service
Pack.

NB: As I've frequently posted in these newsgroups, Windows Defender is the
one anti-spyware application you do not need to disable prior to installing
or uninstalling IE8 (and IE9, when it's released).

IMHO you're doing your OPs a disservice by placing the blame solely on IE8.
The vast majority of Windows users who had disabled these real-time
protections before installing IE8 have not encountered any issues with
opening attachments in any Mail Client (i.e., Windows Mail; Windows Live
Mail; Outlook Express; Thunderbird; and MSN Mail).
--
~Robear

Gary VanderMolen wrote:
> I disagree. I've had several people tell me that they did fresh
> Vista installs, and with *no* third party security software installed,
> yet as soon as they installed IE8 the problem with attachments began.
>
>> Gary, with all due respect, IE8 is NOT the culprit here. Installing IE8
>> without having first disabled all real-time "system protections" (e.g.,
>> anti-virus; anti-spware; third-party firewall) is.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Gary VanderMolen wrote:
>>> Thanks for that confirmation regarding IE8 being the culprit.
>>>

>>> "z1Barry" <barry.culp@verizon.net> wrote in message

>>> I can confirm for the second time that the occurrence of this bug on
>>> my systems is not connected to security software. When I first
>>> installed IE8 on my old Vista x64 system, I deactivated my antivirus
>>> software first (Avast) as I normally do with any significant software
>>> installation. As many others have reported, I also had the on again
>>> off again intermittent Vista email problem when opening JPG
>>> attachments.
>>>
>>> Recently, I finished doing a clean install of Vista x64 SP1 on a new
>>> system. I then applied all the outstanding Vista updates via windows
>>> update (except SP2). At this point I was still using IE7 and had no
>>> Vista email attachment problems. Yesterday I upgraded to IE8 and bingo
>>> the problem has returned. Please note that I have NOT installed any
>>> security software yet. Windows Defender is the only thing running on
>>> my system at this time.

JS

Re: Can not open attachments in Windows Mail
"Windows Defender is the one anti-spyware
application you do not need to disable prior to installing
or uninstalling IE8 (and IE9, when it's released)."

That's because Microsoft does not have a vigorous
"Integration Testing" plan!

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

> [crosspost to IE General & Windows Update newsgroups]
>
> I'd have to question the veracity of such claims myself; e.g., Did they do
> a clean install or a Repair Install? Did they install SP1 or SP2 *and*
> IE8 during the same session? Did they use the OEM CDs that came with
> their computer or the hidden Recovery partition to reinstall Vista, both
> of which would have reinstalled the free-trial AV app or security suite
> that came preinstalled when they bought it?
>
> We learned this the hard way back when IE6 SP1 was "pushed" to Win9.x
> machines via Windows Update. Thousands of users ended up with a horked
> install because they'd failed to disable their anti-virus application.
> (There weren't any anti-spyware apps back then! <wink>) cf.
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...dd6a73c471dd7f
> &ff
>
> We re-learned this the hard way when IE7 was released to WinXP in Oct-06.
> See Sandi's IE7 Installation Tips page:
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install (ignore any
> references to Vista).
>
> There's not a doubt in my mind that we'll have to re-learn this again when
> IE9 is released.
>
> Now, I'm NOT saying that all anti-virus and/or anti-spyware applications
> and/or third-party firewalls cause such troubles when installing an IE
> upgrade but IMHO you're better off being overly-cautious than not cautious
> enough when it comes to installing an IE upgrade *and* a Windows Service
> Pack.
>
> NB: As I've frequently posted in these newsgroups, Windows Defender is the
> one anti-spyware application you do not need to disable prior to
> installing or uninstalling IE8 (and IE9, when it's released).
>
> IMHO you're doing your OPs a disservice by placing the blame solely on
> IE8. The vast majority of Windows users who had disabled these real-time
> protections before installing IE8 have not encountered any issues with
> opening attachments in any Mail Client (i.e., Windows Mail; Windows Live
> Mail; Outlook Express; Thunderbird; and MSN Mail).
> --
> ~Robear
>

> Gary VanderMolen wrote:
>> I disagree. I've had several people tell me that they did fresh
>> Vista installs, and with *no* third party security software installed,
>> yet as soon as they installed IE8 the problem with attachments began.
>>
>>> Gary, with all due respect, IE8 is NOT the culprit here. Installing IE8
>>> without having first disabled all real-time "system protections" (e.g.,
>>> anti-virus; anti-spware; third-party firewall) is.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Can not open attachments in Windows Mail
Wrong.

JS wrote:
> "Windows Defender is the one anti-spyware
> application you do not need to disable prior to installing
> or uninstalling IE8 (and IE9, when it's released)."
>
> That's because Microsoft does not have a vigorous
> "Integration Testing" plan!

>> [crosspost to IE General & Windows Update newsgroups]
>>
>> I'd have to question the veracity of such claims myself; e.g., Did they
>> do
>> a clean install or a Repair Install? Did they install SP1 or SP2 *and*
>> IE8 during the same session? Did they use the OEM CDs that came with
>> their computer or the hidden Recovery partition to reinstall Vista, both
>> of which would have reinstalled the free-trial AV app or security suite
>> that came preinstalled when they bought it?
>>
>> We learned this the hard way back when IE6 SP1 was "pushed" to Win9.x
>> machines via Windows Update. Thousands of users ended up with a horked
>> install because they'd failed to disable their anti-virus application.
>> (There weren't any anti-spyware apps back then! <wink>) cf.
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...dd6a73c471dd7f
>> &ff
>>
>> We re-learned this the hard way when IE7 was released to WinXP in Oct-06.
>> See Sandi's IE7 Installation Tips page:
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install (ignore any
>> references to Vista).
>>
>> There's not a doubt in my mind that we'll have to re-learn this again
>> when
>> IE9 is released.
>>
>> Now, I'm NOT saying that all anti-virus and/or anti-spyware applications
>> and/or third-party firewalls cause such troubles when installing an IE
>> upgrade but IMHO you're better off being overly-cautious than not
>> cautious
>> enough when it comes to installing an IE upgrade *and* a Windows Service
>> Pack.
>>
>> NB: As I've frequently posted in these newsgroups, Windows Defender is
>> the
>> one anti-spyware application you do not need to disable prior to
>> installing or uninstalling IE8 (and IE9, when it's released).
>>
>> IMHO you're doing your OPs a disservice by placing the blame solely on
>> IE8. The vast majority of Windows users who had disabled these real-time
>> protections before installing IE8 have not encountered any issues with
>> opening attachments in any Mail Client (i.e., Windows Mail; Windows Live
>> Mail; Outlook Express; Thunderbird; and MSN Mail).
>> --
>> ~Robear
>>

>> Gary VanderMolen wrote:
>>> I disagree. I've had several people tell me that they did fresh
>>> Vista installs, and with *no* third party security software installed,
>>> yet as soon as they installed IE8 the problem with attachments began.

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Can not open attachments in Windows Mail
Why is it a disservice to suggest that the OP should uninstall IE8?
Even if your theory is correct, it would require uninstalling the
corrupted IE8 installation.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail)

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23novg%23w5JHA.1372@TK2MSFTNGP05.phx.gbl...
> [crosspost to IE General & Windows Update newsgroups]
>
> I'd have to question the veracity of such claims myself; e.g., Did they do a
> clean install or a Repair Install? Did they install SP1 or SP2 *and* IE8
> during the same session? Did they use the OEM CDs that came with their
> computer or the hidden Recovery partition to reinstall Vista, both of which
> would have reinstalled the free-trial AV app or security suite that came
> preinstalled when they bought it?
>
> We learned this the hard way back when IE6 SP1 was "pushed" to Win9.x
> machines via Windows Update. Thousands of users ended up with a horked
> install because they'd failed to disable their anti-virus application.
> (There weren't any anti-spyware apps back then! <wink>) cf.
> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...dd6a73c471dd7f
> &ff
>
> We re-learned this the hard way when IE7 was released to WinXP in Oct-06.
> See Sandi's IE7 Installation Tips page:
> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install (ignore any references
> to Vista).
>
> There's not a doubt in my mind that we'll have to re-learn this again when
> IE9 is released.
>
> Now, I'm NOT saying that all anti-virus and/or anti-spyware applications
> and/or third-party firewalls cause such troubles when installing an IE
> upgrade but IMHO you're better off being overly-cautious than not cautious
> enough when it comes to installing an IE upgrade *and* a Windows Service
> Pack.
>
> NB: As I've frequently posted in these newsgroups, Windows Defender is the
> one anti-spyware application you do not need to disable prior to installing
> or uninstalling IE8 (and IE9, when it's released).
>
> IMHO you're doing your OPs a disservice by placing the blame solely on IE8.
> The vast majority of Windows users who had disabled these real-time
> protections before installing IE8 have not encountered any issues with
> opening attachments in any Mail Client (i.e., Windows Mail; Windows Live
> Mail; Outlook Express; Thunderbird; and MSN Mail).
> --
> ~Robear
>

> Gary VanderMolen wrote:
>> I disagree. I've had several people tell me that they did fresh
>> Vista installs, and with *no* third party security software installed,
>> yet as soon as they installed IE8 the problem with attachments began.
>>
>>> Gary, with all due respect, IE8 is NOT the culprit here. Installing IE8
>>> without having first disabled all real-time "system protections" (e.g.,
>>> anti-virus; anti-spware; third-party firewall) is.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Can not open attachments in Windows Mail
I just wish Microsoft would get interested enough in this problem
to do some vigorous and definitive testing, followed by a
suitable Knowledge Base article describing the appropriate fix.

--

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote in message news:%23BL82Gx5JHA.4936@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Wrong.
>
> JS wrote:
>> "Windows Defender is the one anti-spyware
>> application you do not need to disable prior to installing
>> or uninstalling IE8 (and IE9, when it's released)."
>>
>> That's because Microsoft does not have a vigorous
>> "Integration Testing" plan!

>>> [crosspost to IE General & Windows Update newsgroups]
>>>
>>> I'd have to question the veracity of such claims myself; e.g., Did they
>>> do
>>> a clean install or a Repair Install? Did they install SP1 or SP2 *and*
>>> IE8 during the same session? Did they use the OEM CDs that came with
>>> their computer or the hidden Recovery partition to reinstall Vista, both
>>> of which would have reinstalled the free-trial AV app or security suite
>>> that came preinstalled when they bought it?
>>>
>>> We learned this the hard way back when IE6 SP1 was "pushed" to Win9.x
>>> machines via Windows Update. Thousands of users ended up with a horked
>>> install because they'd failed to disable their anti-virus application.
>>> (There weren't any anti-spyware apps back then! <wink>) cf.
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...dd6a73c471dd7f
>>> &ff
>>>
>>> We re-learned this the hard way when IE7 was released to WinXP in Oct-06.
>>> See Sandi's IE7 Installation Tips page:
>>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install (ignore any
>>> references to Vista).
>>>
>>> There's not a doubt in my mind that we'll have to re-learn this again
>>> when
>>> IE9 is released.
>>>
>>> Now, I'm NOT saying that all anti-virus and/or anti-spyware applications
>>> and/or third-party firewalls cause such troubles when installing an IE
>>> upgrade but IMHO you're better off being overly-cautious than not
>>> cautious
>>> enough when it comes to installing an IE upgrade *and* a Windows Service
>>> Pack.
>>>
>>> NB: As I've frequently posted in these newsgroups, Windows Defender is
>>> the
>>> one anti-spyware application you do not need to disable prior to
>>> installing or uninstalling IE8 (and IE9, when it's released).
>>>
>>> IMHO you're doing your OPs a disservice by placing the blame solely on
>>> IE8. The vast majority of Windows users who had disabled these real-time
>>> protections before installing IE8 have not encountered any issues with
>>> opening attachments in any Mail Client (i.e., Windows Mail; Windows Live
>>> Mail; Outlook Express; Thunderbird; and MSN Mail).
>>> --
>>> ~Robear

JS

Re: Can not open attachments in Windows Mail
Then tell me why it's OK to leave Defender on
and risky to not turn other AV software off.

I'm not bashing Microsoft but they full well know who
the major players are in the AV world and need to
take this into consideration instead of just using Defender
as a baseline to perform a suite of tests prior to Patch Tuesday
or other updates.

--
JS
http://www.pagestart.com

> Wrong.
>
> JS wrote:
>> "Windows Defender is the one anti-spyware
>> application you do not need to disable prior to installing
>> or uninstalling IE8 (and IE9, when it's released)."
>>
>> That's because Microsoft does not have a vigorous
>> "Integration Testing" plan!

>>> [crosspost to IE General & Windows Update newsgroups]
>>>
>>> I'd have to question the veracity of such claims myself; e.g., Did they
>>> do
>>> a clean install or a Repair Install? Did they install SP1 or SP2 *and*
>>> IE8 during the same session? Did they use the OEM CDs that came with
>>> their computer or the hidden Recovery partition to reinstall Vista, both
>>> of which would have reinstalled the free-trial AV app or security suite
>>> that came preinstalled when they bought it?
>>>
>>> We learned this the hard way back when IE6 SP1 was "pushed" to Win9.x
>>> machines via Windows Update. Thousands of users ended up with a horked
>>> install because they'd failed to disable their anti-virus application.
>>> (There weren't any anti-spyware apps back then! <wink>) cf.
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...dd6a73c471dd7f
>>> &ff
>>>
>>> We re-learned this the hard way when IE7 was released to WinXP in
>>> Oct-06.
>>> See Sandi's IE7 Installation Tips page:
>>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install (ignore any
>>> references to Vista).
>>>
>>> There's not a doubt in my mind that we'll have to re-learn this again
>>> when
>>> IE9 is released.
>>>
>>> Now, I'm NOT saying that all anti-virus and/or anti-spyware applications
>>> and/or third-party firewalls cause such troubles when installing an IE
>>> upgrade but IMHO you're better off being overly-cautious than not
>>> cautious
>>> enough when it comes to installing an IE upgrade *and* a Windows Service
>>> Pack.
>>>
>>> NB: As I've frequently posted in these newsgroups, Windows Defender is
>>> the
>>> one anti-spyware application you do not need to disable prior to
>>> installing or uninstalling IE8 (and IE9, when it's released).
>>>
>>> IMHO you're doing your OPs a disservice by placing the blame solely on
>>> IE8. The vast majority of Windows users who had disabled these real-time
>>> protections before installing IE8 have not encountered any issues with
>>> opening attachments in any Mail Client (i.e., Windows Mail; Windows Live
>>> Mail; Outlook Express; Thunderbird; and MSN Mail).
>>> --
>>> ~Robear

Re: Can not open attachments in Windows Mail
<kindly> I posited that it would be a disservice to say that IE8 itself was
the cause of the behavior, Gary:

>> IMHO you're doing your OPs a disservice by placing the blame solely on
>> IE8.

In many instances, uninstalling IE8 has not corrected the problem...most
likely due to the fact that the same real-time protections that had not been
enabled prior to installing IE8 also were not disabled prior to uninstalling
it. (Even worse is when users don't uninstall IE8 but use System Restore in
its stead.)

Gary VanderMolen wrote:
> Why is it a disservice to suggest that the OP should uninstall IE8?
> Even if your theory is correct, it would require uninstalling the
> corrupted IE8 installation.

>> [crosspost to IE General & Windows Update newsgroups]
>>
>> I'd have to question the veracity of such claims myself; e.g., Did they
>> do
>> a clean install or a Repair Install? Did they install SP1 or SP2 *and*
>> IE8
>> during the same session? Did they use the OEM CDs that came with their
>> computer or the hidden Recovery partition to reinstall Vista, both of
>> which
>> would have reinstalled the free-trial AV app or security suite that came
>> preinstalled when they bought it?
>>
>> We learned this the hard way back when IE6 SP1 was "pushed" to Win9.x
>> machines via Windows Update. Thousands of users ended up with a horked
>> install because they'd failed to disable their anti-virus application.
>> (There weren't any anti-spyware apps back then! <wink>) cf.
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...dd6a73c471dd7f
>> &ff
>>
>> We re-learned this the hard way when IE7 was released to WinXP in Oct-06.
>> See Sandi's IE7 Installation Tips page:
>> http://www.ie-vista.com/known_issues.html#pre-install (ignore any
>> references to Vista).
>>
>> There's not a doubt in my mind that we'll have to re-learn this again
>> when
>> IE9 is released.
>>
>> Now, I'm NOT saying that all anti-virus and/or anti-spyware applications
>> and/or third-party firewalls cause such troubles when installing an IE
>> upgrade but IMHO you're better off being overly-cautious than not
>> cautious
>> enough when it comes to installing an IE upgrade *and* a Windows Service
>> Pack.
>>
>> NB: As I've frequently posted in these newsgroups, Windows Defender is
>> the
>> one anti-spyware application you do not need to disable prior to
>> installing
>> or uninstalling IE8 (and IE9, when it's released).
>>
>> IMHO you're doing your OPs a disservice by placing the blame solely on
>> IE8.
>> The vast majority of Windows users who had disabled these real-time
>> protections before installing IE8 have not encountered any issues with
>> opening attachments in any Mail Client (i.e., Windows Mail; Windows Live
>> Mail; Outlook Express; Thunderbird; and MSN Mail).
>> --
>> ~Robear
>>

>> Gary VanderMolen wrote:
>>> I disagree. I've had several people tell me that they did fresh
>>> Vista installs, and with *no* third party security software installed,
>>> yet as soon as they installed IE8 the problem with attachments began.

Re: Can not open attachments in Windows Mail
MS isn't about to point the fickle finger at longtime "security partners,"
Gary. That's our job! <wink>

[Somewhere in my unwieldy, 8+ year old Favorites is a link to a KB article
that finally fingered email scanning as a troublemaker in MS Mail Clients.
I was struck dumb when I first saw it. Methinks it may have been pulled,
most likely for "political" reasons. I'm pretty sure it was issued shortly
after Vista went RTM but I'll be d****ed if I can find it now.]

Gary VanderMolen wrote:
> I just wish Microsoft would get interested enough in this problem
> to do some vigorous and definitive testing, followed by a
> suitable Knowledge Base article describing the appropriate fix.

<snip>

Re: Can not open attachments in Windows Mail
First of all, Defender is not an anti-virus application, it's an
anti-spyware application.

Second, I have no idea why Defender's real-time protection doesn't interfere
when installing an IE upgrade or Windows Service Pack. I just know that
it's doesn't based on user feedback in newsgroups and my own testing.

JS wrote:
> Then tell me why it's OK to leave Defender on
> and risky to not turn other AV software off.
>
> I'm not bashing Microsoft but they full well know who
> the major players are in the AV world and need to
> take this into consideration instead of just using Defender
> as a baseline to perform a suite of tests prior to Patch Tuesday
> or other updates.

>> Wrong.
>>
>> JS wrote:
>>> "Windows Defender is the one anti-spyware
>>> application you do not need to disable prior to installing
>>> or uninstalling IE8 (and IE9, when it's released)."
>>>
>>> That's because Microsoft does not have a vigorous
>>> "Integration Testing" plan!

Gary VanderMolen

Re: Can not open attachments in Windows Mail
<< In many instances, uninstalling IE8 has not corrected the problem >>

Sorry, I can't agree with that statement. In my experience, most of the
instances where the characteristic attachment error message appears,
the matter has been resolved by uninstalling IE8.
In the Vista Windows Mail newsgroup, as far as I can recall, only *one*
individual reported back that reverting to IE7 did not cure the problem.

--
Gary VanderMolen, MS-MVP (Mail