Updating dual install of Office Pro 2000 and Office 2007

genegold

Updating dual install of Office Pro 2000 and Office 2007
On a new HDD, I installed Office Pro 2000 and then Home/Student 2007, both in
the same MS Office directory, different folders. Running MS Update, 2007 got
updates but 2000 didn't - and, of course, there should be quite a few.
Afterward, I had some vague recollection that it's necessary to install 2007
first, but uninstalling 2000, rebooting and reinstalling it didn't do the
trick. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Re: Updating dual install of Office Pro 2000 and Office 2007
[Crosspost to Office Update newsgroup]

Microsoft Update does not support MS Office 2000; see
http://blogs.technet.com/office_sust...p-to-date.aspx

Use Office Update instead:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...incatalog.aspx

NB: Microsoft Office 2000 leaves extended support on July 14, 2009. Office
2000 patches published on or before July 14, 2009 will remain available at
the Download Center. MS is going to "disappear" Office Update on 01 August
2009. After that, you'll only be able to update your installed MS Office
version(s) via Microsoft Update.

More:
http://blogs.technet.com/office_sust...to-retire.aspx

genegold wrote:
> On a new HDD, I installed Office Pro 2000 and then Home/Student 2007, both
> in the same MS Office directory, different folders. Running MS Update,
> 2007 got updates but 2000 didn't - and, of course, there should be quite a
> few. Afterward, I had some vague recollection that it's necessary to
> install 2007 first, but uninstalling 2000, rebooting and reinstalling it
> didn't do the trick. Any suggestions? Thanks

genegold

Re: Updating dual install of Office Pro 2000 and Office 2007
Robear,
Thanks! I had assumed everything was already coming through MS Update,
since I'd been seeing at least 2007 ones there for quite awhile.

The links you posted about the end of extended support for Office 2000 are
not easy to understand. What does the end of Extended Support mean
practically in terms of security updates (I assume it means no more service
packs)? There are a lot of businesses (and individuals) still using Office
2000.

Gene

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to Office Update newsgroup]
>
> Microsoft Update does not support MS Office 2000; see
> http://blogs.technet.com/office_sust...p-to-date.aspx
>
> Use Office Update instead:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...incatalog.aspx
>
> NB: Microsoft Office 2000 leaves extended support on July 14, 2009. Office
> 2000 patches published on or before July 14, 2009 will remain available at
> the Download Center. MS is going to "disappear" Office Update on 01 August
> 2009. After that, you'll only be able to update your installed MS Office
> version(s) via Microsoft Update.
>
> More:
> http://blogs.technet.com/office_sust...to-retire.aspx
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> genegold wrote:
> > On a new HDD, I installed Office Pro 2000 and then Home/Student 2007, both
> > in the same MS Office directory, different folders. Running MS Update,
> > 2007 got updates but 2000 didn't - and, of course, there should be quite a
> > few. Afterward, I had some vague recollection that it's necessary to
> > install 2007 first, but uninstalling 2000, rebooting and reinstalling it
> > didn't do the trick. Any suggestions? Thanks

Re: Updating dual install of Office Pro 2000 and Office 2007
> ...What does the end of Extended Support mean
> practically in terms of security updates?

After 14 July 2009, no further critical security updates will be released
for Office 2000.

gene@none.net

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:

> > ...What does the end of Extended Support mean
> > practically in terms of security updates?

> After 14 July 2009, no further critical security updates will be released
> for Office 2000.

I understand product cycles, but this termination seems self-defeating
until there's an Office version that's as widely accepted or liked as
2000. For organizations, especially large corporations, the overhead of
a transition to something along the lines of 2007's design is high;
it's wholly different and more particularly intuitive. Nothing like '97
to 2000. Thanks for your help.

Gene

Re: Updating dual install of Office Pro 2000 and Office 2007
YW.

PS: Please don't kill the messenger: I neither work for nor represent MS.

gene@none.net wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>> ...What does the end of Extended Support mean
>>> practically in terms of security updates?

>> After 14 July 2009, no further critical security updates will be released
>> for Office 2000.
>>

> I understand product cycles, but this termination seems self-defeating
> until there's an Office version that's as widely accepted or liked as
> 2000. For organizations, especially large corporations, the overhead of
> a transition to something along the lines of 2007's design is high;
> it's wholly different and more particularly intuitive. Nothing like '97
> to 2000. Thanks for your help.
>
> Gene

GHalleck

gene@none.net wrote:

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABearMVP@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>>...What does the end of Extended Support mean
>>>practically in terms of security updates?

>>After 14 July 2009, no further critical security updates will be released
>>for Office 2000.
>>

> I understand product cycles, but this termination seems self-defeating
> until there's an Office version that's as widely accepted or liked as
> 2000. For organizations, especially large corporations, the overhead of
> a transition to something along the lines of 2007's design is high;
> it's wholly different and more particularly intuitive. Nothing like '97
> to 2000. Thanks for your help.
>
> Gene

One needs to remember that major businesses buy in bulk and
this includes taking advantage of any bundled applications.
AFAIK, one of the popular bundles combined Windows XP Pro
and Office 2003. This makes Office 2000/2003 the predominat
office suite. And business users typically perform updates,
staying current despite "end of cycle".

And this custom should be intuitive among even the casual user.
Install Office 2000 SR-1 and update. Download and store all of
the critical Office 2000 updates. This should dispel any issues
concerning a mature product.

In regards to installing Office 2007 (and we just completed an
upgrade project for a client who needed both), it is put into
its own folder (following tradition for multiple installs of
Office in the same computer). No problems in getting its updates
downloaded and installed.

Good luck.
gene@none.net

GHalleck <ghalleck@arrakian.mining.com> wrote:

> One needs to remember that major businesses buy in bulk and
> this includes taking advantage of any bundled applications.
> AFAIK, one of the popular bundles combined Windows XP Pro
> and Office 2003. This makes Office 2000/2003 the predominat
> office suite. And business users typically perform updates,
> staying current despite "end of cycle".
>
> And this custom should be intuitive among even the casual user.
> Install Office 2000 SR-1 and update. Download and store all of
> the critical Office 2000 updates. This should dispel any issues
> concerning a mature product.
>
> In regards to installing Office 2007 (and we just completed an
> upgrade project for a client who needed both), it is put into
> its own folder (following tradition for multiple installs of
> Office in the same computer). No problems in getting its updates
> downloaded and installed.

Don't have a clue what you're point is. Mine is not about bulk buying,
but training, both formal and informal, where substantial direct
and indirect costs come into play. Office 2007 is, practically
speaking, a fundamentally different program than 2000 (I'm not familiar
with 2003 and have never seen it at a business). From 2001 to 2008 I
worked at a number of large corporation HQs, universities and primary
regional locations in the midwest, especially in medical research/sales
and banking/financial services. As of about a year ago, I had not come
across one using anything later than Office 2000 (one still had '97).
Heck, because of the costs a number of them killed well-planned
company-wide computer upgrades and stayed with their ~1999-2001
models. Can't imagine the current economic situation favors either
hardware or software upgrades.

No Papa Bear, I wasn't shooting you or really anyone. However, if
there are some malware attacks that take advantage of 2000's end of
cycle, there may well be some people loading up.

Gene

Re: Updating dual install of Office Pro 2000 and Office 2007
[Guys, please discontinue the crosspost to Windows Update newsgroup if you
wish to discuess this further. Thanks.]

gene@none.net wrote:
> GHalleck <ghalleck@arrakian.mining.com> wrote:
>
>> One needs to remember that major businesses buy in bulk and
>> this includes taking advantage of any bundled applications.
>> AFAIK, one of the popular bundles combined Windows XP Pro
>> and Office 2003. This makes Office 2000/2003 the predominat
>> office suite. And business users typically perform updates,
>> staying current despite "end of cycle".
>>
>> And this custom should be intuitive among even the casual user.
>> Install Office 2000 SR-1 and update. Download and store all of
>> the critical Office 2000 updates. This should dispel any issues
>> concerning a mature product.
>>
>> In regards to installing Office 2007 (and we just completed an
>> upgrade project for a client who needed both), it is put into
>> its own folder (following tradition for multiple installs of
>> Office in the same computer). No problems in getting its updates
>> downloaded and installed.

> Don't have a clue what you're point is. Mine is not about bulk buying,
> but training, both formal and informal, where substantial direct
> and indirect costs come into play. Office 2007 is, practically
> speaking, a fundamentally different program than 2000 (I'm not familiar
> with 2003 and have never seen it at a business). From 2001 to 2008 I
> worked at a number of large corporation HQs, universities and primary
> regional locations in the midwest, especially in medical research/sales
> and banking/financial services. As of about a year ago, I had not come
> across one using anything later than Office 2000 (one still had '97).
> Heck, because of the costs a number of them killed well-planned
> company-wide computer upgrades and stayed with their ~1999-2001
> models. Can't imagine the current economic situation favors either
> hardware or software upgrades.
>
> No Papa Bear, I wasn't shooting you or really anyone. However, if
> there are some malware attacks that take advantage of 2000's end of
> cycle, there may well be some people loading up.
>
> Gene

gene@none.net

Re: Updating dual install of Office Pro 2000 and Office 2007
Since this thread, I've received two emails from Microsoft Support
telling me that no Office 2000 updates are available. I'm glad that I
asked here first (or on MS's version of here).

Gene