RE: problem with window update

whaaa

RE: problem with window update
I have the same problem as Gary. But I find that because I have not installed
the update, my computer continues to be vulnerable to attacks. My anti-virus
software always tells me (every time I turn on my computer) that I don't have
protection against malicious software or email attachment scanning. Again,
the windows defender icon has the exclamation point on it saying that I need
to check for updates. Whenever I click on 'check for updates' windows tells
me there are no new updates. What kind of game is this? And is there a
solution or has Microsoft come up against a challenge it can't handle? Can
somebody tell me how to solve this issue?

"gary" wrote:

> I have post the questioin on the 27th, Hope some one can help me.
> there is an update for "critical updates for windows live toolbar3.01" but
> with 0KB, and also there is an advised signal on the starts up bar to remind
> me to install this new update, so I update that again and again, but it is
> still there, even when I turn off the pc, it is still reminding me. And i
> can't view my update history, also I
> can't get any new update. Pls help me

Shenan Stanley

whaaa wrote:
> I have the same problem as Gary. But I find that because I have not
> installed the update, my computer continues to be vulnerable to
> attacks. My anti-virus software always tells me (every time I turn
> on my computer) that I don't have protection against malicious
> software or email attachment scanning. Again, the windows defender
> icon has the exclamation point on it saying that I need to check
> for updates. Whenever I click on 'check for updates' windows tells
> me there are no new updates. What kind of game is this? And is
> there a solution or has Microsoft come up against a challenge it
> can't handle? Can somebody tell me how to solve this issue?

Operating system?
Service pack level?
What *is* your antivirus software?
What antimalware software are you using / have you used?

*If* it is 32-bit Windows XP - try the following...

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do
not see any urgent need to install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

** If it seemed to have failed, do this: **

Check the status of these two services:
- Automatic Updates
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In the list of
services, find those two, right click on them one at a time and choose
properties. In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to?

Report that here.

Then:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Come back, reply to this conversation, let everyone know how it turns out
(whether or not you need more help...)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP