Windows File Protection

freedon

Windows File Protection
Hi all, I recently got a message saying that Files that are required for
Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions and that
I should install my disc with sp3, which I don't have. I have windows home
edition sp2.

Not knowing what to do, and in sheer panic mode, I shut down my pc and
restarted it again later, my computer now appears to be running ok, but I
can't help but worry that my pc will suddenly crash, is there any cause for
concern and if so, what can I do about it?

I have tried reading the answers on the discussion group page, but to be
honest, it's all double dutch to me. (What I know about computers can be
written on the back of a stamp lol)

Hoping you can help.

Regards Don.

Re: Windows File Protection
How does your question pertain to Windows Update?

What third-party firewall (if any)?

freedon wrote:
> Hi all, I recently got a message saying that Files that are required for
> Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions and
> that
> I should install my disc with sp3, which I don't have. I have windows home
> edition sp2.
>
> Not knowing what to do, and in sheer panic mode, I shut down my pc and
> restarted it again later, my computer now appears to be running ok, but I
> can't help but worry that my pc will suddenly crash, is there any cause
> for
> concern and if so, what can I do about it?
>
> I have tried reading the answers on the discussion group page, but to be
> honest, it's all double dutch to me. (What I know about computers can be
> written on the back of a stamp lol)
>
> Hoping you can help.
>
> Regards Don.

freedon

Re: Windows File Protection
Hi PA, sorry if I posted in the wrong thread, i'm new to this and wasn't sure
where to post, My anti-virus/ firewall and spyware applications are all
supplied by my IPS, which is virgin media and yes and yes, they are all
current and updated constantly.

In addition I also have spybot search & destroy, I have never had Norton or
McAfee applications installed on this machine.

Don

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> How does your question pertain to Windows Update?

> What third-party firewall (if any)?

> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> freedon wrote:
> > Hi all, I recently got a message saying that Files that are required for
> > Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions and
> > that
> > I should install my disc with sp3, which I don't have. I have windows home
> > edition sp2.
> >
> > Not knowing what to do, and in sheer panic mode, I shut down my pc and
> > restarted it again later, my computer now appears to be running ok, but I
> > can't help but worry that my pc will suddenly crash, is there any cause
> > for
> > concern and if so, what can I do about it?
> >
> > I have tried reading the answers on the discussion group page, but to be
> > honest, it's all double dutch to me. (What I know about computers can be
> > written on the back of a stamp lol)
> >
> > Hoping you can help.
> >
> > Regards Don.

Re: Windows File Protection
Sounds like you posted in the wrong newsgroup. Try posting here instead:
microsoft.public.windowsxp.general

freedon wrote:
> Hi PA, sorry if I posted in the wrong thread, i'm new to this and wasn't
> sure where to post, My anti-virus/ firewall and spyware applications are
> all
> supplied by my IPS, which is virgin media and yes and yes, they are all
> current and updated constantly.
>
> In addition I also have spybot search & destroy, I have never had Norton
> or
> McAfee applications installed on this machine.
>

> Don
>

> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> How does your question pertain to Windows Update?

>> Has a Norton or McAfee application ever been installed on this machine
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> freedon wrote:
>>> Hi all, I recently got a message saying that Files that are required for
>>> Windows to run properly have been replaced by unrecognized versions and
>>> that
>>> I should install my disc with sp3, which I don't have. I have windows
>>> home
>>> edition sp2.
>>>
>>> Not knowing what to do, and in sheer panic mode, I shut down my pc and
>>> restarted it again later, my computer now appears to be running ok, but
>>> can't help but worry that my pc will suddenly crash, is there any cause
>>> for
>>> concern and if so, what can I do about it?
>>>
>>> I have tried reading the answers on the discussion group page, but to be
>>> honest, it's all double dutch to me. (What I know about computers can be
>>> written on the back of a stamp lol)
>>>
>>> Hoping you can help.
>>>
>>> Regards Don.

Shenan Stanley

Re: Windows File Protection
freedon wrote:
> I recently got a message saying that Files that are
> required for Windows to run properly have been replaced by
> unrecognized versions and that I should install my disc with sp3,
> which I don't have. I have windows home edition sp2.
>
> Not knowing what to do, and in sheer panic mode, I shut down my pc
> and restarted it again later, my computer now appears to be running
> ok, but I can't help but worry that my pc will suddenly crash, is
> there any cause for concern and if so, what can I do about it?
>
> I have tried reading the answers on the discussion group page, but
> to be honest, it's all double dutch to me. (What I know about
> computers can be written on the back of a stamp lol)

Did you install anything before you got that message? Hardware or software?

You can use your Windows XP Home Edition with SP2 integrated CD and create a
Windows XP Home Edition with SP3 integrated - if you like. It's very easy -
and there are several other applications out there (AutoStreamer, nLite,
etc) that make it even easier (granted you have a CD burner and some extra
disk space and the full download of SP3.)

In any case - let's make sure you are relatively clean of malware and your
updates (and the system that automates the updating of the OS is updated)
are current:

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates. Also - I do
not see any urgent need to install Internet Explorer 8 at this time.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

** If it seemed to have failed, do this: **

Check the status of these two services:
- Automatic Updates
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In the list of
services, find those two, right click on them one at a time and choose
properties. In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to?

Report that here.

Then:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

Come back, reply to this conversation, let everyone know how it turns out
(whether or not you need more help...)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

freedon

Re: Windows File Protection
Hi Shenan, I have run the spyware and malware programs as you suggested and
was surprised to find so many spyware items. Anyway, I deleted them, rebooted
my pc and then followed your instructions and in the run box I typed in
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv and clicked ok.

So far so good, however when I typed in %SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32
%SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll and clicked ok, I recieved the following
message,
C:\Windows\system32\regsvr32c:\windows\system32 is not accessible. The
filename,directory name, or volume lable syntax is incorrect. I clicked ok to
close the box and tried again thinking I had mis-typed, but I got the same
message.

I am now getting really worried, suggestions please.

Regards Don.
--
Don

freedon wrote:
> I have run the spyware and malware programs as you
> suggested and was surprised to find so many spyware items. Anyway,
> I deleted them, rebooted my pc and then followed your instructions
> and in the run box I typed in %SystemRoot%\system32\net stop
> wuauserv and clicked ok.
>
> So far so good, however when I typed in
> %SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll and
> clicked ok, I recieved the following message,
> C:\Windows\system32\regsvr32c:\windows\system32 is not accessible.
> The filename,directory name, or volume lable syntax is incorrect. I
> clicked ok to close the box and tried again thinking I had
> mis-typed, but I got the same message.
>
> I am now getting really worried, suggestions please.

If you have given the error message *as* it was given to you - it looks like
you left out a space.

%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll

If not - do the following...

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
cmd /k dir %SystemRoot%\System32\regsvr*.*
--> Click OK

You should see a command prompt open with the results of the command (about
6 lines of actual text.)

Copy/paste those here.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

freedon

Re: Windows File Protection
Hi Shenan, sorry you were correct, I did miss the space, anyway I rectified
that and went on to the next stage and downloaded
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237 and saved it to my C:\ drive.

Being very careful to follow your instructions I then clicked on the run
button and typed %SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE.
Unfortunatly I recieved the following message:
C:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe is not a valid Win32 application. Thinking
that maybe I had mistyped it, I logged back on to the internet and copied the
relevent part of your instructions and then pasted it into the run box, but
got the same result.

I am sorry to be such a pain, my mum always said if I had two brain cells
i'd be dangerous lol.

Regards, Don.

freedon wrote:
> Sorry, you were correct, I did miss the space, anyway I
> rectified that and went on to the next stage and downloaded
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237 and saved it to my C:\
> drive.
>
> Being very careful to follow your instructions I then clicked on
> the run button and typed %SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe
> /WUFORCE. Unfortunatly I recieved the following message:
> C:\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe is not a valid Win32 application.
> Thinking that maybe I had mistyped it, I logged back on to the
> internet and copied the relevent part of your instructions and then
> pasted it into the run box, but got the same result.
>
> I am sorry to be such a pain, my mum always said if I had two brain
> cells i'd be dangerous lol.

I said to save the file to the *root* of your C:\ drive. Make sure it is
there.

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
cmd /k dir %SystemDrive%\windowsupdate*.*
--> Click OK

You should see a command prompt open with the results of the command (about
6 lines of actual text.)

Copy/paste those here.

They should look similar to this:
------
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is ####-####

Directory of C:\

06/06/2009 04:36 pm 6,216,032 windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe
1 File(s) 6,216,032 bytes
0 Dir(s) ##,###,###,### bytes free
------

Essentially - we are making sure you saved the correct file in the correct
place for my instructions.

If it is - then I suggest you download the file again - save it to your
desktop this time and manually copy it to your C:\ drive (root) - replacing
whatever is there if it asks - then try the command again.

If that fails, do me a favor and perform the following:

Start button --> RUN --> type in:
winver
--> Click OK.

The picture at the top of the window that opens will give you the general
(Operating System name) while the line starting with the word "version" will
give you the rest of the story. Post both in response to this message
verbatim. ;-)

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way

freedon

Re: Windows File Protection
Hi Shenan, thanks for your patience, I did say on my 1st post that my
knowledge of computers can be written on the back of a postage stamp, I
actually meant written in capital letters lol.

Anyway, I have copied and pasted your latest info into the run function and
recieved the following:

Volume in drive c has no label.
Volume serial number is 3E61-11f1
Directory of c:\
File not found
C:\Documents and settings\Donald>

When you say "save the file to the *root* of your C:\ drive" how do I do
this?

Sorry but I am over tired and more than a little stressed (I gave up smoking
last month and growl like a pitbull everytime someone so much as looks at me
lol)

Seriously though, its gone midnight here and I was up early so am going to
get some beauty sleep God knows I need it lol.

Thanks again for being so patient, and I will have another go tomorrow,
hopefully I will finally get the hang of it.
--
All the best, Don.