0x800706BE error code when installing ie8 in XP

doodle5555

0x800706BE error code when installing ie8 in XP
Since the official release of ie8 i've trying to install it. It always fails.
The log file mentions error code 0x800706BE. Even other updates are now not
installing anymore.

Before the official release I've been using ie8 beta release without any
problems. Because of the problem with the installation XP restored my
previous IE version (ie6)

I'm really so annoyed by this that I've installed firefox and chrome. No
problems whatsoever!

Because other security installations now also fail, I'm willing to give it
one more try. But I'm almost so fed up that I'm seriously considering to
change to Ubuntu.
Ǝиçεl

RE: 0x800706BE error code when installing ie8 in XP
0X800706BE = RPC_S_CALL_FAILED
The remote procedure call failed.
-=-

Your computer cannot communicate with the update servers.

What level Service Pack?

What anti-virus application or security suite is installed

What third-party firewall (if any) are you using?

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375>
-=-

"doodle5555" wrote:

> Since the official release of ie8 i've trying to install it. It always fails.
> The log file mentions error code 0x800706BE. Even other updates are now not
> installing anymore.
>
> Before the official release I've been using ie8 beta release without any
> problems. Because of the problem with the installation XP restored my
> previous IE version (ie6)
>
> I'm really so annoyed by this that I've installed firefox and chrome. No
> problems whatsoever!
>
> Because other security installations now also fail, I'm willing to give it
> one more try. But I'm almost so fed up that I'm seriously considering to
> change to Ubuntu.

Ǝиçεl

RE: 0x800706BE error code when installing ie8 in XP
Make sure Remote Procedure Call (RPC) is started.

Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
and
Windows Installer Service
are
dependent on Remote Procedure Call (RPC) service
and
if RPC is not started,
BITS and Windows Installer will fail and eventually the updates are not
installed.
-=-

Good luck

Ǝиçεl
-=-

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xp=&sloc=en-us

"doodle5555" wrote:

> Since the official release of ie8 i've trying to install it. It always fails.
> The log file mentions error code 0x800706BE. Even other updates are now not
> installing anymore.
>
> Before the official release I've been using ie8 beta release without any
> problems. Because of the problem with the installation XP restored my
> previous IE version (ie6)
>
> I'm really so annoyed by this that I've installed firefox and chrome. No
> problems whatsoever!
>
> Because other security installations now also fail, I'm willing to give it
> one more try. But I'm almost so fed up that I'm seriously considering to
> change to Ubuntu.

Re: 0x800706BE error code when installing ie8 in XP
[crosspost to IE General]

HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
install it.
--
IE-specific newsgroup:

doodle5555 wrote:
> Since the official release of ie8 i've trying to install it. It always
> fails. The log file mentions error code 0x800706BE. Even other updates are
> now not installing anymore.
>
> Before the official release I've been using ie8 beta release without any
> problems. Because of the problem with the installation XP restored my
> previous IE version (ie6)
>
> I'm really so annoyed by this that I've installed firefox and chrome. No
> problems whatsoever!
>
> Because other security installations now also fail, I'm willing to give it
> one more try. But I'm almost so fed up that I'm seriously considering to
> change to Ubuntu.

doodle5555

Re: 0x800706BE error code when installing ie8 in XP
Thnx for the suggestion, it didn't do the trick but it's nice to know that
someone on a MS site is trying to help me out. The attempt may give some
extra clues. If i try to install in the way suggested I get an incompatible
language error before installation; I tried to install ie8 in dutch. If I try
to install the usa-version I get an error on installation at the point where
the installation is doing something with the language packs (?).
I can't install ie7 as well; I get the error 0xF00D.

I'm running a XP Volume Licence in a MUI installation (Dutch/English),
problably SP3.
The other suggestion (someone else?) about the RPC isn't helpful. The
service is up and running. My malware software is Windows Defender and my
virus software is Sophos, but on the last installation I had them both
switched off.
"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [crosspost to IE General]
>
> HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a non-domain
> environment.
> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> => Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>
> My personal recommendations include:
>
> => Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
>
> => Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
> and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.
>
> => Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
> installing or uninstalling IE8.
>
> => I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
> anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
> before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
> third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
> Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.
>
> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
> System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
> reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
> http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]
>
> => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.
>
> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
> application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
> third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
> install it.
> --
> IE-specific newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> doodle5555 wrote:
> > Since the official release of ie8 i've trying to install it. It always
> > fails. The log file mentions error code 0x800706BE. Even other updates are
> > now not installing anymore.
> >
> > Before the official release I've been using ie8 beta release without any
> > problems. Because of the problem with the installation XP restored my
> > previous IE version (ie6)
> >
> > I'm really so annoyed by this that I've installed firefox and chrome. No
> > problems whatsoever!
> >
> > Because other security installations now also fail, I'm willing to give it
> > one more try. But I'm almost so fed up that I'm seriously considering to
> > change to Ubuntu.

Re: 0x800706BE error code when installing ie8 in XP
0x800706BE = The remote procedure call failed

Any number of things can cause that error (including a hijackware
infection).

> I'm running a XP Volume Licence in a MUI installation (Dutch/English)...

Is it a Dutch-language version of WinXP with the English MUI installed or is
it an English-language version of WinXP with the Dutch MUI installed?

> ...problably SP3.

We need to know for sure: Right-click on My Computer & select PROPERTIES:
What WinXP version is listed here?

Did you recently have occasion to do a Repair Install or clean install of
WinXP? If so, why?

> I can't install ie7 as well; I get the error 0xF00D.

Assuming Windows is installed on the C: drive, is C:\Program Files\Internet
Explorer <=this folder found or perchance did you move it to a different
drive (e.g., D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer)?

> ...my virus software is Sophos

Is your subscription still current? I can tell you that at least one
component of Sophos AV (i.e., Sophos Web Content Scanner add-on) is not
compatible with IE8; see TJ's 6/1/09 post in this related thread:
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...2-3b6ed2286b59

While I do NOT recommend installing IE8 via Windows Update, I'm a little
concerned about your ability to install updates. Can you (1) reach
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and (2) select CUSTOM & scan? If any
critical security updates are offered, (3) can you install them
successfully?

NB: For now, please de-select IE8 and "hide" it.

doodle5555 wrote:
> [...]
>> install it.
>> --
>> IE-specific newsgroup:
>>
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> doodle5555 wrote:
>>> Since the official release of ie8 i've trying to install it. It always
>>> fails. The log file mentions error code 0x800706BE. Even other updates
>>> are
>>> now not installing anymore.
>>>
>>> Before the official release I've been using ie8 beta release without any
>>> problems. Because of the problem with the installation XP restored my
>>> previous IE version (ie6)
>>>
>>> I'm really so annoyed by this that I've installed firefox and chrome. No
>>> problems whatsoever!
>>>
>>> Because other security installations now also fail, I'm willing to give
>>> it
>>> one more try. But I'm almost so fed up that I'm seriously considering to

Tae Song

"doodle5555" <doodle5555@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> Since the official release of ie8 i've trying to install it. It always
> fails.
> The log file mentions error code 0x800706BE. Even other updates are now
> not
> installing anymore.
>
> Before the official release I've been using ie8 beta release without any
> problems. Because of the problem with the installation XP restored my
> previous IE version (ie6)
>
> I'm really so annoyed by this that I've installed firefox and chrome. No
> problems whatsoever!
>
> Because other security installations now also fail, I'm willing to give it
> one more try. But I'm almost so fed up that I'm seriously considering to
> change to Ubuntu.

Run SFC /SCANNOW and see if there are any problems SFC can not fix.