Windows Defender new definition update

t-4-2

Windows Defender new definition update
Vista Home Premium SP 1, WLM 14v
Windows Defender showed me an exclamation mark in the notification area, and
that I needed to install a new definition.
This is the 2nd time this year I had to go to the Windows Defender Update
center looking for new definition.
I thought all new updates were supposed to show up in Windows Update. ( I
have it set at manual install ).
Has it something to do with SP 1 that I installed around Jan. this year ? I
had it without SP 1 for a year and never had this situation.
Windows Defender is set on scheduled scanning.
I also configured Windows defender to check for update before scanning.
YET, I still had to look for new definition. Why ?
t-4-2

MowGreen

Re: Windows Defender new definition update
What is the installed antivirus or security suite ?
Is it configured according to Microsoft's recommendations shown here ?

Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

You may be seeing the affects of corruption in the update DataStore
file, an update transaction log, or in the subfolder where the updates
are downloaded to. Suggest you first configure the AV/security suite to
*not* monitor nor scan the locations that MS suggests not to
monitor/scan, and then run this MS Fixit tool in it's Default mode:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

> Note This Fix it solution works for all languages. However, for some languages,
> the wizard text may be in English.

HTH

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

t-4-2 wrote:

> Vista Home Premium SP 1, WLM 14v
> Windows Defender showed me an exclamation mark in the notification area,
> and
> that I needed to install a new definition.
> This is the 2nd time this year I had to go to the Windows Defender Update
> center looking for new definition.
> I thought all new updates were supposed to show up in Windows Update. ( I
> have it set at manual install ).
> Has it something to do with SP 1 that I installed around Jan. this year ? I
> had it without SP 1 for a year and never had this situation.
> Windows Defender is set on scheduled scanning.
> I also configured Windows defender to check for update before scanning.
> YET, I still had to look for new definition. Why ?
> t-4-2

t-4-2

Re: Windows Defender new definition update
Just avast free edition, Standard Shield version 4.8-1296. Spybot Search &
Destroy 1.6.2, CCleaner 2.20.920
t-4-2

"MowGreen" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
> What is the installed antivirus or security suite ?
> Is it configured according to Microsoft's recommendations shown here ?
>
> Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
> Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows
> Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
>

> You may be seeing the affects of corruption in the update DataStore
> file, an update transaction log, or in the subfolder where the updates
> are downloaded to. Suggest you first configure the AV/security suite to
> *not* monitor nor scan the locations that MS suggests not to
> monitor/scan, and then run this MS Fixit tool in it's Default mode:
>
> How do I reset Windows Update components?
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>
>> Note This Fix it solution works for all languages. However, for some
>> languages,
>> the wizard text may be in English.

> HTH
>
> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> t-4-2 wrote:
>
>> Vista Home Premium SP 1, WLM 14v
>> Windows Defender showed me an exclamation mark in the notification area,
>> and
>> that I needed to install a new definition.
>> This is the 2nd time this year I had to go to the Windows Defender Update
>> center looking for new definition.
>> I thought all new updates were supposed to show up in Windows Update. ( I
>> have it set at manual install ).
>> Has it something to do with SP 1 that I installed around Jan. this year ?
>> had it without SP 1 for a year and never had this situation.
>> Windows Defender is set on scheduled scanning.
>> I also configured Windows defender to check for update before scanning.
>> YET, I still had to look for new definition. Why ?
>> t-4-2

Re: Windows Defender new definition update
Defender updates are released to Windows Update/Automatic Updates 2 times a
week. If this is only the second time this year that you've had to download
updates manually, I wouldn't get overly concerned about it.

Also see what Mow said.

t-4-2 wrote:
> Vista Home Premium SP 1, WLM 14v
> Windows Defender showed me an exclamation mark in the notification area,
> and
> that I needed to install a new definition.
> This is the 2nd time this year I had to go to the Windows Defender Update
> center looking for new definition.
> I thought all new updates were supposed to show up in Windows Update. ( I
> have it set at manual install ).
> Has it something to do with SP 1 that I installed around Jan. this year ?
> had it without SP 1 for a year and never had this situation.
> Windows Defender is set on scheduled scanning.
> I also configured Windows defender to check for update before scanning.
> YET, I still had to look for new definition. Why ?
> t-4-2

MowGreen

Re: Windows Defender new definition update
> avast free edition, Standard Shield version 4.8-1296

*Right* click the Avast icon in the Notification Area, choose Updating,
Program Update. AFAIK, the latest version of Avast free is 4.8.1335.

It's conceivable that the use of CCleaner may be the cause of the
Windows Defender updating issue. Not likely, but it's a possibility.
It would depend on how CCleaner is configured. Installed with it's
*Default settings*, it will not cause updating issues.

If Spybot's Immunize or TeTimer is being used, either of those may be
the cause, too, but again, it's *not* likely.

As PABear stated in his post, having an update issue with just 2 WD def
updates this year is not a great cause for alarm.
But, if it keeps on occurring, suggest you first try resetting the
Windows Update components, as stated previously :

t-4-2 wrote:
> Just avast free edition, Standard Shield version 4.8-1296. Spybot
> Search & Destroy 1.6.2, CCleaner 2.20.920
> t-4-2
>
> "MowGreen" <mowgreen@nowandzen.com> wrote in message
>
>> What is the installed antivirus or security suite ?
>> Is it configured according to Microsoft's recommendations shown here ?
>>
>> Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
>> Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows
>> Vista
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
>>

>> You may be seeing the affects of corruption in the update DataStore
>> file, an update transaction log, or in the subfolder where the updates
>> are downloaded to. Suggest you first configure the AV/security suite to
>> *not* monitor nor scan the locations that MS suggests not to
>> monitor/scan, and then run this MS Fixit tool in it's Default mode:
>>
>> How do I reset Windows Update components?
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058
>>
>>> Note This Fix it solution works for all languages. However, for some
>>> languages,
>>> the wizard text may be in English.

>> HTH
>>
>> MowGreen
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> t-4-2 wrote:
>>
>>> Vista Home Premium SP 1, WLM 14v
>>> Windows Defender showed me an exclamation mark in the notification area,
>>> and
>>> that I needed to install a new definition.
>>> This is the 2nd time this year I had to go to the Windows Defender
>>> Update
>>> center looking for new definition.
>>> I thought all new updates were supposed to show up in Windows Update.
>>> ( I
>>> have it set at manual install ).
>>> Has it something to do with SP 1 that I installed around Jan. this
>>> year ? I
>>> had it without SP 1 for a year and never had this situation.
>>> Windows Defender is set on scheduled scanning.
>>> I also configured Windows defender to check for update before scanning.
>>> YET, I still had to look for new definition. Why ?
>>> t-4-2

t-4-2

Re: Windows Defender new definition update
Thank you. Was not aware of a new Avast version. I thought I would be
notified for new version when I opened Avast, just like it did in CCleaner
about a week ago.