Security Update for PowerPoint Viewer 2003 (KB969615) keeps poping

Wolfgang Kaml

Security Update for PowerPoint Viewer 2003 (KB969615) keeps poping
Hello everyone!

I have a Windows XP SP3 machine with Office 2002 SP3 installed. This machine
has MS Word 2002, MS Excel 2002, MS Publisher 2002, MS Outlook 2002, and MS
Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003 installed.

Recently this machine has been updated from WinXP SP2 to SP3. When running
Windows Update, it shows that "Security Update for PowerPoint Viewer 2003
(KB969615)" has to be installed.

I run the update.

At the end, Windows Update returns and says that the update has been
installed successfully.

I run Windows Update again and the same KB969615 keep showing saying it
needs to be installed.

I am puzzled of how to fix this problem since this machine is spinning
circles now.
What are potential issues and how can I go about fixing them? (FYI: A
different KP update for Windows just installed fine a few secs ago and
disappeared from the to be updated list.)

Thank you so much for any tips!
Wolfgang
Ǝиçεl

RE: Security Update for PowerPoint Viewer 2003 (KB969615) keeps poping
How to troubleshoot Windows Update or Microsoft Update when you are
repeatedly offered an update
<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910339>

--OR--

<https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?gprid=6527>
to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB969615).

Support for Windows Update:
<http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport>
site: <http://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx>
your usual support contacts.
--

"Wolfgang Kaml" wrote:

> Hello everyone!
>
> I have a Windows XP SP3 machine with Office 2002 SP3 installed. This machine
> has MS Word 2002, MS Excel 2002, MS Publisher 2002, MS Outlook 2002, and MS
> Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003 installed.
>
> Recently this machine has been updated from WinXP SP2 to SP3. When running
> Windows Update, it shows that "Security Update for PowerPoint Viewer 2003
> (KB969615)" has to be installed.
>
> I run the update.
>
> At the end, Windows Update returns and says that the update has been
> installed successfully.
>
> I run Windows Update again and the same KB969615 keep showing saying it
> needs to be installed.
>
> I am puzzled of how to fix this problem since this machine is spinning
> circles now.
> What are potential issues and how can I go about fixing them? (FYI: A
> different KP update for Windows just installed fine a few secs ago and
> disappeared from the to be updated list.)
>
> Thank you so much for any tips!
> Wolfgang

TaurArian

Re: Security Update for PowerPoint Viewer 2003 (KB969615) keeps poping
Wolfgang Kaml wrote:
:: Hello everyone!
::
[...]

It's probably lost the installation files from the original installation of
the viewer.

Suggest uninstalling MS Powerpoint Viewer 2003, grab another copy and
install it and run WU again.
or if you prefer grab the 2007 MS Powerpoint viewer

The problem usually occurs when the update can't find the source, which no
doubt would have been deleted after installation a long time ago.

HTH

--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

MowGreen

TaurArian wrote:

> Wolfgang Kaml wrote:
> :: Hello everyone!
> ::
> :: I have a Windows XP SP3 machine with Office 2002 SP3 installed. This
> :: machine has MS Word 2002, MS Excel 2002, MS Publisher 2002, MS
> :: Outlook 2002, and MS Office PowerPoint Viewer 2003 installed.
> ::
> :: Recently this machine has been updated from WinXP SP2 to SP3. When
> :: running Windows Update, it shows that "Security Update for
> :: PowerPoint Viewer 2003 (KB969615)" has to be installed.
> ::
> :: I run the update.
> ::
> :: At the end, Windows Update returns and says that the update has been
> :: installed successfully.
> ::
> :: I run Windows Update again and the same KB969615 keep showing saying
> :: it needs to be installed.
> ::
> :: I am puzzled of how to fix this problem since this machine is
> :: spinning circles now.
> :: What are potential issues and how can I go about fixing them? (FYI: A
> :: different KP update for Windows just installed fine a few secs ago
> :: and disappeared from the to be updated list.)
> ::
> :: Thank you so much for any tips!
> :: Wolfgang
>

> It's probably lost the installation files from the original installation of
> the viewer.
>
> Suggest uninstalling MS Powerpoint Viewer 2003, grab another copy and
> install it and run WU again.

> or if you prefer grab the 2007 MS Powerpoint viewer
>
> The problem usually occurs when the update can't find the source, which no
> doubt would have been deleted after installation a long time ago.
>
> HTH

IF the update is failing due to the original installation file being
missing, the Application event log will show an Error for Source -
MsiInstaller that includes the 1603 error code and look something like this:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: MsiInstaller
Event Category: None
Event ID: 1023
Date: 7/12/2006
Time: 1:49:08 PM
User: C4DFF7AF7CA\User
Computer: C4DFF7AF7CA
Product: Microsoft Office Excel Viewer 2003 - Update 'Security Update
for Excel Viewer 2003 (KB918425): XLVIEW' could not be installed. Error
code 1603. Additional information is available in the log file
D:\DOCUME~1\MOWGRE~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\OHotfix\OHotfix (00001)_Msi.log.

To acces the Applicatin Event log, *right* click My Computer either on
the Desktop or on the Start Menu and choose 'Manage'.
Expand System Tools [ click the plus sign next to it ]
Expand Event Viewer.

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten