various problems

Boyd

various problems
1st issue is automatic update is in off mode can not install current updates
nor receive any. 2nd issue, when I turn on my pc get ( can not find server).
I then go into my control panel select internet connections, lan setting and
uncheck my proxy server. Is there any one that can PLEASE HELP ME with this?
I need to be able to access my internet without doing everytime I open my pc.
I have (Microsoft Windows XP Media ctr edition 2005, Compaq Presario. I have
Avanquest virus/spyware installed. my firewall stays on and virus but
automatic update is off.
Thank you for your time and patience with me.

Re: various problems
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

Boyd wrote:
> 1st issue is automatic update is in off mode can not install current
> updates
> nor receive any. 2nd issue, when I turn on my pc get ( can not find
> server).
> I then go into my control panel select internet connections, lan setting
> and
> uncheck my proxy server. Is there any one that can PLEASE HELP ME with
> this?
> I need to be able to access my internet without doing everytime I open my
> pc. I have (Microsoft Windows XP Media ctr edition 2005, Compaq Presario.
> have Avanquest virus/spyware installed. my firewall stays on and virus but
> automatic update is off.
> Thank you for your time and patience with me.

Shenan Stanley

Re: various problems
Boyd wrote:
> 1st issue is automatic update is in off mode can not install
> current updates nor receive any. 2nd issue, when I turn on my pc
> get ( can not find server). I then go into my control panel select
> internet connections, lan setting and uncheck my proxy server. Is
> there any one that can PLEASE HELP ME with this? I need to be able
> to access my internet without doing everytime I open my pc. I have
> (Microsoft Windows XP Media ctr edition 2005, Compaq Presario. I
> have Avanquest virus/spyware installed. my firewall stays on and
> virus but automatic update is off.

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

** If it seemed to have failed, do this: **

Check the status of these two services:
- Automatic Updates
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In the list of
services, find those two, right click on them one at a time and choose
properties. In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to?

Report that here.

Then:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Boyd

Re: various problems
Thanks for getting back to me with this info. I have gotten help from
Microsoft support and everything has been erased and clean up virus/spyware
from my pc. Everything is working except my automatic update is still
off/shaded gray. I will be checking back with the support group for this bit
of info, but if you have any suggestions pls feel free to tell me. once again
guys thank you for your HELP.