Error 80070002

Dave_H

Error 80070002
Vista SP2 32-bit.
Windows update has suddenly gone from 'all products' to 'Windows only'.
Clicking on the 'get for all products' starts the Microsoft Update process,
which then terminates with the above error on accepting the licence.
I've stopped the update service, deleted files and restarted. No difference.

All suggestions gratefully received.

Dave

Re: Error 80070002
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

Dave_H wrote:
> Vista SP2 32-bit.
> Windows update has suddenly gone from 'all products' to 'Windows only'.
> Clicking on the 'get for all products' starts the Microsoft Update
> process,
> which then terminates with the above error on accepting the licence.
> I've stopped the update service, deleted files and restarted. No
> difference.
>
> All suggestions gratefully received.
>
> Dave

Dave_H

Re: Error 80070002
Downloaded and run MSRT to completion. Nothing reported.
Followed other suggestions. No help.
Both firewall and AV are complete and up-to-date. No compatibility issues.
The machine was recently rebuilt from a known good disc image. No issues
there.
Also tried downloading the manual version of the Windows Update checker.
When run, it reported that it isn't the right version for my system -- even
though it is!!

Back to the drawing board.

Dave

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
> infection!
>
> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had
> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has
> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!

> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>
> 2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan
> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>
> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> **Seek expert assistance in
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> or other appropriate forums.**
>
> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
>
> =====================
>
> Support for Windows Update:

> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> Dave_H wrote:
> > Vista SP2 32-bit.
> > Windows update has suddenly gone from 'all products' to 'Windows only'.
> > Clicking on the 'get for all products' starts the Microsoft Update
> > process,
> > which then terminates with the above error on accepting the licence.
> > I've stopped the update service, deleted files and restarted. No
> > difference.
> >
> > All suggestions gratefully received.
> >
> > Dave

Re: Error 80070002
80070002 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
The authentication method is not supported

See #3 in my first post: Please post a link to the forum thread where you
posted for expert assistance.

> Also tried downloading the manual version of the Windows Update checker.
> When run, it reported that it isn't the right version for my system --
> even
> though it is!!

No, it's not. You don't run Windows Update manually that way in Vista. See
this tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial140.html

QED: Did this problem only start after you'd installed SP2?

Dave_H wrote:
> Downloaded and run MSRT to completion. Nothing reported.
> Followed other suggestions. No help.
> Both firewall and AV are complete and up-to-date. No compatibility issues.
> The machine was recently rebuilt from a known good disc image. No issues
> there.
> Also tried downloading the manual version of the Windows Update checker.
> When run, it reported that it isn't the right version for my system --
> even
> though it is!!
>
> Back to the drawing board.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a
>> hijackware
>> infection!
>>
>> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription
>> had
>> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription
>> has
>> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
>> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
>> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!
>>
>> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>
>> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
>> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
>> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>>
>> 2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection'
>> scan
>> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>
>> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
>> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>>
>> **Seek expert assistance in
>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**
>>
>> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>>
>> =====================
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:

>> in
>> with
>> security updates.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> Dave_H wrote:
>>> Vista SP2 32-bit.
>>> Windows update has suddenly gone from 'all products' to 'Windows only'.
>>> Clicking on the 'get for all products' starts the Microsoft Update
>>> process,
>>> which then terminates with the above error on accepting the licence.
>>> I've stopped the update service, deleted files and restarted. No
>>> difference.

Dave_H

Re: Error 80070002

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> 80070002 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND
> The authentication method is not supported
>
> See #3 in my first post: Please post a link to the forum thread where you
> posted for expert assistance.

Why would I do this? I've been working with computers since 1978.

> > Also tried downloading the manual version of the Windows Update checker.
> > When run, it reported that it isn't the right version for my system --
> > even
> > though it is!!

> No, it's not. You don't run Windows Update manually that way in Vista. See
> this tutorial: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tuto...torial140.html

The item is catalogued as for Vista 32-bit. Your own knowledge base
recommended that I do this - right after suggesting that I delete my update
history files.

> QED: Did this problem only start after you'd installed SP2?

It started after I'd rebuilt the machine from the image. SP2 and IE8 were
already installed when the image was taken. Update performed perfectly up to
that point.

> [...]
> >> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
> >> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
> >> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**
> >>
> >> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> >> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> >> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
> >>
> >> =====================
> >> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> >> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
> >>
> >> Support for Windows Update:
> >> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
> >>
> >> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
> >> in
> >> the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> >> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated

Re: Error 80070002
Then you certainly don't need my help. Good luck.