A host of update problems

galeforce

A host of update problems

I have a few issues, 1: windows can't search for updates, 2: I can even
open media player or medai center, 3 SP# will not install, 4 well you
get the gist of things, whats wrong with my Gateway model MT6707?

--
galeforce

Shenan Stanley

Re: A host of update problems
galeforce wrote:
> I have a few issues, 1: windows can't search for updates, 2: I can
> even open media player or medai center, 3 SP# will not install, 4
> well you get the gist of things, whats wrong with my Gateway model
> MT6707?

I would have a have a few issues helping you...

1) What operating system do you have (be complete in your answer)?
2) What AntiVirus solution do you use and do you keep it updated?
3) What antimalware applications have you performed full scans with?
4) What do your system backups look like - up to date?
5) Do you have your original installation media?

Now I can *assume* you have Windows XP because you mis-typed "SP3" to be
"SP#" (SHIFT + 3 = #) and Windows Vista is only up to SP2. Of course - I
would also be assuming you mean "SP3 for Windows XP" and not for some other
product you might have installed.

If it is Windows XP - 32 bit of some flavor (Home, Professional, Media
Center, Tablet PC, etc) - then I suggest the following:

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

** If it seemed to have failed, do this: **

Check the status of these two services:
- Automatic Updates
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In the list of
services, find those two, right click on them one at a time and choose
properties. In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to?

Report that here.

Then:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: A host of update problems
There is a very good chance that you are seeing the effects of a hijackware
infection!

logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm

**Seek expert assistance in
or other appropriate forums.**

=====================

Support for Windows Update:

security updates.

galeforce wrote:
> I have a few issues, 1: windows can't search for updates, 2: I can even
> open media player or medai center, 3 SP# will not install, 4 well you
> get the gist of things, whats wrong with my Gateway model MT6707?

galeforce

Re: A host of update problems

Sorry I was in a hurry when i posted the thread, I do run Vista, My
McAfee was just updated two weeks ago, I had to wait a paycheck 12 days
to do so, I have all the original software that came with the computer,
I have malwarebytes Anti malware. I am thinking that the IT guy at my
job who had to do something to get me on the wifi system did something
to my computer cause a few others are complaining about the same thing.
Of course he got fired two weeks after he did whatever to my laptop.

--
galeforce

Re: A host of update problems
All the more reason to "wipe & reload."