error code 0x80040509 - Please help

tcb1000

error code 0x80040509 - Please help
After installing sp3 and rebooting, windows tells me "the product key is not
valid for this media type. please use the correct installation cd to
reinstall windows. error code 0x80040509." Please help thankyou

Re: error code 0x80040509 - Please help
Windows XP SP3? Office 2003 SP3?...

Did you recently have occasion to reinstall the application in question? If
so, why?

tcb1000 wrote:
> After installing sp3 and rebooting, windows tells me "the product key is
> not
> valid for this media type. please use the correct installation cd to
> reinstall windows. error code 0x80040509." Please help thankyou

tcb1000

Re: error code 0x80040509 - Please help
i did an update and it wanted to install sp3. after rebooting it gave me the
error code and told me to reinstall windows. then it worked fine untill i
installed sp3 again and gave me the same error code.
thankyou

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Windows XP SP3? Office 2003 SP3?...
>
> Did you recently have occasion to reinstall the application in question? If
> so, why?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> tcb1000 wrote:
> > After installing sp3 and rebooting, windows tells me "the product key is
> > not
> > valid for this media type. please use the correct installation cd to
> > reinstall windows. error code 0x80040509." Please help thankyou

TaurArian

Re: error code 0x80040509 - Please help
Could this be relevant - ignore the sp2 reference
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326904/en-us

"tcb1000" wrote:

> i did an update and it wanted to install sp3. after rebooting it gave me the
> error code and told me to reinstall windows. then it worked fine untill i
> installed sp3 again and gave me the same error code.
> thankyou
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
> > Windows XP SP3? Office 2003 SP3?...
> >
> > Did you recently have occasion to reinstall the application in question? If
> > so, why?
> > --
> > ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> > MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
> >

> > tcb1000 wrote:
> > > After installing sp3 and rebooting, windows tells me "the product key is
> > > not
> > > valid for this media type. please use the correct installation cd to
> > > reinstall windows. error code 0x80040509." Please help thankyou

Re: error code 0x80040509 - Please help
Did you recently have occasion to reinstall WinXP?

Are you running WinXP, WinXP SP1, or WinXP SP2 now?

Did you try to /upgrade/ your anti-virus application or install a new one
and encountered a prompt telling you that SP3 had to be installed?

See TaurArian's reply (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/326904), then...

Follow this simple troubleshooting procedure, courtesy of MS MVP Carey
Frisch:

1. Download and install the WGA Diagnostic Tool
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=56062

2. After running the WGA Diagnostic Tool, click on the "Windows" tab and
then click on "Copy to Clipboard".

3. Next, visit the following website and create a post in the "WGA
Validation Problems" forum and paste the results of the WGA Diagnostic Data
in a detailed post:
http://social.microsoft.com/forums/e...owsxp/threads/

4. A WGA troubleshooting spe******t will analyze the data and recommend an
appropriate solution.