KB961503

Clark4

KB961503
This update keeps trying to install repeatedly. Have tried uninstalling and
reinstalling it. Tried typing in ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old,
didn't work. At my wits end.

Re: KB961503
[Crosspost to WLM newsgroup]

Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state the language version
(e.g., English-US).

What version of Windows Live Messenger is installed (click on Help > About)?

Do you ever have occasion to input characters in Windows Live Messenger
using a non-English Input Method Editor (IME)?

Clark4 wrote:
> This update keeps trying to install repeatedly. Have tried uninstalling
> and
> reinstalling it. Tried typing in ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll
> msxml4.old, didn't work. At my wits end.

Clark4

Re: KB961503
windows XP SP3 and windows live messenger in English

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> [Crosspost to WLM newsgroup]
>
> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup. In this case, also state the language version
> (e.g., English-US).
>
> What version of Windows Live Messenger is installed (click on Help > About)?
>
> Do you ever have occasion to input characters in Windows Live Messenger
> using a non-English Input Method Editor (IME)?
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Clark4 wrote:
> > This update keeps trying to install repeatedly. Have tried uninstalling
> > and
> > reinstalling it. Tried typing in ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll
> > msxml4.old, didn't work. At my wits end.

MowGreen

Re: KB961503
Clark4 wrote:

> This update keeps trying to install repeatedly. Have tried uninstalling and
> reinstalling it. Tried typing in ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old,
> didn't work. At my wits end.

KB961503 has *nothing* to do with msxml4.dll so, renaming the .dll will
have no effect on the update's installation or lack thereof.

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============
ANONYMOUS

Re: KB961503
Reboot your system in safe mode. then go this folder:

C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution

Delete everything in that folder.

Now reboot your system normally and the problem is gone!!

Let us know if this worked.

Clark4 wrote:

>This update keeps trying to install repeatedly. Have tried uninstalling and
>reinstalling it. Tried typing in ren %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old,
>didn't work. At my wits end.

MowGreen

Re: KB961503
Why do you *assume* that the installation issue is being caused by
something that's amiss in SoftwareDistribution ?

You forgot to mention that the deleting the contents of
SoftwareDistribution will delete the update history shown on the MU and
WU update sites, the subfolders of SD will have to be repopulated, and
there's a good chance that CPU cycles will be hogged by svchost during
that process.

Most update installation issues are *directly* related to 3rd party
software ... and the cause of corruption in SoftwareDistribution is 3rd
party software. That includes security software *and* malware.

For a reference point, see this:

Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Vista
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

ANONYMOUS wrote:

> Reboot your system in safe mode. then go this folder:
>
> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution
>
> Delete everything in that folder.
>
> Now reboot your system normally and the problem is gone!!
>
> Let us know if this worked.
>

> Clark4 wrote:
>
>> This update keeps trying to install repeatedly. Have tried
>> uninstalling and reinstalling it. Tried typing in ren
>> %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old, didn't work. At my wits end.

ANONYMOUS

Re: KB961503

I don't assume anything. I know it. The update history is of no
relevance here because it gets recreated as soon as you boot up
normally. Also, the system will try to log on to Microsoft's update
server and download *any* updates that are required by the host system.
You will NOT get any updates that are already installed on the system.
There is absolutely no danger what-so-ever in deleting the contents of
the SoftwareDistribution folder.

The folder in question is corrupted and now needs to be recreated.

hope this helps.

..

MowGreen wrote:

> Why do you *assume* that the installation issue is being caused by
> something that's amiss in SoftwareDistribution ?
>
> You forgot to mention that the deleting the contents of
> SoftwareDistribution will delete the update history shown on the MU
> and WU update sites, the subfolders of SD will have to be repopulated,
> and there's a good chance that CPU cycles will be hogged by svchost
> during that process.
>

> Most update installation issues are *directly* related to 3rd party
> software ... and the cause of corruption in SoftwareDistribution is
> 3rd party software. That includes security software *and* malware.
>
> For a reference point, see this:
>
> Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
> Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows
> Vista
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
>

> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> ANONYMOUS wrote:
>
>> Reboot your system in safe mode. then go this folder:
>>
>> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution
>>
>> Delete everything in that folder.
>>
>> Now reboot your system normally and the problem is gone!!
>>
>> Let us know if this worked.
>>

>> Clark4 wrote:
>>
>>> This update keeps trying to install repeatedly. Have tried
>>> uninstalling and reinstalling it. Tried typing in ren
>>> %windir%\System32\msxml4.dll msxml4.old, didn't work. At my wits end.

Clark4

Re: KB961503
Thanks, deleting that file worked. Ran the update again and all are caught up.

"ANONYMOUS" wrote:

> I don't assume anything. I know it. The update history is of no
> relevance here because it gets recreated as soon as you boot up
> normally. Also, the system will try to log on to Microsoft's update
> server and download *any* updates that are required by the host system.
> You will NOT get any updates that are already installed on the system.
> There is absolutely no danger what-so-ever in deleting the contents of
> the SoftwareDistribution folder.
>
> The folder in question is corrupted and now needs to be recreated.
>
> hope this helps.
>
> ..
>

> MowGreen wrote:
>
> > Why do you *assume* that the installation issue is being caused by
> > something that's amiss in SoftwareDistribution ?
> >
> > You forgot to mention that the deleting the contents of
> > SoftwareDistribution will delete the update history shown on the MU
> > and WU update sites, the subfolders of SD will have to be repopulated,
> > and there's a good chance that CPU cycles will be hogged by svchost
> > during that process.
> >

> > Most update installation issues are *directly* related to 3rd party
> > software ... and the cause of corruption in SoftwareDistribution is
> > 3rd party software. That includes security software *and* malware.
> >
> > For a reference point, see this:
> >
> > Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
> > Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows
> > Vista
> > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
> >

> > MowGreen
> > ===============
> > *-343-* FDNY
> > Never Forgotten
> > ===============
> >

> > ANONYMOUS wrote:
> >
> >> Reboot your system in safe mode. then go this folder:
> >>
> >> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution
> >>
> >> Delete everything in that folder.
> >>
> >> Now reboot your system normally and the problem is gone!!

MowGreen

Re: KB961503
> I don't assume anything. I know it.
> The update history is of no relevance here because it gets recreated as soon as you boot up
> normally.

Those are ridiculous and *wrong* statements. Either you have
extraordinary psychic powers, which is doubtful, or you are just
another internet psycho.
The update history is contained in DataStore.edb and although the file
will be recreated, the history * can not * be stored in that file as it
did not exist when previous updates were done.

MowGreen
==============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

ANONYMOUS wrote:

> I don't assume anything. I know it. The update history is of no
> relevance here because it gets recreated as soon as you boot up
> normally. Also, the system will try to log on to Microsoft's update
> server and download *any* updates that are required by the host system.
> You will NOT get any updates that are already installed on the system.
> There is absolutely no danger what-so-ever in deleting the contents of
> the SoftwareDistribution folder.
>
> The folder in question is corrupted and now needs to be recreated.
>
> hope this helps.
>
> .
>

> MowGreen wrote:
>
>> Why do you *assume* that the installation issue is being caused by
>> something that's amiss in SoftwareDistribution ?
>>
>> You forgot to mention that the deleting the contents of
>> SoftwareDistribution will delete the update history shown on the MU
>> and WU update sites, the subfolders of SD will have to be repopulated,
>> and there's a good chance that CPU cycles will be hogged by svchost
>> during that process.
>>

>> Most update installation issues are *directly* related to 3rd party
>> software ... and the cause of corruption in SoftwareDistribution is
>> 3rd party software. That includes security software *and* malware.
>>
>> For a reference point, see this:
>>
>> Virus scanning recommendations for computers that are running Windows
>> Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows
>> Vista
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822158
>>

>> MowGreen
>> ===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>> Never Forgotten
>> ===============
>>

>> ANONYMOUS wrote:
>>
>>> Reboot your system in safe mode. then go this folder:
>>>
>>> C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution
>>>
>>> Delete everything in that folder.
>>>
>>> Now reboot your system normally and the problem is gone!!

ANONYMOUS

Re: KB961503
Thanks for giving us the feedback. I an glad to be of help here and I
hope this solution will help other users in similar situation.

Best regards,