Windows XP Media Centre & Windows Media Player 11

Mac

Windows XP Media Centre & Windows Media Player 11
I have been uable to run automatic updates or manual installations for
Windows XP Media Center and Windows Media Player 11. Each time I try to run
them I receive a message saying that they have failed. Could anyone explain
why this is happening and how I can fix the problem and update my softwear.
--
the oldest newbie in town.
TaurArian

RE: Windows XP Media Centre & Windows Media Player 11
Hi Mac, we need a bit more information -

Please have a look at this article: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602
Scroll to: How to identify the specific handler
Then post back with some more information like error codes etc that may be
in the windowsupdate.log

Thank you.

"Mac" wrote:

> I have been uable to run automatic updates or manual installations for
> Windows XP Media Center and Windows Media Player 11. Each time I try to run
> them I receive a message saying that they have failed. Could anyone explain
> why this is happening and how I can fix the problem and update my softwear.
> --
> the oldest newbie in town.

Re: Windows XP Media Centre & Windows Media Player 11
How to troubleshoot Windows Update, Microsoft Update, and Windows Server
Update Services installation issues
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/906602

1. See the "Need more help? Tell us what problem you are having" section of
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/6527

2. You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798

3a. Check your WindowsUpdate.log (%windir%\WindowsUpdate.log) for errors
associated with the download/install.

How to read the WindowsUpdate.log file
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

3b. Compare errors to those listed here:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/blog...showentry=1122
and/or go to http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com > click on Help and Support
link in left pane > Solve problems on your own.

================

How do I reset the Windows Update settings?
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

================

Support for Windows Update:

WMP-specific newsgroup: microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player

Mac wrote:
> I have been uable to run automatic updates or manual installations for
> Windows XP Media Center and Windows Media Player 11. Each time I try to
> run
> them I receive a message saying that they have failed. Could anyone
> explain
> why this is happening and how I can fix the problem and update my
> softwear.

PA BEAR