Windows update balloon tips disappeared

bm

Windows update balloon tips disappeared

Since 5 months, I don't get/see the "balloon tips" that says "new
updates are ready for your computer. And after it says: Click here
to install these updates (see Screenshot #1). Now I get only the
offer to install windows updates when I'm tuning off windows xp
(see Screenshot #2), but in this case I can't see which
updates will be installed on my system. Have you idea how to
launch/invoke/start manually the service or program
that show-up that balloon tips? I mean which that is in the Screenshot
#1. I tried to use "WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce", but not
results. I don't use WSUS, it is just a normal Windows xp Professional
OEM client. I tried to reinstall the OS (Windows XP SP3) with no
luck.
In more the same scenario it is happening in another my notebook that
has windows hp home sp3 (hp sticker licence ).
So, I imagine that Microsoft has changed some parameters/rules or
maybe Microsoft don’t want that users are independent to choose!
In more, I tried all possible combinations in windows update setting
but nothing happens. I use the setting in the “Screenshot #3”, Can
you give me some suggestion please, Thank You in advance, Andrea

Screenshot #1: http://www.tesoriati-informatica.it/...creenshot1.htm
Screenshot #2: http://www.tesoriati-informatica.it/...creenshot2.htm
Screenshot #3: http://www.tesoriati-informatica.it/...creenshot3.htm

Re: Windows update balloon tips disappeared
Please state your current, full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

> I tried to reinstall the OS (Windows XP SP3) with no luck.

You couldn't reinstall WinSP (SP3) or doing so didn't help?

Is Automatic Updates set to the "Download but Notify" or the "Notify Only"
setting?

See if any of these threads explain what you've been seeing:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...72b6f0cc5a10c7

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...1e713b81542e59

QED: Can you install all offered updates via
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com? Can you even reach that page?

On Jun 2, 1:58*am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please state your current, full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP2) when
> posting to this newsgroup.

[CUT]

> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > Screenshot #1:http://www.tesoriati-informatica.it/...creenshot1.htm
> > Screenshot #2:http://www.tesoriati-informatica.it/...creenshot2.htm
> > Screenshot #3:http://www.tesoriati-informatica.it/...creenshot3.htm
> > --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My desktop pc it is a windows xp professional oem italian sp3. It is a
fresh install. My updates configurations it is exactly like the
Screenshot #3. I don't understand why to reinstall the sp3 seen that
this scenario it is happening to many windows xp. probably there is
need to modify something in the registry or better a microsoft fix.
Thanx for your interest, Andrea
TaurArian

RE: Windows update balloon tips disappeared
The updates that have automatically completed downloading will install upon
shutting down. The other updates will come through eventually. When completed
you will be notified to install upon shutdown or if you're lucky the yellow
shield will appear again. From what I understand the yellow shield doesn't
appear again until all updates have completed downloading thus if you
shutdown too soon, you'll be offered updates at shutdown to install which had
previously completed downloading.

If you want to check what has downloaded, manually use the Windows Update
page and scan. The 0% download ones are the ones that have so far downloaded
or you could check the windowsupdate.log for more information.

Some updates may need to be installed first before allowing other updates to
download and install.

If you want more control, set it to "notify only".

So what do you do, install updates at shutdown.

"bm" wrote:

> Since 5 months, I don't get/see the "balloon tips" that says "new
> updates are ready for your computer. And after it says: Click here
> to install these updates (see Screenshot #1). Now I get only the
> offer to install windows updates when I'm tuning off windows xp
> (see Screenshot #2), but in this case I can't see which
> updates will be installed on my system. Have you idea how to
> launch/invoke/start manually the service or program
> that show-up that balloon tips? I mean which that is in the Screenshot
> #1. I tried to use "WindowsUpdateAgent30-x86.exe /wuforce", but not
> results. I don't use WSUS, it is just a normal Windows xp Professional
> OEM client. I tried to reinstall the OS (Windows XP SP3) with no
> luck.
> In more the same scenario it is happening in another my notebook that
> has windows hp home sp3 (hp sticker licence ).
> So, I imagine that Microsoft has changed some parameters/rules or
> maybe Microsoft don’t want that users are independent to choose!
> In more, I tried all possible combinations in windows update setting
> but nothing happens. I use the setting in the “Screenshot #3”, Can
> you give me some suggestion please, Thank You in advance, Andrea

> Screenshot #1: http://www.tesoriati-informatica.it/...creenshot1.htm
> Screenshot #2: http://www.tesoriati-informatica.it/...creenshot2.htm
> Screenshot #3: http://www.tesoriati-informatica.it/...creenshot3.htm

Re: Windows update balloon tips disappeared
Few of us will click on any such links, bm.

On Jun 2, 7:32*am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Few of us will click on any such links, bm.
>
> bm wrote:
> > On Jun 2, 1:58 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Please state your current, full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP2) when
> >> posting to this newsgroup.

> > [CUT]

> > My desktop pc it is a windows xp professional oem italian sp3. It is a
> > fresh install. My updates configurations it is exactly like the
> > Screenshot #3. I don't understand why to reinstall the sp3 seen that
> > this scenario it is happening to many windows xp. probably there is
> > need to modify something in the registry or better a microsoft fix.
> > Thanx for your interest, Andrea

Sorry, iI can't understood, my english it's terrible, sorry again. Can
you explain in a different way? Thanx
Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]

bm wrote:

> On Jun 2, 7:32 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Few of us will click on any such links, bm.
>>
>> bm wrote:
>>> [CUT]

>>> My desktop pc it is a windows xp professional oem italian sp3. It is a
>>> fresh install. My updates configurations it is exactly like the
>>> Screenshot #3. I don't understand why to reinstall the sp3 seen that
>>> this scenario it is happening to many windows xp. probably there is
>>> need to modify something in the registry or better a microsoft fix.
>>> Thanx for your interest, Andrea

> Sorry, iI can't understood, my english it's terrible, sorry again. Can
> you explain in a different way? Thanx

Il mio esimio collega ti sta dicendo che č improbabile che chi risponde qui
faccia click sui link che hai postato, per motivi di sicurezza. Se mastichi
poco l'inglese c'č il newsgroup per Windows Update in lingua italiana:
Via Web:
http://www.microsoft.com/italy/commu....windowsupdate
Via Newsreader (Microsoft NNTP server):

Cheers,

--
Vincenzo Di Russo

bm

Re: Windows update balloon tips disappeared
On Jun 2, 5:23*pm, "Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" <enzodiru...@xoom.it>
wrote:
> bm wrote:
> > On Jun 2, 7:32 am, "PA Bear [MS MVP]" <PABear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >> Few of us will click on any such links, bm.

[CUT]

Thank you to Vincenzo for the translation.

To "PA Bear [MS MVP]": What is the best place to link images w/o be
afraid about security risks?

If there are, I will migrate all my screenshots there.

Thank You in advance

bm

On Jun 2, 8:50*pm, bm <bmrp...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jun 2, 5:23*pm, "Vincenzo Di Russo [MVP]" <enzodiru...@xoom.it>
> wrote:> bm wrote:

> [CUT]
>
> Thank you to Vincenzo for the translation.
>
> To "PA Bear [MS MVP]": What is the best place to link images w/o be
> afraid about security risks?
>
> If there are, I will migrate all my screenshots there.
>
> Thank You in advance

Skiping my english, how it is possible that so many MVP don't know
what exactly is the service or executable file that launch/invoke/
start manually the famous pop up/balloon tips that says: "updates are
ready for your computer click here to install these updates". I hope
that you don't answer because like keep secrets, oterways, if the
reason is that you have not idea about this question and finding you
don get right infos, I am very disappointed. Andrea
bm

Re: Windows update balloon tips disappeared

In more, this is a global problem. Googling for this problem there are
1,5 milion of pages that speak about this. If this is not a large
problem...

Have a look here:

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete...fp=TGAsvASC6d8
http://www.google.com/webhp?complete...fp=TGAsvASC6d8