Refuses to enable update

bilm

Refuses to enable update
I've never had any problem with the update site before. It's always worked.
Just last week I installed IE8.
Now updates don't work.

I get "The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows
services is not running:
Automatic Updates
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
Event Log"

Wrong on all counts. All these services are running and are set to run
automatically.

I'm on a 56k moden so I do not enable updates to download & install
automatically and I never have. Has MS cahnged their policy yet again ?

What now ? How do I get my updates ?

Bill Mudd

Re: Refuses to enable update
Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2) when
posting to this newsgroup.

Does the behavior persist if you uninstall IE8?

How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700

bilm wrote:
> I've never had any problem with the update site before. It's always
> worked.
> Just last week I installed IE8.
> Now updates don't work.
>
> I get "The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows
> services is not running:
> Automatic Updates
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
> Event Log"
>
> Wrong on all counts. All these services are running and are set to run
> automatically.
>
> I'm on a 56k moden so I do not enable updates to download & install
> automatically and I never have. Has MS cahnged their policy yet again ?
>
> What now ? How do I get my updates ?
>
> Bill Mudd

TaurArian

RE: Refuses to enable update
Hi there, after installing IE8 I had to reboot the computer twice and I also
had to reboot the modem before Windows Update worked properly for my old
WinXP SP3 computer.

Just a thought.

"bilm" wrote:

> I've never had any problem with the update site before. It's always worked.
> Just last week I installed IE8.
> Now updates don't work.
>
> I get "The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows
> services is not running:
> Automatic Updates
> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
> Event Log"
>
> Wrong on all counts. All these services are running and are set to run
> automatically.
>
> I'm on a 56k moden so I do not enable updates to download & install
> automatically and I never have. Has MS cahnged their policy yet again ?
>
> What now ? How do I get my updates ?
>
> Bill Mudd

bilm

Re: Refuses to enable update

I have XP Home Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600

Uninstalling IE8 seems fairly drastic.
Has IE8 been reported to cause this problem ?

> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
> when posting to this newsgroup.
>
> Does the behavior persist if you uninstall IE8?
>
> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>
> bilm wrote:
>> I've never had any problem with the update site before. It's always
>> worked.
>> Just last week I installed IE8.
>> Now updates don't work.
>>
>> I get "The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows
>> services is not running:
>> Automatic Updates
>> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
>> Event Log"
>>
>> Wrong on all counts. All these services are running and are set to run
>> automatically.
>>
>> I'm on a 56k moden so I do not enable updates to download & install
>> automatically and I never have. Has MS cahnged their policy yet again ?
>>
>> What now ? How do I get my updates ?
>>
>> Bill Mudd

Re: Refuses to enable update
> Uninstalling IE8 seems fairly drastic.

You said the problem started after you'd installed IE8 so the logical first
troubleshooting step would be to uninstall IE8 and see if the behavior
persists in your previous IE version.

> Has IE8 been reported to cause this problem ?

No, not if it was installed properly.

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
install it.

bilm wrote:
> I have XP Home Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
>
> Uninstalling IE8 seems fairly drastic.
> Has IE8 been reported to cause this problem ?
>
> PA Bear wrote:
>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>
>> Does the behavior persist if you uninstall IE8?
>>
>> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>
>> bilm wrote:
>>> I've never had any problem with the update site before. It's always
>>> worked.
>>> Just last week I installed IE8.
>>> Now updates don't work.
>>>
>>> I get "The site cannot continue because one or more of these Windows
>>> services is not running:
>>> Automatic Updates
>>> Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS)
>>> Event Log"
>>>
>>> Wrong on all counts. All these services are running and are set to run
>>> automatically.
>>>
>>> I'm on a 56k moden so I do not enable updates to download & install
>>> automatically and I never have. Has MS cahnged their policy yet again ?
>>>
>>> What now ? How do I get my updates ?
>>>
>>> Bill Mudd

bilm

Re: Refuses to enable update

Thank you for all the information & your recommendations.

Bill

>> Uninstalling IE8 seems fairly drastic.

> You said the problem started after you'd installed IE8 so the logical
> first troubleshooting step would be to uninstall IE8 and see if the
> behavior persists in your previous IE version.
>
>> Has IE8 been reported to cause this problem ?

> No, not if it was installed properly.
>
> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31 December
> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
> non-domain environment.
> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
> => Other locales:
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>
> My personal recommendations include:
>
> => Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
>
> => Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
> and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.
>
> => Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
> installing or uninstalling IE8.
>
> => I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and
> any anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than
> Defender's) before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're
> running a third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then
> enabling the Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE
> upgrade.
>
> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
> System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior
> to reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to
> see http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]
>
> => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.
>
> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
> application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
> third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
> install it.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> bilm wrote:
>> I have XP Home Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
>>
>> Uninstalling IE8 seems fairly drastic.
>> Has IE8 been reported to cause this problem ?
>>
>> PA Bear wrote:
>>> Please state your full Windows version (e.g., WinXP SP3; Vista x64 SP2)
>>> when posting to this newsgroup.
>>>
>>> Does the behavior persist if you uninstall IE8?
>>>
>>> How to uninstall or remove Internet Explorer 8
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

Re: Refuses to enable update
YW, Bill & best of luck.

bilm wrote:
> Thank you for all the information & your recommendations.
>
> Bill
>
>>> Uninstalling IE8 seems fairly drastic.

>> You said the problem started after you'd installed IE8 so the logical
>> first troubleshooting step would be to uninstall IE8 and see if the
>> behavior persists in your previous IE version.
>>
>>> Has IE8 been reported to cause this problem ?

>> No, not if it was installed properly.
>>
>> No-charge support for Internet Explorer 8 installation, set-up and usage
>> (only) is available via the phone based on your locale through 31
>> December
>> 2009. Customers must be running Windows XP or Windows Vista in a
>> non-domain environment.
>> => US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
>> => Other locales:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043
>>
>> My personal recommendations include:
>>
>> => Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!! =>
>> http://www.microsoft.com/windows/int...ide-sites.aspx
>>
>> => Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
>> and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.
>>
>> => Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon)
>> before
>> installing or uninstalling IE8.
>>
>> => I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and
>> any anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than
>> Defender's) before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're
>> running a third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then
>> enabling the Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE
>> upgrade.
>>
>> => Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
>> System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior
>> to reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to
>> see http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]
>>
>> => Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.
>>
>> => For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
>> application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and
>> your
>> third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you
>> decide
>> install it.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> bilm wrote:
>>> I have XP Home Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600
>>>
>>> Uninstalling IE8 seems fairly drastic.
>>> Has IE8 been reported to cause this problem ?

bilm

Re: Refuses to enable update
I just wanted to follow up. I uninstalled the IE8 I got off the update site,
downloaded the version off MS's IE8 site and installed it all per PA Bear's
instructions. And I'm glad I did but it didn't solve the original problem.

I have to admit I did not carefull read the instructions. I just saw the
list of services that they said were not running and I knew they were
running and that's as far as I read. But If you read very carefully it
says to set Automatic Updates & Event Log to Automatic but set
Background Intelligent Transfer Service (BITS) to Manual.
I had it set to automatic like the other 2 services and, believe it or not,
that's why the MS Update site wasn't working ... at least for me
on my system.

Bill Mudd