Best way to install Vista SP2??

ELW

Best way to install Vista SP2??
Sorry if this is redundant. I have a fairly slow broadband connection (1
mbps) but barely good enough for downloading Vista SP2. However,
considering efficiency and reliability, would I be better off downloading
the standalone installer (using another faster connection elsewhere) and
bringing the download on a flash drive to my computer?

Is this standalone installer much bigger, containing irrelevant stuff, than
what Windows Update would eventually supply me with (since I'm current with
all previous updates)?

Thanks.

EW

Re: Best way to install Vista SP2??
If you're having problems installing SP2 *via Windows Update*, you can also
post about your problems here instead:
http://social.answers.microsoft.com/...stawu/threads/

Please post any other Vista SP2-related questions in a Vista-specific
newsgroup (e.g., Vista General) or either of these 2 forums:
http://www.answers.microsoft.com/windows;
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...stasp/threads/

Installation Tips:

• Your computer will restart several times during the installation process:
Make certain you've saved your work and closed all open applications before
beginning the install.

• Disable (1) your anti-virus application, (2) any real-time system
protections afforded by any anti-spyware applications (except Defender), &
(3) your third-party firewall (if any) and then (4) enable the Windows
Firewall before installing or uninstalling Vista SP2.

• The installation process can take an hour or more: If you're installing
SP2 on a portable computer, make sure that you plug-in the power cord and
have the battery inserted into its bay.

• Vista SP1 is a prerequisite for installing SP2. If you use Windows Update
or the Automatic Update feature in Windows Vista, you will not be offered
the option to install SP2 until you first install SP1.

How to obtain the latest Windows Vista service pack:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/935791/

Good luck!

ELW wrote:
> Sorry if this is redundant. I have a fairly slow broadband connection (1
> mbps) but barely good enough for downloading Vista SP2. However,
> considering efficiency and reliability, would I be better off downloading
> the standalone installer (using another faster connection elsewhere) and
> bringing the download on a flash drive to my computer?
>
> Is this standalone installer much bigger, containing irrelevant stuff,
> than
> what Windows Update would eventually supply me with (since I'm current
> with
> all previous updates)?
>
> Thanks.
>
> EW

ELW

> Please post any other Vista SP2-related questions in a Vista-specific
> newsgroup (e.g., Vista General) or either of these 2 forums:
> http://www.answers.microsoft.com/windows;
> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...stasp/threads/

Mr Dyer,
You're an appreciated and knowledgeable tech in these newsgroups. However,
it seems logical to ask an "update" question for a Windows product in the
"WindowsUpdate" group! Vista SP2 is an update, right?

I need a strong drink.

EW

Re: Best way to install Vista SP2??
If you're attempting to install SP2 via Windows Update & SP2 isn't being
offered or Windows Update simply isn't working, post here. Otherwise, you
should post in a Vista-specific newsgroup or forum.

ELW wrote:
>> Please post any other Vista SP2-related questions in a Vista-specific
>> newsgroup (e.g., Vista General) or either of these 2 forums:
>> http://www.answers.microsoft.com/windows;
>> http://social.technet.microsoft.com/...stasp/threads/
>>

> Mr Dyer,
> You're an appreciated and knowledgeable tech in these newsgroups.
> However,
> it seems logical to ask an "update" question for a Windows product in the
> "WindowsUpdate" group! Vista SP2 is an update, right?
>
> I need a strong drink.
>
> EW

TaurArian

ELW wrote:
:: Sorry if this is redundant. I have a fairly slow broadband
:: connection (1 mbps) but barely good enough for downloading Vista
:: SP2. However, considering efficiency and reliability, would I be
:: better off downloading the standalone installer (using another
:: faster connection elsewhere) and bringing the download on a flash
:: drive to my computer?
::
:: Is this standalone installer much bigger, containing irrelevant
:: stuff, than what Windows Update would eventually supply me with
:: (since I'm current with all previous updates)?
::
:: Thanks.
::
:: EW

There are two service packs for Windows Vista. Service Pack 1 (SP1) was
released in April 2008, and might already be installed on your PC (to find
out, click on the Start button and enter "winver" in the search box).
Service Pack 2 (SP2), available in May 2009, contains all the updates we've
released since SP1 plus support for new types of hardware and emerging
hardware standards. You should install both Service Packs, and you need to
install SP1 before SP2.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...ice-packs.aspx

Service Pack 2
http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/w.../dd767387.aspx

The full file downloads are much bigger whereas if you download via AU, you
only get what you need.

I updated the Vista laptop by downloading the full file and installing
offline with the antivirus turned off etc. and then I installed IE8.

As you see SP2 contains all the updates that were released since SP1, so by
downloading via AU you only get what you need, by downloading the full file
you have everything plus you have it if you want it for later if you require
it.

For Service Packs, I prefer to download the full file and then install
offline after preparing the system first.
--

TaurArian [MVP] 2005-2009 - Update Services
http://taurarian.mvps.org

Harry Johnston [MVP]

ELW wrote:

> Mr Dyer,
> You're an appreciated and knowledgeable tech in these newsgroups. However,
> it seems logical to ask an "update" question for a Windows product in the
> "WindowsUpdate" group! Vista SP2 is an update, right?

It sounds logical, except that Windows Update is the name of a specific
Microsoft technology. This group is about the technology called Windows Update,
not about updates for Windows. :-)

Harry.

Harry Johnston [MVP] wrote:
> ELW wrote:
>
>> Mr Dyer,
>> You're an appreciated and knowledgeable tech in these newsgroups.
>> However,
>> it seems logical to ask an "update" question for a Windows product in the
>> "WindowsUpdate" group! Vista SP2 is an update, right?

> It sounds logical, except that Windows Update is the name of a specific
> Microsoft technology. This group is about the technology called Windows
> Update, not about updates for Windows. :-)

....nor upgrading Windows.

Reminds me of the microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support newsgroup
which was intended to be about the "Help and Support" feature in Start menu.

Harry Johnston [MVP]

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:

>> It sounds logical, except that Windows Update is the name of a specific
>> Microsoft technology. This group is about the technology called Windows
>> Update, not about updates for Windows. :-)

> ...nor upgrading Windows.
>
> Reminds me of the microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support newsgroup
> which was intended to be about the "Help and Support" feature in Start
> menu.

Ouch!

Harry.