Re: XP Service Pack 2 in silent mode

CtA

Re: XP Service Pack 2 in silent mode

Hi,
I want to search print drivers in Windows Update, currently searcher returns
drivers for the deviecs connected to the system.
Is there a way to enumerate drivers in the windows update.

Thanks

Charels

Re: XP Service Pack 2 in silent mode
No (and you should have started a new thread).

CtA wrote:
> Hi,
> I want to search print drivers in Windows Update, currently searcher
> returns
> drivers for the deviecs connected to the system.
> Is there a way to enumerate drivers in the windows update.
>
> Thanks
>
> Charels

CtA

Re: XP Service Pack 2 in silent mode
Hi sorry about that.

In fact I thought about creating seperate thread, but later I felt guys
responded in the same thread could provide some light, since they have been
done similar work already.

Anyhow, your answer is NO, it won't allow to search a driver based on
hardware id unless the devnode for the device needs to be created in devtree.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> No (and you should have started a new thread).
>
> CtA wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I want to search print drivers in Windows Update, currently searcher
> > returns
> > drivers for the deviecs connected to the system.
> > Is there a way to enumerate drivers in the windows update.
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> > Charels

Re: XP Service Pack 2 in silent mode
It's pretty hard to fool Mother Nature and even harder to fool Windows
Update detection logic.

If you need a driver update, get it from the manufacturer's website, not
Windows Update, to preserve your sanity.

CtA wrote:
> Hi sorry about that.
>
> In fact I thought about creating seperate thread, but later I felt guys
> responded in the same thread could provide some light, since they have
> been
> done similar work already.
>
> Anyhow, your answer is NO, it won't allow to search a driver based on
> hardware id unless the devnode for the device needs to be created in
> devtree.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> No (and you should have started a new thread).
>>
>> CtA wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> I want to search print drivers in Windows Update, currently searcher
>>> returns
>>> drivers for the deviecs connected to the system.
>>> Is there a way to enumerate drivers in the windows update.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Charels

CtA

Re: XP Service Pack 2 in silent mode
OEMs are providing thier drivers thru WU (becuase of inBox driver size
limitation), so if normal user want to use a particular device (and if the
driver is in WU), he should able to search it and get it. That's how PnP
works, but in case of PnPX, I don't know why MSFT is putting the security
restriction.
Standard user should be able to download and install the driver without
administrator privilege.
Also I don't know why WUA is not allowing to enumerate drivers available in
WU?
Is it because it could slowdown WU server performence?

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> It's pretty hard to fool Mother Nature and even harder to fool Windows
> Update detection logic.
>
> If you need a driver update, get it from the manufacturer's website, not
> Windows Update, to preserve your sanity.
>

> CtA wrote:
> > Hi sorry about that.
> >
> > In fact I thought about creating seperate thread, but later I felt guys
> > responded in the same thread could provide some light, since they have
> > been
> > done similar work already.
> >
> > Anyhow, your answer is NO, it won't allow to search a driver based on
> > hardware id unless the devnode for the device needs to be created in
> > devtree.
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >
> >> No (and you should have started a new thread).

Re: XP Service Pack 2 in silent mode
If the detection engine detects that a particular piece of hardware is
installed and if there's an available driver update in the WU database, the
driver update usually will be offered to the machine. WYSIWYG.