Re: Service Pack 2 KB948465

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Service Pack 2 KB948465
(cross-post added to WU)
"t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:eRqIAfu3JHA.5048@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
> Vista Home Premium 32 bit, SP 1, WLM 14v
> Windows Update offers Service Pack 2 ( KB948465 ), size 337.9 - 343.9 MB.

I suspect that is the size of a full download.
E.g. for a manual install offline.

If you're doing it via WU/AU the download will be optimized
according to what your maintenance level is.
E.g. many modules won't be any different from the ones
that a fully patched Vista SP1 already has. Just a difference
in version. So only the differences could be downloaded by AU.

> When I installed SP 1, the size was about 25 MB. It took about 1 hour and 20 min.

> Is this SP 2 going to tie down my computer for 14 hours or more ?

It's more likely to take time because others will be doing the same thing. ; )

> Is SP 2 absolutely necessary ?
> t-4-2

Assuming you already have the security patches it
incorporates, not right away IMO.

BTW WLMD is really not the best NG for discussing this.
WU would have been more appropriate.

FollowUp-To set to:

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

bobg

Re: Service Pack 2 KB948465
I downloaded it this morning and it only took 20 minutes, Part one, then
another ten minutes for shutdown and final install. Far as I can tell
everything is working OK. But I don't know what the difference is in SP 2
from SP 1? Bobg

> (cross-post added to WU)
> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>> Vista Home Premium 32 bit, SP 1, WLM 14v
>> Windows Update offers Service Pack 2 ( KB948465 ), size 337.9 - 343.9 MB.

> I suspect that is the size of a full download.
> E.g. for a manual install offline.
>
> If you're doing it via WU/AU the download will be optimized
> according to what your maintenance level is.
> E.g. many modules won't be any different from the ones
> that a fully patched Vista SP1 already has. Just a difference
> in version. So only the differences could be downloaded by AU.
>

>> When I installed SP 1, the size was about 25 MB. It took about 1 hour and
>> 20 min.

>> Is this SP 2 going to tie down my computer for 14 hours or more ?

> It's more likely to take time because others will be doing the same thing.
> ; )
>

>> Is SP 2 absolutely necessary ?
>> t-4-2

> Assuming you already have the security patches it
> incorporates, not right away IMO.
>
> BTW WLMD is really not the best NG for discussing this.
> WU would have been more appropriate.
>
> FollowUp-To set to:

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---

t-4-2

Re: Service Pack 2 KB948465
Thank you for your feedback.
P.S. Your WLM version ( 12.0.1606 ) is out-dated. We now have 14.0.0206
WLM download link : http://download.live.com

T-4-2

"bobg" <bganon@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I downloaded it this morning and it only took 20 minutes, Part one, then
> another ten minutes for shutdown and final install. Far as I can tell
> everything is working OK. But I don't know what the difference is in SP
> 2 from SP 1? Bobg
>
> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message
>> (cross-post added to WU)
>> "t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message
>>> Vista Home Premium 32 bit, SP 1, WLM 14v
>>> Windows Update offers Service Pack 2 ( KB948465 ), size 337.9 - 343.9
>>> MB.

>> I suspect that is the size of a full download.
>> E.g. for a manual install offline.
>>
>> If you're doing it via WU/AU the download will be optimized
>> according to what your maintenance level is.
>> E.g. many modules won't be any different from the ones
>> that a fully patched Vista SP1 already has. Just a difference
>> in version. So only the differences could be downloaded by AU.
>>

>>> When I installed SP 1, the size was about 25 MB. It took about 1 hour
>>> and 20 min.

>>> Is this SP 2 going to tie down my computer for 14 hours or more ?

>> It's more likely to take time because others will be doing the same
>> thing. ; )
>>

>>> Is SP 2 absolutely necessary ?
>>> t-4-2

>> Assuming you already have the security patches it
>> incorporates, not right away IMO.
>>
>> BTW WLMD is really not the best NG for discussing this.
>> WU would have been more appropriate.
>>
>> FollowUp-To set to:

>> HTH
>>
>> Robert Aldwinckle
>> ---

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Service Pack 2 KB948465

"t-4-2" <dhuang1@cogeco.ca> wrote in message news:uXQvUh$3JHA.1416@TK2MSFTNGP04.phx.gbl...
> Thank you for your feedback.

> P.S. Your WLM version ( 12.0.1606 ) is out-dated. We now have 14.0.0206
> WLM download link : http://download.live.com

I think that's what I did. Did you check my headers too?
(Not now. I'm using OE to reply here.)

BTW I won't bother doing another FollowUp-To back to your original NG.

; )

---

> T-4-2
>
> "bobg" <bganon@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:eB3#LT$3JHA.5728@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>> I downloaded it this morning and it only took 20 minutes, Part one, then another ten minutes for shutdown and final install.
>> Far as I can tell everything is working OK. But I don't know what the difference is in SP 2 from SP 1? Bobg
>>
>> "Robert Aldwinckle" <robald@techemail.com> wrote in message news:O9fk2I$3JHA.1196@TK2MSFTNGP03.phx.gbl...
>>> (cross-post added to WU)
>>>
>>> I suspect that is the size of a full download.
>>> E.g. for a manual install offline.
>>>
>>> If you're doing it via WU/AU the download will be optimized
>>> according to what your maintenance level is.
>>> E.g. many modules won't be any different from the ones
>>> that a fully patched Vista SP1 already has. Just a difference
>>> in version. So only the differences could be downloaded by AU.

>>> It's more likely to take time because others will be doing the same thing. ; )

>>> Assuming you already have the security patches it
>>> incorporates, not right away IMO.
>>>
>>> BTW WLMD is really not the best NG for discussing this.
>>> WU would have been more appropriate.
>>>
>>> FollowUp-To set to:

>>> HTH
>>>
>>> Robert Aldwinckle
>>> ---

t-4-2

Re: Service Pack 2 KB948465
I was referring to Bobg's WLM version.
Yours is the current one, according to your response to my question.
t-4-2