Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 (KB957784) - Failure

Phil

Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 (KB957784) - Failure
I run XP Pro (SP3) Office 03 Pro (SP3) and the Office 07 Compatability Pack.

I have been attempting to install this update for some weeks but without
success.

I have tried clearing caches and removing temp files.
I have searched the forums and did find one similar reference under Vista
but (as you can see) I am not running that OS.

Any solution ideas would be most appreciated.
Ǝиçεl

RE: Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 (KB957784) - Failure
Hello Phil,

See if anything here helps.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...xp=&sloc=en-us

Please let us know what fixes the problem or if the pяoblem remains
-=-

Ǝиçεl
:. .:

"Phil" wrote:

> I run XP Pro (SP3) Office 03 Pro (SP3) and the Office 07 Compatability Pack.
>
> I have been attempting to install this update for some weeks but without
> success.
>
> I have tried clearing caches and removing temp files.
> I have searched the forums and did find one similar reference under Vista
> but (as you can see) I am not running that OS.
>
> Any solution ideas would be most appreciated.

MowGreen

Re: Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 (KB957784) - Failure
Phil ... Using Internet Explorer, go here:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...incatalog.aspx

Allow the installation of the Office Update ActiveX control.
When the page reloads and the scan is finished, allow the download and
installation of the offered updates.

How many updates were offered ?
Did they install successfully ?

If not, then you can obtain *no-charge* support for getting Security
updates installed:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957784

> How to obtain help and support for this security update
> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and
> Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. For more information about how to contact
> your local Microsoft subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft
> International Support Web site:
> http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4
> North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited no-charge e-mail support or to
> unlimited individual chat support by visiting the following Microsoft Web site:
> http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?&prid=7552

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Phil wrote:

> I run XP Pro (SP3) Office 03 Pro (SP3) and the Office 07 Compatability Pack.
>
> I have been attempting to install this update for some weeks but without
> success.
>
> I have tried clearing caches and removing temp files.
> I have searched the forums and did find one similar reference under Vista
> but (as you can see) I am not running that OS.
>
> Any solution ideas would be most appreciated.

Phil

Re: Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 (KB957784) - Fai
Hi Mowgreen,

Following your suggestion, I was offered only the one update (This troubling
one).
When I chose to download and install it, it once again failed.
It did then generate an error report (which I submitted).
For reference, I had previously been using 'Microsoft Update' rather than
the 'Office Update'.

"MowGreen" wrote:

> Phil ... Using Internet Explorer, go here:
> http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...incatalog.aspx
>
> Allow the installation of the Office Update ActiveX control.
> When the page reloads and the scan is finished, allow the download and
> installation of the offered updates.
>
> How many updates were offered ?
> Did they install successfully ?
>
> If not, then you can obtain *no-charge* support for getting Security
> updates installed:
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957784
>
> > How to obtain help and support for this security update
> > For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and
> > Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. For more information about how to contact
> > your local Microsoft subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft
> > International Support Web site:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4
> > North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited no-charge e-mail support or to
> > unlimited individual chat support by visiting the following Microsoft Web site:
> > http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?&prid=7552

> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Phil wrote:
>
> > I run XP Pro (SP3) Office 03 Pro (SP3) and the Office 07 Compatability Pack.
> >
> > I have been attempting to install this update for some weeks but without
> > success.
> >
> > I have tried clearing caches and removing temp files.
> > I have searched the forums and did find one similar reference under Vista
> > but (as you can see) I am not running that OS.
> >
> > Any solution ideas would be most appreciated.

Re: Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 (KB957784) - Failure
Insert your Office 2003 CD into the appropriate drive before attempting to
install KB957784 again.

And/or see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949074

And/or see the "How to obtain help..." section of

Phil wrote:
> I run XP Pro (SP3) Office 03 Pro (SP3) and the Office 07 Compatability
> Pack.
>
> I have been attempting to install this update for some weeks but without
> success.
>
> I have tried clearing caches and removing temp files.
> I have searched the forums and did find one similar reference under Vista
> but (as you can see) I am not running that OS.
>
> Any solution ideas would be most appreciated.

MowGreen

Re: Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 (KB957784) - Fai
I wanted to see if any more updates were offered from the Office Update
page as opposed to MU.

Have you contacted MS for 'no-charge support' ?

If not, this MSKB tells you where the log files are located for the
attempted installation of KB957784:

How to troubleshoot an update installation by using log files in Office 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/884290

See if there any errors present in the log, Phil.

MowGreen
=================
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Phil wrote:
> Hi Mowgreen,
>
> Following your suggestion, I was offered only the one update (This troubling
> one).
> When I chose to download and install it, it once again failed.
> It did then generate an error report (which I submitted).
> For reference, I had previously been using 'Microsoft Update' rather than
> the 'Office Update'.
>
> "MowGreen" wrote:
>

>>Phil ... Using Internet Explorer, go here:
>>http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/do...incatalog.aspx
>>
>>Allow the installation of the Office Update ActiveX control.
>>When the page reloads and the scan is finished, allow the download and
>>installation of the offered updates.
>>
>>How many updates were offered ?
>>Did they install successfully ?
>>
>>If not, then you can obtain *no-charge* support for getting Security
>>updates installed:
>>
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957784
>>

>>>How to obtain help and support for this security update
>>>For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in the United States and
>>>Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft subsidiary. For more information about how to contact
>>>your local Microsoft subsidiary for support issues with security updates, visit the Microsoft
>>>International Support Web site:
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/common/....aspx?rdpath=4
>>>North American customers can also obtain instant access to unlimited no-charge e-mail support or to
>>>unlimited individual chat support by visiting the following Microsoft Web site:
>>>http://support.microsoft.com/oas/def...spx?&prid=7552

>>MowGreen
>>===============
>> *-343-* FDNY
>>Never Forgotten
>>===============
>>

>>Phil wrote:
>>

>>>I run XP Pro (SP3) Office 03 Pro (SP3) and the Office 07 Compatability Pack.
>>>
>>>I have been attempting to install this update for some weeks but without
>>>success.
>>>
>>>I have tried clearing caches and removing temp files.
>>>I have searched the forums and did find one similar reference under Vista
>>>but (as you can see) I am not running that OS.
>>>
>>>Any solution ideas would be most appreciated.

Phil

Re: Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 (KB957784) - Fai
Thank you all for your suggestions.
Unfortunately, not even MS were able to solve this issue.
I had the 'live' support tech in my system for over an hour looking for
where the problem was without success.
In the end, I gave up on MS solving it so I uninstalled Office and it's
various add-ons completely.
Upon re-installing, all updates installed smoothly (including the one that
gave me trouble).

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Insert your Office 2003 CD into the appropriate drive before attempting to
> install KB957784 again.
>
> And/or see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949074
>
> And/or see the "How to obtain help..." section of
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957784
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> Phil wrote:
> > I run XP Pro (SP3) Office 03 Pro (SP3) and the Office 07 Compatability
> > Pack.
> >
> > I have been attempting to install this update for some weeks but without
> > success.
> >
> > I have tried clearing caches and removing temp files.
> > I have searched the forums and did find one similar reference under Vista
> > but (as you can see) I am not running that OS.
> >
> > Any solution ideas would be most appreciated.

MowGreen

Re: Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 (KB957784) - Fai
Thanks for posting back, Phil. Heck, we could have recommended
uninstalling Office and starting from scratch in the first place.
Sorry to hear that MS had no resolution for the update installation issue.

Do you run any disk cleanup or registry 'tuneup tools' ?

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

Phil wrote:

> Thank you all for your suggestions.
> Unfortunately, not even MS were able to solve this issue.
> I had the 'live' support tech in my system for over an hour looking for
> where the problem was without success.
> In the end, I gave up on MS solving it so I uninstalled Office and it's
> various add-ons completely.
> Upon re-installing, all updates installed smoothly (including the one that
> gave me trouble).
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>

>>Insert your Office 2003 CD into the appropriate drive before attempting to
>>install KB957784 again.
>>
>>And/or see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949074
>>
>>And/or see the "How to obtain help..." section of
>>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957784
>>--
>>~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002
>>

>>Phil wrote:
>>
>>>I run XP Pro (SP3) Office 03 Pro (SP3) and the Office 07 Compatability
>>>Pack.
>>>
>>>I have been attempting to install this update for some weeks but without
>>>success.
>>>
>>>I have tried clearing caches and removing temp files.
>>>I have searched the forums and did find one similar reference under Vista
>>>but (as you can see) I am not running that OS.
>>>
>>>Any solution ideas would be most appreciated.

Phil

Re: Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 (KB957784) - Fai
Hi Mowgreen,

Yes. I run 'Glary Utilities' and the 'Wise' cleaners periodically combined
with 'Auslogics Disk Defragmenter'.
Perhaps one of these removed a 'required' registry entry. Is that what
you're getting at?

"MowGreen" wrote:

> Thanks for posting back, Phil. Heck, we could have recommended
> uninstalling Office and starting from scratch in the first place.
> Sorry to hear that MS had no resolution for the update installation issue.
>
> Do you run any disk cleanup or registry 'tuneup tools' ?
>

> MowGreen
> ===============
> *-343-* FDNY
> Never Forgotten
> ===============
>

> Phil wrote:
>
> > Thank you all for your suggestions.
> > Unfortunately, not even MS were able to solve this issue.
> > I had the 'live' support tech in my system for over an hour looking for
> > where the problem was without success.
> > In the end, I gave up on MS solving it so I uninstalled Office and it's
> > various add-ons completely.
> > Upon re-installing, all updates installed smoothly (including the one that
> > gave me trouble).
> >
> > "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
> >

> >>Insert your Office 2003 CD into the appropriate drive before attempting to
> >>install KB957784 again.
> >>
> >>And/or see http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949074
> >>
> >>And/or see the "How to obtain help..." section of
> >>http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957784
> >>--
> >>~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> >>MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002

MowGreen

Re: Security Update for Microsoft PowerPoint 2003 (KB957784) - Fai
Howdy Phil,

Yup, you've got it. A disk defragger will not cause an installation
issue with this update but a disk cleanup tool can/will remove
installation source files that Office needs in order to install
subsequent updates and Service Packs.
Not sure what 'Glary Utilities' is or what it does but ... if it cleans
the registry it can/will remove required paths to intallation sources
that Office updates/SPs also need.

I'd be surprised, well, kind of surprised, that the tech assisting you
didn't inquire about such 'tools'. If the tech did, he most certainly
*should* have asked you if the tools created backups that could be used
when such situations as these arise.

MG