Update Download speed...

Tohndef

Update Download speed...
I know we all would like updates to occur as fast as possible.
However, I would like to limit the speed of download of
windows updates to limit the impact on other operations
on my lan. I am sure there is a simple way to do this..I just can't
find it..any help please?

MowGreen

Re: Update Download speed...
The updates downloads bandwidth useage are regulated by the use of the
Background Intelligent Transfer service [BITS]:

> BITS provides one foreground and three background priority levels that you use to prioritize transfer
> jobs. Higher priority jobs preempt lower priority jobs. Jobs at the same priority level share transfer
> time, which prevents a large job from blocking small jobs in the transfer queue. Lower priority jobs
> do not receive transfer time until all higher priority jobs are complete or in an error state.
>
> Background transfers are optimal in that BITS uses idle network bandwidth to transfer the files and
> will increase or decrease the rate at which files are transferred based on the amount of idle network
> bandwidth available. If a network application begins to consume more bandwidth, BITS decreases its
> transfer rate to preserve the user's interactive experience.

At the very bottom of the MSDN article there are links to Bits
Interfaces and Using BITS. Peruse them if you think that will facilitate
operations on the LAN.

One can download the monthly updates manually in order to best preserve
network bandwidth. MS releases an ISO of all Security updates released
by month, such as the April 2009 Security Release ISO Image
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...8-08042138dd8e

Or, one can peruse the list of ALL updates released by month and use the
links to the KB articles to obtain them:

EX: Description of Software Update Services and Windows Server Update
Services changes in content for 2009
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/894199

MowGreen
*-343-* FDNY