Re: Windows Update -- Hosts file?

Here's what I'm driving at, Scott: Reaching Windows Update is only a
miniscule part of your many problems. What good is being able to reach
Windows Update website if you can't use it?

Once you've found & removed the hijackers that are causing the inability to
reach & use Windows Update (as well as Automatic Updates) and all the rest
of your many problems, you probably won't have to fiddle with your hosts
file.

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> [You may have multiposted but you did not crosspost, Scott; see
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm ]
>
> Stop messing around with your hosts file, etc. None of this is going to
> resolve what's ailing your computer.
>
> [PS: You're not updating via WSUS anyway.]
>
> Repost:
>
> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had
> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has
> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!

> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>
> 2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection'
> scan
> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>
> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>
> **Seek expert assistance in
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> or other appropriate forums.**
>
> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
>
> S. Needham wrote:
>> APOLOGIES FOR CROSSPOSTING MS/PUB/WINDOWS.SERVER.UPDATE_SERVICES
>>
>> Folk:
>>
>> Recently had a malware problem; on of its effects apparently was to
>> remove
>> my IE7/XPPro system's ability to go to the Microsoft Update site. Every
>> time I try I get the Google equivalent of a 404. I had the same problem
>> with my ZoneAlarm update service, and fixed it by putting some update
>> server
>> info in the Hosts file. Will the same procedure work here, and if so,
>> what
>> is the info?

S. Needham

Re: Windows Update -- Hosts file?
OK. My tendency is just to take baby steps.

So: MRT reports no malware. I'll follow the other steps as I can.

Regards and Happy Trails,

Scott Needham
Boulder, Colorado, USA

> Here's what I'm driving at, Scott: Reaching Windows Update is only a
> miniscule part of your many problems. What good is being able to reach
> Windows Update website if you can't use it?
>
> Once you've found & removed the hijackers that are causing the inability
> to reach & use Windows Update (as well as Automatic Updates) and all the
> rest of your many problems, you probably won't have to fiddle with your
> hosts file.
>

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> [You may have multiposted but you did not crosspost, Scott; see
>> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm ]
>>
>> Stop messing around with your hosts file, etc. None of this is going to
>> resolve what's ailing your computer.
>>
>> [PS: You're not updating via WSUS anyway.]
>>
>> Repost:
>>
>> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription
>> had
>> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription
>> has
>> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
>> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
>> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!
>>
>> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>
>> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
>> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
>> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>>
>> 2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection'
>> scan
>> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>
>> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
>> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>>
>> **Seek expert assistance in
>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
>> or other appropriate forums.**
>>
>> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>>
>> S. Needham wrote:
>>> APOLOGIES FOR CROSSPOSTING MS/PUB/WINDOWS.SERVER.UPDATE_SERVICES
>>>
>>> Folk:
>>>
>>> Recently had a malware problem; on of its effects apparently was to
>>> remove
>>> my IE7/XPPro system's ability to go to the Microsoft Update site. Every
>>> time I try I get the Google equivalent of a 404. I had the same problem
>>> with my ZoneAlarm update service, and fixed it by putting some update
>>> server
>>> info in the Hosts file. Will the same procedure work here, and if so,
>>> what
>>> is the info?

S. Needham

Thanks Re: Windows Update -- Hosts file?
I did all you suggested, meanwhile contacting Microsoft Tech Support. The
tech sent me to the malwarebyte site and after some finagling I ran
it--found two trojans and a worm. Then I ran some dos commands he suggested
to flush dns, and it looks as if I'm up and running.

THANK YOU for your advice.

Regards and Happy Trails,

Scott Needham
Boulder, Colorado, USA

> Here's what I'm driving at, Scott: Reaching Windows Update is only a
> miniscule part of your many problems. What good is being able to reach
> Windows Update website if you can't use it?
>
> Once you've found & removed the hijackers that are causing the inability
> to reach & use Windows Update (as well as Automatic Updates) and all the
> rest of your many problems, you probably won't have to fiddle with your
> hosts file.
>

> PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
>> [You may have multiposted but you did not crosspost, Scott; see
>> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm ]
>>
>> Stop messing around with your hosts file, etc. None of this is going to
>> resolve what's ailing your computer.
>>
>> [PS: You're not updating via WSUS anyway.]
>>
>> Repost:
>>
>> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription
>> had
>> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription
>> has
>> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
>> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
>> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!
>>
>> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>
>> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
>> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
>> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>>
>> 2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection'
>> scan
>> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>
>> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
>> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>>
>> **Seek expert assistance in
>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
>> or other appropriate forums.**
>>
>> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>>
>> S. Needham wrote:
>>> APOLOGIES FOR CROSSPOSTING MS/PUB/WINDOWS.SERVER.UPDATE_SERVICES
>>>
>>> Folk:
>>>
>>> Recently had a malware problem; on of its effects apparently was to
>>> remove
>>> my IE7/XPPro system's ability to go to the Microsoft Update site. Every
>>> time I try I get the Google equivalent of a 404. I had the same problem
>>> with my ZoneAlarm update service, and fixed it by putting some update
>>> server
>>> info in the Hosts file. Will the same procedure work here, and if so,
>>> what
>>> is the info?

Re: Thanks Re: Windows Update -- Hosts file?
And can you now access & use Windows Update website? Is Automatic Updates
enabled? Is ZAISS fully-patched & -updated?

>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
>>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm

>>> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,