Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Windows XP Home Service Pack 3

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2009
B.A.
 

Posts: n/a
Windows XP Home Service Pack 3
I had my windows auto updates on but am having a problem with updates for the
Silverlight.KB960353..says cannot be updated..It also said it would download
auto. and shut off my system..I woke up one morning and my system was still
on and the update never happened..It got so frustrating that I turned off
auto.To my UTTER SURPRISE the update icon came up even after I shut auto.
down..So what's going on MICROSOFT??
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2009
Shenan Stanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP Home Service Pack 3
B.A. wrote:
> I had my windows auto updates on but am having a problem with
> updates for the Silverlight.KB960353..says cannot be updated..It
> also said it would download auto. and shut off my system..I woke up
> one morning and my system was still on and the update never
> happened..It got so frustrating that I turned off auto.To my UTTER
> SURPRISE the update icon came up even after I shut auto. down..So
> what's going on MICROSOFT??


Your computer - out of the millions that likely got that update with no
problems and whose automatic updates are working well - is having a problem
getting that one update and it is "Microsoft's issue", not yours? *grin*
That's funny.

Try this:

- Uninstall Silverlight (Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs --> "Show
Updates" checked --> locate, select and remove "Microsoft Silverlight" from
the list.)
- Reboot.
- Download and install the latest SilverLight from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight...s/install.aspx

If that does fail (for whatever reason) - come back and reply to this
conversation with the error messages (if any) you receive.

You also may want to cleanup your machine and verify your update system is
clean/working/fully updated as well by following the instructions I am about
to give step-by-step...

Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately) with the
following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for this):

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

After performing a full scan with one and then the other and removing
whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall these products,
if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here (x86):
http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE
--> Click OK.

(If asked, select "Run.) --> Click on NEXT --> Select "I agree" and click on
NEXT --> When it finishes installing, click on "Finish"...

Reboot.

Download/Install the latest Windows Installer (for your OS):
( Windows XP 32-bit : WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe )
http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it. You can
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

Once the scan is done, select just _ONE_ of the high priority updates
(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

If it did work - try the web page again - selecting no more than 3-5 at a
time.

The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I recommend
against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.


** If it seemed to have failed, do this: **

Check the status of these two services:
- Automatic Updates
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In the list of
services, find those two, right click on them one at a time and choose
properties. In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to?

Report that here.

Then:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2009
B.A.
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP Home Service Pack 3


"Shenan Stanley" wrote:

> B.A. wrote:
> > I had my windows auto updates on but am having a problem with
> > updates for the Silverlight.KB960353..says cannot be updated..It
> > also said it would download auto. and shut off my system..I woke up
> > one morning and my system was still on and the update never
> > happened..It got so frustrating that I turned off auto.To my UTTER
> > SURPRISE the update icon came up even after I shut auto. down..So
> > what's going on MICROSOFT??

>
> Your computer - out of the millions that likely got that update with no
> problems and whose automatic updates are working well - is having a problem
> getting that one update and it is "Microsoft's issue", not yours? *grin*
> That's funny.
>
> Try this:
>
> - Uninstall Silverlight (Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs --> "Show
> Updates" checked --> locate, select and remove "Microsoft Silverlight" from
> the list.)
> - Reboot.
> - Download and install the latest SilverLight from here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight...s/install.aspx
>
> If that does fail (for whatever reason) - come back and reply to this
> conversation with the error messages (if any) you receive.
>
> You also may want to cleanup your machine and verify your update system is
> clean/working/fully updated as well by following the instructions I am about
> to give step-by-step...
>
> Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately) with the
> following two applications (freeware versions are the ones to use for this):
>
> SuperAntiSpyware
> http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> MalwareBytes
> http://www.malwarebytes.com/
>
> After performing a full scan with one and then the other and removing
> whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall these products,
> if you wish.
>
> Reboot.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
> --> Click OK.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
> --> Click OK.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
> --> Click OK.
>
> Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here (x86):
> http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
> .... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
> of the C:\ drive, do the following:
>
> Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE
> --> Click OK.
>
> (If asked, select "Run.) --> Click on NEXT --> Select "I agree" and click on
> NEXT --> When it finishes installing, click on "Finish"...
>
> Reboot.
>
> Download/Install the latest Windows Installer (for your OS):
> ( Windows XP 32-bit : WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe )
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en
>
> Reboot.
>
> Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
> visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
> (Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
> first press and hold down the CTRL key while you click on it. You can
> release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)
>
> Once the scan is done, select just _ONE_ of the high priority updates
> (deselect any others) and install it.
>
> Reboot again.
>
> If it did work - try the web page again - selecting no more than 3-5 at a
> time.
>
> The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I recommend
> against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office Live" ones for
> now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates.
>
> Come back - let us know if that worked.
> .... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.
>
>
> ** If it seemed to have failed, do this: **
>
> Check the status of these two services:
> - Automatic Updates
> - Background Intelligent Transfer Service
>
> Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In the list of
> services, find those two, right click on them one at a time and choose
> properties. In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to?
>
> Report that here.
>
> Then:
>
> Click Start, and then click Run.
> In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
> and then click OK.
>
> Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
> code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.
>
> You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...
>
> How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093
>
> --
> Shenan Stanley
> MS-MVP
> --
> How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
> http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
>
> OK I have tried all of the above to no avail..When I tried to add/remove the silverlight it came up and said:cannot find path
>

Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2009
Shenan Stanley
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP Home Service Pack 3
B.A. wrote:
> I had my windows auto updates on but am having a problem with
> updates for the Silverlight.KB960353..says cannot be updated..It
> also said it would download auto. and shut off my system..I woke up
> one morning and my system was still on and the update never
> happened..It got so frustrating that I turned off auto.To my UTTER
> SURPRISE the update icon came up even after I shut auto. down..So
> what's going on MICROSOFT??


Shenan Stanley wrote:
> Your computer - out of the millions that likely got that update
> with no problems and whose automatic updates are working well - is
> having a problem getting that one update and it is "Microsoft's
> issue", not yours? *grin* That's funny.
>
> Try this:
>
> - Uninstall Silverlight (Control Panel --> Add or Remove Programs
> --> "Show Updates" checked --> locate, select and remove "Microsoft
> Silverlight" from the list.)
> - Reboot.
> - Download and install the latest SilverLight from here:
> http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight...s/install.aspx
>
> If that does fail (for whatever reason) - come back and reply to
> this conversation with the error messages (if any) you receive.
>
> You also may want to cleanup your machine and verify your update
> system is clean/working/fully updated as well by following the
> instructions I am about to give step-by-step...
>
> Download, install, run, update and perform a full scan (separately)
> with the following two applications (freeware versions are the ones
> to use for this):
>
> SuperAntiSpyware
> http://www.superantispyware.com/
>
> MalwareBytes
> http://www.malwarebytes.com/
>
> After performing a full scan with one and then the other and
> removing whatever they both find completely, you may uninstall
> these products,
> if you wish.
>
> Reboot.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
> --> Click OK.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
> --> Click OK.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
> --> Click OK.
>
> Download the latest version of the Windows Update agent from here
> (x86): http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=91237
> ... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to
> the root of the C:\ drive, do the following:
>
> Close all Internet Explorer windows and other applications.
>
> Start button --> RUN and type in:
> %SystemDrive%\windowsupdateagent30-x86.exe /WUFORCE
> --> Click OK.
>
> (If asked, select "Run.) --> Click on NEXT --> Select "I agree" and
> click on NEXT --> When it finishes installing, click on "Finish"...
>
> Reboot.
>
> Download/Install the latest Windows Installer (for your OS):
> ( Windows XP 32-bit : WindowsXP-KB942288-v3-x86.exe )
> http://www.microsoft.com/downloadS/d...displaylang=en
>
> Reboot.
>
> Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet
> Explorer and visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select
> to do a CUSTOM scan... (Every time you are about to click on
> something while at these web pages - first press and hold down the
> CTRL key while you click on it. You can release the CTRL key after
> clicking each time.)
>
> Once the scan is done, select just _ONE_ of the high priority
> updates (deselect any others) and install it.
>
> Reboot again.
>
> If it did work - try the web page again - selecting no more than
> 3-5 at a time.
>
> The Optional Software updates are generally safe - although I
> recommend against the "Windows Search" one and any of the "Office
> Live" ones for
> now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates.
>
> Come back - let us know if that worked.
> ... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.
>
>
> ** If it seemed to have failed, do this: **
>
> Check the status of these two services:
> - Automatic Updates
> - Background Intelligent Transfer Service
>
> Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In
> the list of services, find those two, right click on them one at a
> time and choose properties. In the Startup type list, what is each
> of them set to?
>
> Report that here.
>
> Then:
>
> Click Start, and then click Run.
> In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
> and then click OK.
>
> Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any
> error code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.
>
> You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...
>
> How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093


B.A. wrote:
> OK I have tried all of the above to no avail..When I tried to
> add/remove the silverlight it came up and said:cannot find path


You fully scanned with MalwareBytes and SuperAntiSpyware individually in
combination with the the download/installs of the Windows Update and Windows
Installer applications and WAU registrations - as well as you checked the
services status and the Windows update log (and just decided not to share
those things as asked?) - all in under 45 minutes?

Wow.

Use the Windows Install Clean-up Utility to remove it from the list:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301
(Detailed for you here:
http://blogs.msdn.com/rpomeroy/archi...tallation.aspx )

Then visit the web page given before to install it again.

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP
--
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html


Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-28-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Windows XP Home Service Pack 3
1. Uninstall Silverlight & reboot.

2. Download/install the newest version.

Or post in the appropriate forum here: http://silverlight.net/forums/
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Client - since 2002


B.A. wrote:
> I had my windows auto updates on but am having a problem with updates for
> the Silverlight.KB960353..says cannot be updated..It also said it would
> download auto. and shut off my system..I woke up one morning and my system
> was still on and the update never happened..It got so frustrating that I
> turned off auto.To my UTTER SURPRISE the update icon came up even after I
> shut auto. down..So what's going on MICROSOFT??


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
windows xp home edition service pack 2 upgade Drew microsoft.public.windowsupdate 2 10-15-2008 19:19
Service pack 3 does not update on my xp home margo microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 07-05-2008 06:32
Where can i download XP Service Pack 2 for the Home Edition? JJBro1 microsoft.public.windowsupdate 8 01-22-2008 16:45
windows xp home service pack 2. error. msstupid microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 12-21-2007 19:34
Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 and Windows XP Professional x64 Service Pack 2 has BlogFeed Windows Vista Blogs Forum 0 03-16-2007 01:00




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:51.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120