Re: Asking to download update repeatedly (xml update)

Re: Asking to download update repeatedly (xml update)
[crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]

"Pick one or two" = See all those previous discussions about the same
problem: You are not alone.

Or just see the "Known Issues" and "How to obtain help..." sections of
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181 and
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430
--
Windows Update-specific newsgroup:

skynet wrote:
> Bear,
> Not sure what you mean "one or two" -- postings? It's all confusing to me
> on what to do. We will just try and remove the patch and dowload it.
> It's
> now asking to installed kb936181. We're confused so we'll try... -s
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>> Pick one or two:
>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...t=0&scoring=d&
>>
>> skynet wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> We run xp media center edition. The system keeps asking us to download
>>> and
>>> install the update (Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2
>>> (KB954430).
>>>
>>> It downloads and installs, but each time we reboot the system it keeps
>>> asking us to download and install. We look at the updates history it
>>> says
>>> we’ve installed it 7 times so we know it’s installing.
>>>
>>> Can anyone help us? Not sure why this is happening. We have update to
>>> date
>>> all security patches and service packs. Thank you. -s

Steve T

Re: Asking to download update repeatedly (xml update)
I have read both articles. I was able to uninstall KB954430. I do not have
KB936181. When I try to delete msxml4.dll, I get an error message that I
don't have permission to delete it. I have admin rights. I right clicked
and selected run as administrator. Still didn't work. I changed my
permissions for the file to everything except special permission because it
would not let me check that item. How do I get my profile to have all
access for everything? Since I cannot delete this file I cannot proceed
with the instructions. I also tried to reinstall the update in safe mode.
I get an error that the windows installer cannot be used in safe mode.
Where can I find accurate instructions on how to resolve this frustrating
issue?
--
Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 32-bit
Internet Explorer v8

ESET Smart Security

> [crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
>
> "Pick one or two" = See all those previous discussions about the same
> problem: You are not alone.
>
> Or just see the "Known Issues" and "How to obtain help..." sections of
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181 and
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430
> --
> Windows Update-specific newsgroup:
>
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>

> skynet wrote:
>> Bear,
>> Not sure what you mean "one or two" -- postings? It's all confusing to
>> me
>> on what to do. We will just try and remove the patch and dowload it.
>> It's
>> now asking to installed kb936181. We're confused so we'll try... -s
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>> Pick one or two:
>>> http://groups.google.com/group/micro...t=0&scoring=d&

Re: Asking to download update repeatedly (xml update)
Repost:

Steve T wrote:
> I have read both articles. I was able to uninstall KB954430. I do not
> have
> KB936181. When I try to delete msxml4.dll, I get an error message that I
> don't have permission to delete it. I have admin rights. I right clicked
> and selected run as administrator. Still didn't work. I changed my
> permissions for the file to everything except special permission because
> it
> would not let me check that item. How do I get my profile to have all
> access for everything? Since I cannot delete this file I cannot proceed
> with the instructions. I also tried to reinstall the update in safe mode.
> I get an error that the windows installer cannot be used in safe mode.
> Where can I find accurate instructions on how to resolve this frustrating
> issue?

>> [crossposted to Windows Update newsgroup]
>>
>> "Pick one or two" = See all those previous discussions about the same
>> problem: You are not alone.
>>
>> Or just see the "Known Issues" and "How to obtain help..." sections of
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/936181 and
>> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/954430
>> --
>> Windows Update-specific newsgroup:
>>
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> skynet wrote:
>>> Bear,
>>> Not sure what you mean "one or two" -- postings? It's all confusing to
>>> me
>>> on what to do. We will just try and remove the patch and dowload it.
>>> It's
>>> now asking to installed kb936181. We're confused so we'll try... -s

Robert Aldwinckle

"Steve T" <steviegt@live.com> wrote in message news3DEDFCB-9153-44F6-AE82-A67FEAF1EC05@microsoft.com...
>I have read both articles. I was able to uninstall KB954430. I do not have
> KB936181.

> When I try to delete msxml4.dll, I get an error message that I
> don't have permission to delete it. I have admin rights. I right clicked
> and selected run as administrator. Still didn't work. I changed my
> permissions for the file to everything except special permission because it
> would not let me check that item.

> How do I get my profile to have all access for everything?

It's possible that your symptoms are misleading.
E.g. rather than lack of permissions it may only be that the module
is already in use by another program.

> Since I cannot delete this file I cannot proceed with the instructions.

<quote>
2. Delete the Msxml4.dll file from the %SystemRoot%\System32 folder.
</quote>

That's a pretty vague instruction IMO with no contingency instructions
that would be needed frequently by many.

Have you tried booting your system in command mode and trying
the del command there? Also, I suspect you might have to consider
what would be happening with a copy in dllcache on your next
normal boot. ; }

Otherwise what I would try is seeing if there are still programs
which have that file open and if possible stop them.
E.g. in a cmd window enter:

tasklist /fi "Modules eq msxml4.dll"

For example, I don't have that version on my system but I do have
one program currently running which has loaded msxml6.dll

<cmd_output OS="XPsp3">

E:\>tasklist /fi "Modules eq msxml6.dll"

Image Name PID Session Name Session# Mem Usage
========================= ====== ================ ======== ============
itype.exe 2508 Console 0 1,312 K

</cmd_output>

So if I had a similar symptom to yours which involved msxml6.dll
while it was in that condition I would have to stop that task
(which just happens to be running because that's the way I start
my default mail client.)

> I also tried to reinstall the update in safe mode.
> I get an error that the windows installer cannot be used in safe mode.

So, instead you could try downloading the update and installing it manually.
Alternatively, perhaps you could try starting that service?

> Where can I find accurate instructions on how to resolve this frustrating
> issue?

First get a better handle on your symptoms then it will be easier to devise
a plan for resolving the problem they are manifesting. ; )

BTW are you you sknet too (this discussion's OP)?
Looking at your OS (in your signature) I suspect not.
And if not it would have been better if you had started
your own thread with your own specific symptom description.

Also, notice that this thread is cross-posted so if you are just adding
a "Me too!" no one really knows where you are posting from.
And if it is really just in the WU NG readers in the originating NG
may consider your subthread OT or confusing, especially if it involves
any Vista specific considerations or procedures in its resolution.

FWIW I am posting from the WU NG. For the benefit of other WU readers
here is a link to the whole original thread:

5/26/2009 3:23 PM PST
http://www.microsoft.com/communities...7-22d3d347feb6

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle