smart screen filter on IE 8 for XP

smiles_ny

smart screen filter on IE 8 for XP
I have IE 8 on both my computers and this isnt a issue on one but on my
other computer the smart screen filter goes off every time I close IE 8 . I
open IE 8 check it and its off so I turn it back on again,,then shut IE 8
out,go back in to check and Smart Screen Filter is off . I also turned it
back on by going to options and then Advanced tab and under security turn it
on and check apply ,ok,,but it still goes off everytime i close the IE 8 and
Security 2009 ? Just seems odd it keeps shutting off. I can use it if i
remember to turn it on every time i open a new IE 8 page. Thanks,would like
some advice.

Re: smart screen filter on IE 8 for XP
[Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]

1. Did you disable NAV, any/all Norton Add-ons, & the Norton Firewall and
then enable the Windows Firewall before you installed IE8?

2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode (i.e., with
Norton Anti-Phishing disabled)? To start IE in No Add-ons mode:

Add-ons; or

Explorer (No add-ons).

3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?

4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?

5. Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of IE8?
<=Just asking for now!!

smiles_ny wrote:
> I have IE 8 on both my computers and this isnt a issue on one but on my
> other computer the smart screen filter goes off every time I close IE 8 .
> open IE 8 check it and its off so I turn it back on again,,then shut IE 8
> out,go back in to check and Smart Screen Filter is off . I also turned it
> back on by going to options and then Advanced tab and under security turn
> it
> on and check apply ,ok,,but it still goes off everytime i close the IE 8
> and
> Norton
> Security 2009 ? Just seems odd it keeps shutting off. I can use it if i
> remember to turn it on every time i open a new IE 8 page. Thanks,would
> like
> some advice.

smiles_ny

smiles_ny wrote:
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> [Crosspost to IE General newsgroup]
>>
>> 1. Did you disable NAV, any/all Norton Add-ons, & the Norton Firewall and
>> then enable the Windows Firewall before you installed IE8?
>>
>> 2. Does the behavior persist if you start IE in No Add-ons mode (i.e.,
>> with
>> Norton Anti-Phishing disabled)? To start IE in No Add-ons mode:
>>
>> => Right-click on the blue IE desktop icon and select Start without
>> Add-ons; or

>> Explorer (No add-ons).
>>
>> Troubleshooting and Internet Explorer’s (No Add-ons) Mode:
>>
>> 3. Does the behavior persist if you Reset IE Advanced settings (RIES)?
>>
>> 4. Does the behavior persist if you boot into Safe Mode with Networking?
>> [Careful! Only remain in Safe Mode just long enough to test!]
>>
>> 5. Do you have an available Restore Point which predates the install of
>> IE8? <=Just asking for now!!
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>

>> smiles_ny wrote:
>>> I have IE 8 on both my computers and this isnt a issue on one but on my
>>> other computer the smart screen filter goes off every time I close IE 8
>>> .
>>> open IE 8 check it and its off so I turn it back on again,,then shut IE
>>> 8
>>> out,go back in to check and Smart Screen Filter is off . I also turned
>>> it
>>> back on by going to options and then Advanced tab and under security
>>> turn
>>> it
>>> on and check apply ,ok,,but it still goes off everytime i close the IE 8
>>> and
>>> Norton
>>> Security 2009 ? Just seems odd it keeps shutting off. I can use it if i
>>> remember to turn it on every time i open a new IE 8 page. Thanks,would
>>> like
>>> some advice.

>> in answer to your question 1. no i didnt but i didnt on my other computer
>> and the smart screen works fine. 2. I did disable the add ons like you
>> suggested,it didnt make a difference. 3.I did as you said in 3 ,said that
>> in my first message when i asked for help,it didnt make a difference.4. I
>> have NOT gone to testing it in safe mode ,but was hoping not to have to
>> do
>> that,havent in years and even if it was to make a difference in safe mode
>> iwouldnt know what to do from that point anyways lol.5. NOT going to go
>> a restore point for just this issue,mainly was hoping for a easy solution
>> and wondering if anyone else was having the same issue. I have the NOrton
>> 2009 Security anyways so this smart screen is probably just over kill but
>> i like to figure things out. Thanks for your time PA Bear. I do
>> appreciate it What does (MS MVP) mean after your name ?

See http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpexecsum

smiles_ny