Can not access the Windows Update website

Dimitris

Can not access the Windows Update website
Hello,

A few days ago I caught the W32.Virut.cf virus
I am trying to remove it but it keeps coming back. I have Norton antivirus
2009.
Anyway since the time I found the virus I can not access Windows Update and
every antivirus website (Symantec, Mcafee and others) but I can access every
other website. when I try to access the windows Update webpage I just get
that white page that says that Internet Explorer can not open the site. Do
you know anyway that I can access the Windows Update website concerning my
problem?
I have winXP Professional.
I am writing to this Newsgroup from another computer.

Any help will be very appreciated since I am trying to do anything possible
to solve my problem and I also want to download the latest windows updates.

Thank you in advance.
Dimitris

PS. I will post this at the Computer Security group as well.
Ǝиçεl

RE: Can not access the Windows Update website

Hello Dimitris,

Clean your PC before you updated.

You might want to start in Safe Mode to run your antivirus and anti-spyware
software.

Running a full system antivirus scan or anti-spyware scan in Safe Mode can
be a good idea. Some viruses and other malware like to conceal themselves in
areas Windows protects while using them. Safe mode will prevent those
applications access and therefore unprotect the viruses or other malware
allowing for easier removal.

How to start Windows in Safe Mode Windows XP
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/foru...orial=61#winxo

Scan your computer with a virus checker and anti-spyware, etc. etc.
SUPERAntiSpyware <http://www.superantispyware.com/> Malwarebytes
Anti-Malware...
<http://www.malwarebytes.org/roguenet.php?id=401> - try more than one
product (e.g. there's also Windows Live Safety Center
<http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/default.htm>), clean any infections and
reboot.

Ǝиçεl
:..:

"Dimitris" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> A few days ago I caught the W32.Virut.cf virus
> I am trying to remove it but it keeps coming back. I have Norton antivirus
> 2009.
> Anyway since the time I found the virus I can not access Windows Update and
> every antivirus website (Symantec, Mcafee and others) but I can access every
> other website. when I try to access the windows Update webpage I just get
> that white page that says that Internet Explorer can not open the site. Do
> you know anyway that I can access the Windows Update website concerning my
> problem?
> I have winXP Professional.
> I am writing to this Newsgroup from another computer.
>
> Any help will be very appreciated since I am trying to do anything possible
> to solve my problem and I also want to download the latest windows updates.
>
> Thank you in advance.
> Dimitris
>
> PS. I will post this at the Computer Security group as well.

Re: Can not access the Windows Update website
Asked/Answered in microsoft.public.security newsgroup. If you must make
identical posts to multiple newsgroups, please cross-post one (1) message to
all of them. Thank you.

Multiposting vs Crossposting: