Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads
Recommended Download



Welcome to the Microsoft Windows Vista Community Forums - Vistaheads, YOUR Largest Resource for Windows Vista related information.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so , join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Driver Scanner

Error : 0x80070002 Window/Microsoft Updater Fails

microsoft.public.windowsupdate






Speedup My PC
Reply
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2009
SwiftPoint
 

Posts: n/a
Error : 0x80070002 Window/Microsoft Updater Fails
System: Windows XP Pro (x86) SP3

Issue: Windows Update or Microsoft Update Fails
with Error : 0x80070002

When running either updater we see successful:

Download, Copy, and Registeration of the Update, but then it fails
to the Error : 0x80070002 screen.

We have followed all steps provided by the Microsoft Online Assisted Support
and the Resolve This Problem Yourself links displayed in the error screen
with no success.

We searched the Newsgroup and found an additional KB 910336 which instructs
the entire removal of the SoftwareDistribution folder. This was also
unsuccessful.



Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-26-2009
MowGreen
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Error : 0x80070002 Window/Microsoft Updater Fails
Have you already checked for minifilters, as described in this MSKB ? :
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922582

If yes, suggest you determine if 3rd party software is causing the issue
by Clean Booting XP:

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

IF HP software is installed you may receive an Access Denied message
when using the System Configuration Utility to disable 3rd party Services.
You can disable HP related Services using the Services console before
running MSConfig.
Then disable all HP Startup items in MSConfig.

IF a 3rd party firewall is being used, ensure that the native XP
firewall is Enabled prior to attempting to download/installling updates.

If the error still occurs, please post the *last* 50 or so lines of the
WindowsUpdate.log after the last update attempt:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093


MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============



SwiftPoint wrote:

> System: Windows XP Pro (x86) SP3
>
> Issue: Windows Update or Microsoft Update Fails
> with Error : 0x80070002
>
> When running either updater we see successful:
>
> Download, Copy, and Registeration of the Update, but then it fails
> to the Error : 0x80070002 screen.
>
> We have followed all steps provided by the Microsoft Online Assisted Support
> and the Resolve This Problem Yourself links displayed in the error screen
> with no success.
>
> We searched the Newsgroup and found an additional KB 910336 which instructs
> the entire removal of the SoftwareDistribution folder. This was also
> unsuccessful.
>
>
>

Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Error : 0x80070002 Window/Microsoft Updater Fails
If this is a sudden, new problem, there is a very good chance that you are
seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!

NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had
expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has
since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!

1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx

NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.

2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan
(only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm

3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
logs in an appropriate forum, not here.

Checking for/Help with Hijackware
http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware

**Seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
or other appropriate forums.**

If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.

=====================
Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527

Support for Windows Update:
http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport

For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
security updates.
--
~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002


SwiftPoint wrote:
> System: Windows XP Pro (x86) SP3
>
> Issue: Windows Update or Microsoft Update Fails
> with Error : 0x80070002
>
> When running either updater we see successful:
>
> Download, Copy, and Registeration of the Update, but then it fails
> to the Error : 0x80070002 screen.
>
> We have followed all steps provided by the Microsoft Online Assisted
> Support
> and the Resolve This Problem Yourself links displayed in the error screen
> with no success.
>
> We searched the Newsgroup and found an additional KB 910336 which
> instructs
> the entire removal of the SoftwareDistribution folder. This was also
> unsuccessful.


Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2009
SwiftPoint
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Error : 0x80070002 Window/Microsoft Updater Fails
Thanks PA Bear.

We will look into this, but system has an updated version of Trend Micro
running and it is not reporting any vulnerabilities.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> If this is a sudden, new problem, there is a very good chance that you are
> seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!
>
> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription had
> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription has
> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!
>
> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>
> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>
> 2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan
> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>
> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>
> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>
> **Seek expert assistance in
> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup, http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30
> or other appropriate forums.**
>
> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
>
> =====================
> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
>
> Support for Windows Update:
> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
>
> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY in
> the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated with
> security updates.
> --
> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>
>
> SwiftPoint wrote:
> > System: Windows XP Pro (x86) SP3
> >
> > Issue: Windows Update or Microsoft Update Fails
> > with Error : 0x80070002
> >
> > When running either updater we see successful:
> >
> > Download, Copy, and Registeration of the Update, but then it fails
> > to the Error : 0x80070002 screen.
> >
> > We have followed all steps provided by the Microsoft Online Assisted
> > Support
> > and the Resolve This Problem Yourself links displayed in the error screen
> > with no success.
> >
> > We searched the Newsgroup and found an additional KB 910336 which
> > instructs
> > the entire removal of the SoftwareDistribution folder. This was also
> > unsuccessful.

>
>

Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Error : 0x80070002 Window/Microsoft Updater Fails
That doesn't mean squat, SP.

SwiftPoint wrote:
> Thanks PA Bear.
>
> We will look into this, but system has an updated version of Trend Micro
> running and it is not reporting any vulnerabilities.
>
> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>
>> If this is a sudden, new problem, there is a very good chance that you
>> are
>> seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!
>>
>> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription
>> had
>> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription
>> has
>> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at Windows
>> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
>> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!
>>
>> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>
>> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
>> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
>> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>>
>> 2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection'
>> scan
>> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>
>> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the requested
>> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>>
>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
>> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>>
>> **Seek expert assistance in
>> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
>> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**
>>
>> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in admitting
>> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
>> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
>>
>> =====================
>> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
>>
>> Support for Windows Update:
>> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
>>
>> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
>> in
>> the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
>> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated
>> with
>> security updates.
>> --
>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>>
>>
>> SwiftPoint wrote:
>>> System: Windows XP Pro (x86) SP3
>>>
>>> Issue: Windows Update or Microsoft Update Fails
>>> with Error : 0x80070002
>>>
>>> When running either updater we see successful:
>>>
>>> Download, Copy, and Registeration of the Update, but then it fails
>>> to the Error : 0x80070002 screen.
>>>
>>> We have followed all steps provided by the Microsoft Online Assisted
>>> Support
>>> and the Resolve This Problem Yourself links displayed in the error
>>> screen
>>> with no success.
>>>
>>> We searched the Newsgroup and found an additional KB 910336 which
>>> instructs
>>> the entire removal of the SoftwareDistribution folder. This was also
>>> unsuccessful.


Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-27-2009
PA Bear [MS MVP]
 

Posts: n/a
Re: Error : 0x80070002 Window/Microsoft Updater Fails
What if your TM application's been compromised, too?

PA Bear [MS MVP] wrote:
> That doesn't mean squat, SP.
>
> SwiftPoint wrote:
>> Thanks PA Bear.
>>
>> We will look into this, but system has an updated version of Trend Micro
>> running and it is not reporting any vulnerabilities.
>>
>> "PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:
>>
>>> If this is a sudden, new problem, there is a very good chance that you
>>> are
>>> seeing the effects of a hijackware infection!
>>>
>>> NB: If you had no anti-virus application installed or the subscription
>>> had
>>> expired *when the machine first got infected* and/or your subscription
>>> has
>>> since expired and/or the machine's not been kept fully-patched at
>>> Windows
>>> Update, don't waste your time with any of the below: Format & reinstall
>>> Windows. A Repair Install will NOT help!
>>>
>>> 1. See if you can download/run the MSRT manually:
>>> http://www.microsoft.com/security/ma...e/default.mspx
>>>
>>> NB: Run the FULL scan, not the QUICK scan! You may need to download the
>>> MSRT on a non-infected machine, then transfer MRT.EXE to the infected
>>> machine and rename it to SCAN.EXE before running it.
>>>
>>> 2. [WinXP ONLY!! =>] Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection'
>>> scan
>>> (only!) in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:
>>> http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/howsafe.htm
>>>
>>> 3. Run a /thorough/ check for hijackware, including posting the
>>> requested
>>> logs in an appropriate forum, not here.
>>>
>>> Checking for/Help with Hijackware
>>> http://aumha.net/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=4075
>>> http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/data/prevention.htm
>>> http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
>>> http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
>>> http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/...moving_Malware
>>>
>>> **Seek expert assistance in
>>> http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachi...php?board=10.0,
>>> http://forums.spybot.info/forumdisplay.php?f=22,
>>> http://www.dslreports.com/forum/cleanup,
>>> http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**
>>>
>>> If these procedures look too complex - and there is no shame in
>>> admitting
>>> this isn't your cup of tea - take the machine to a local, reputable and
>>> independent (i.e., not BigBoxStoreUSA) computer repair shop.
>>>
>>> =====================
>>> Start a free Windows Update support incident request:
>>> https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...spx?gprid=6527
>>>
>>> Support for Windows Update:
>>> http://support.microsoft.com/gp/wusupport
>>>
>>> For home users, no-charge support is available by calling 1-866-PCSAFETY
>>> in
>>> the United States and in Canada or by contacting your local Microsoft
>>> subsidiary. There is no-charge for support calls that are associated
>>> with
>>> security updates.
>>> --
>>> ~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)
>>> MS MVP-IE, Mail, Security, Windows Desktop Experience - since 2002
>>>
>>>
>>> SwiftPoint wrote:
>>>> System: Windows XP Pro (x86) SP3
>>>>
>>>> Issue: Windows Update or Microsoft Update Fails
>>>> with Error : 0x80070002
>>>>
>>>> When running either updater we see successful:
>>>>
>>>> Download, Copy, and Registeration of the Update, but then it fails
>>>> to the Error : 0x80070002 screen.
>>>>
>>>> We have followed all steps provided by the Microsoft Online Assisted
>>>> Support
>>>> and the Resolve This Problem Yourself links displayed in the error
>>>> screen
>>>> with no success.
>>>>
>>>> We searched the Newsgroup and found an additional KB 910336 which
>>>> instructs
>>>> the entire removal of the SoftwareDistribution folder. This was also
>>>> unsuccessful.


Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Microsoft Update Website fails with Error Code 0x80070002 on Vista Lukas microsoft.public.windowsupdate 10 08-14-2009 04:24
Windows update fails error code 0x80070002 Dipen microsoft.public.windowsupdate 1 04-06-2009 18:17
Window Update Service fails with 0x80070032 error BryanLee999999 microsoft.public.windowsupdate 2 12-26-2008 19:22
0x80070002 error microsoft update DGaguine microsoft.public.windows.vista.general 5 05-31-2008 17:19




All times are GMT +1. The time now is 23:48.




Driver Scanner - Free Scan Now

Vistaheads.com is part of the Heads Network. See also XPHeads.com , Win7Heads.com and Win8Heads.com.


Design by Vjacheslav Trushkin for phpBBStyles.com.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 RC 2

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120