Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP Install Error

tfb33

Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP Install Error
I've downloaded the update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP, however
everytime it tries to install an error appears. The error code is 0x02.

Please help.
MowGreen

Re: Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP Install Error
02 ERROR_FILE_NOT_FOUND

Was the download via Automatic Updates, the Windows or MS update sites,
or was it a manual download of the full IE package ?

Manual download link here:

Windows Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP

How to solve Internet Explorer 8 installation problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

Suggest you download the full package, *save* it, configure the system
to Clean Boot, install IE8, *reboot* twice, and see if that gets IE
installed.

How to configure Windows XP to start in a "clean boot" state
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310353

MowGreen
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

tfb33 wrote:

> I've downloaded the update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP, however
> everytime it tries to install an error appears. The error code is 0x02.
>
> Please help.

Re: Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP Install Error
[crosspost to IE General]

Is IE6 or IE7 working OK or...?

HOW TO solve IE8 installation problems
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949220

environment.
=> US & CA Residents: 1-866-234-6020
=> Other locales: https://support.microsoft.com/oas/de...px?&prid=13043

My personal recommendations include:

=> Install IE8 manually, not via Windows Update/Automatic Updates!!

=> Uninstall all third-party toolbars (e.g., Google; Yahoo; Windows Live)
and third-party Windows Themes before installing IE8.

=> Close all open applications (i.e., anything with a taskbar icon) before
installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> I would strongly recommend disabling your anti-virus application and any
anti-spyware application's "system protections" (other than Defender's)
before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade. If you're running a
third-party firewall, I would recommend disabling it and then enabling the
Windows Firewall before installing (or uninstalling) an IE upgrade.

=> Create a Restore Point manually before installing IE8. [Do NOT use
System Restore to remove/uninstall IE8; instead, see
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700. Then use the Restore Point prior to
reinstalling IE8 per these recommendations. Norton users will need to see
http://bertk.mvps.org/html/symantecdoc1.html.]

=> Reboot twice after installing or uninstalling IE8.

=> For best chance of success with IE8, make certain that your anti-virus
application, any anti-spyware applications (other than Defender), and your
third-party firewall (if any) are supported in IE8 Final before you decide
install it.

tfb33 wrote:
> I've downloaded the update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP, however
> everytime it tries to install an error appears. The error code is 0x02.
>
> Please help.

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP Install Error
> tfb33 wrote:
>> I've downloaded the update for Internet Explorer 8 for Windows XP, however
>> everytime it tries to install an error appears. The error code is 0x02.

You need to find better clues about your symptom.
All that code means is that some unspecified file was not found.
More details should be available in the log files the install creates.
Otherwise you could supplement whatever diagnostics you do get
by running ProcMon.

Good luck

Robert Aldwinckle
---