Update fails again!

AltaEgo

Update fails again!
XP
Office 2003 with 2007 compatibility pack. NOTE full version of Office 2007
NOT installed - just compatibility pack.

This morning, after fixing update using ERUNT, I successfully installed
updates:
- Security updates for PowerPoint (KB957784)
- Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969618)

After patting myself on the back and catching up with a few tasks, I tested
update again. The same problem recurred - Error number: 0x80072EE7.

I uninstalled both patches and for good measure, COMODO.

I am now (correctly) offered the above two patches again.

OK its time to do this one-by-one. Tomorrow, I plan to install Powerpoint.
Reboot, work for a while. Reboot. Test Microsoft Update. Followed by the
office 2007 using the same process. Before I try the office 2007 again, does
anyone know of any issues with either of these patches.

BTW: I tried updates with Comodo disabled and suspect it may not be the
problem. Time will tell.

--
Steve

Ǝиçεl

RE: Update fails again!
Hello Steve,

Try working through the MS Help and Support solutions contained in the
following article:

<http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821>

-=-

<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=836941>

and

<http://www.tutorials-win.com/WindowsUpdate/Windows-Error-247030/>

Good luck

"AltaEgo" wrote:

> XP
> Office 2003 with 2007 compatibility pack. NOTE full version of Office 2007
> NOT installed - just compatibility pack.
>
> This morning, after fixing update using ERUNT, I successfully installed
> updates:
> - Security updates for PowerPoint (KB957784)
> - Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969618)
>
> After patting myself on the back and catching up with a few tasks, I tested
> update again. The same problem recurred - Error number: 0x80072EE7.
>
> I uninstalled both patches and for good measure, COMODO.
>
> I am now (correctly) offered the above two patches again.
>
> OK its time to do this one-by-one. Tomorrow, I plan to install Powerpoint.
> Reboot, work for a while. Reboot. Test Microsoft Update. Followed by the
> office 2007 using the same process. Before I try the office 2007 again, does
> anyone know of any issues with either of these patches.
>
> BTW: I tried updates with Comodo disabled and suspect it may not be the
> problem. Time will tell.
>

> --
> Steve

Serge

RE: Update fails again!

"AltaEgo" wrote:

> XP
> Office 2003 with 2007 compatibility pack. NOTE full version of Office 2007
> NOT installed - just compatibility pack.
>
> This morning, after fixing update using ERUNT, I successfully installed
> updates:
> - Security updates for PowerPoint (KB957784)
> - Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969618)
>
> After patting myself on the back and catching up with a few tasks, I tested
> update again. The same problem recurred - Error number: 0x80072EE7.
>
> I uninstalled both patches and for good measure, COMODO.
>
> I am now (correctly) offered the above two patches again.
>
> OK its time to do this one-by-one. Tomorrow, I plan to install Powerpoint.
> Reboot, work for a while. Reboot. Test Microsoft Update. Followed by the
> office 2007 using the same process. Before I try the office 2007 again, does
> anyone know of any issues with either of these patches.
>
> BTW: I tried updates with Comodo disabled and suspect it may not be the
> problem. Time will tell.
>

> --
> Steve

I did both of these updates without any problem. I can not tell you if
Comodo is the culprit as I do not have it.

Serge

Shenan Stanley

Re: Update fails again!
AltaEgo wrote:
> XP
> Office 2003 with 2007 compatibility pack. NOTE full version of
> Office 2007 NOT installed - just compatibility pack.
>
> This morning, after fixing update using ERUNT, I successfully
> installed updates:
> - Security updates for PowerPoint (KB957784)
> - Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969618)
>
> After patting myself on the back and catching up with a few tasks,
> I tested update again. The same problem recurred - Error number:
> 0x80072EE7.
> I uninstalled both patches and for good measure, COMODO.
>
> I am now (correctly) offered the above two patches again.
>
> OK its time to do this one-by-one. Tomorrow, I plan to install
> Powerpoint. Reboot, work for a while. Reboot. Test Microsoft
> Update. Followed by the office 2007 using the same process. Before
> I try the office 2007 again, does anyone know of any issues with
> either of these patches.
> BTW: I tried updates with Comodo disabled and suspect it may not be
> the problem. Time will tell.

Did you read the response I gave to your other incomplete explanation of how
you used ERUNT to 'fix' whatever problem you were having - particularly the
extra steps you should likely take to actually repair your probably busted
update system?

Might want to run through it... (I'll repost.)

Make sure your DNS settings are set to obtain automatically.
Perform an IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS and IPCONFIG /REGISTERDNS.
Check your HOSTS file for anything suspicious.
Verify your time and date are correct.

Follow up with cleaning up your update system in Windows XP (and your
computer overall.)

SuperAntiSpyware
http://www.superantispyware.com/

MalwareBytes
http://www.malwarebytes.com/

if you wish.

Reboot.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net stop wuauserv
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\regsvr32 %SystemRoot%\system32\wups2.dll
--> Click OK.

Start button --> RUN and type in:
%SystemRoot%\system32\net start wuauserv
--> Click OK.

.... and save it to the root of your C:\ drive. After saving it to the root
of the C:\ drive, do the following:

Start button --> RUN and type in:
--> Click OK.

Reboot.

Reboot.

Log on as an user with administrative rights and open Internet Explorer and
visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/ and select to do a CUSTOM scan...
(Every time you are about to click on something while at these web pages -
release the CTRL key after clicking each time.)

(deselect any others) and install it.

Reboot again.

time.

against the "Windows Search" one amd any of the "Office Live" ones for
now. I would completely avoid the Optional Hardware updates.

Come back - let us know if that worked.
.... Really - come back and let everyone know if that worked.

** If it seemed to have failed, do this: **

Check the status of these two services:
- Automatic Updates
- Background Intelligent Transfer Service

Click Start, click Run, type services.msc, and then click OK. In the list of
services, find those two, right click on them one at a time and choose
properties. In the Startup type list, what is each of them set to?

Report that here.

Then:

Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type: %windir%\windowsupdate.log
and then click OK.

Scroll down towards the bottom for the latest entries to locate any error
code(s) or explanation as to why the page cannot be displayed.

You can copy/paste the last 50 or so lines here...

How to read the Windowsupdate.log file:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/902093

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

Re: Update fails again!
Always reply to your original thread:
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...18b3ebe9af450c

> ...after fixing update using ERUNT

Explain, please.

==================

You may receive an error message when you search for available updates on
the Windows Update Web site or on the Microsoft Update Web site:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/883821

When searching for available updates on the Update site, you see the
0x80072EE7 error
http://update.microsoft.com/windowsu...=en&IsMu=False

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/827315

==============

to a Security Update and cite the update's KB number (e.g., KB957784).

your usual support contacts.
AumHa VSOP & Admin; DTS-L.net

AltaEgo wrote:
> XP
> Office 2003 with 2007 compatibility pack. NOTE full version of Office 2007
> NOT installed - just compatibility pack.
>
> This morning, after fixing update using ERUNT, I successfully installed
> updates:
> - Security updates for PowerPoint (KB957784)
> - Security Update for the 2007 Microsoft Office System (KB969618)
>
> After patting myself on the back and catching up with a few tasks, I
> tested
> update again. The same problem recurred - Error number: 0x80072EE7.
>
> I uninstalled both patches and for good measure, COMODO.
>
> I am now (correctly) offered the above two patches again.
>
> OK its time to do this one-by-one. Tomorrow, I plan to install Powerpoint.
> Reboot, work for a while. Reboot. Test Microsoft Update. Followed by the
> office 2007 using the same process. Before I try the office 2007 again,
> does
> anyone know of any issues with either of these patches.
>
> BTW: I tried updates with Comodo disabled and suspect it may not be the
> problem. Time will tell.

AltaEgo

Re: Update fails again!
Comodo is the cause of my problems. I don't understand how it caused update
to fail but:

1) When I used ERUNT to reload registry backup from 16 May 2009, update
worked WITH Comodo running.
2) Approximately six hours later, after installing both updates mentioned in
the message below, update failed to work with Comodo running. Update also
failed to work when I right-clicked Comodo in the taskbar and exited Comodo.
3) After uninstalling Comodo, loading each security update and rebooting
between installations resulted in update continuing to operate as designed.

My conclusion is that a setting may to the registry by Comodo prevented
update. However, whether this is the result of the program or settings set
by me is uncertain. I suspect the latter but now intend to try different
HIPS protection.

--
Steve