can't download windows update

Mikey P.

can't download windows update
a friend of mine is using windows xp home edition and when i helped her to
see if she had any critical updates she went over to windows update and
clicked on the custom button and this error came up as follows:0x800704DD and
also the website has encountered a problem and cannot display the webpage
that she is trying to view we have tried to do the updates for her computer
many many times and this still comes up as above... we have also tried the
express button and the same error code and also can't display the webpage...
we have run out of options on how to fix this ongoing problem...we would
appreciate any suggestions that u can give... again, thank you..
Ǝиçεl

RE: can't download windows update
Hello Mikey,

0x800704DD ERROR_NOT_LOGGED_ON
The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not
logged on to the network. The specified service does not exist.

Error messages that you may receive when you try to download and install
updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web site,
or from a WSUS server: "0x800704DD," " 0x80240020," or both
<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910341>
-=-

"Mikey P." wrote:

> a friend of mine is using windows xp home edition and when i helped her to
> see if she had any critical updates she went over to windows update and
> clicked on the custom button and this error came up as follows:0x800704DD and
> also the website has encountered a problem and cannot display the webpage
> that she is trying to view we have tried to do the updates for her computer
> many many times and this still comes up as above... we have also tried the
> express button and the same error code and also can't display the webpage...
> we have run out of options on how to fix this ongoing problem...we would
> appreciate any suggestions that u can give... again, thank you..

Mikey P.

RE: can't download windows update
The last message received just confused me even more, in simplier terms
could you explain ur message..like i don't know what u mean by the error
0x800704DD ERROR_NOT_LOGGED_ON.. What do u mean by the user not being logged
on to the network? and how do you log in and where does my friend log in to
the network and once u have explain it to me will she be able to do her
updates once she has logged on? again thank you for your help

"Ǝиçεl" wrote:

> Hello Mikey,
>
> 0x800704DD ERROR_NOT_LOGGED_ON
> The operation being requested was not performed because the user has not
> logged on to the network. The specified service does not exist.
>
> Error messages that you may receive when you try to download and install
> updates from the Windows Update Web site, from the Microsoft Update Web site,
> or from a WSUS server: "0x800704DD," " 0x80240020," or both
> <http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=910341>
> -=-
>

> "Mikey P." wrote:
>
> > a friend of mine is using windows xp home edition and when i helped her to
> > see if she had any critical updates she went over to windows update and
> > clicked on the custom button and this error came up as follows:0x800704DD and
> > also the website has encountered a problem and cannot display the webpage
> > that she is trying to view we have tried to do the updates for her computer
> > many many times and this still comes up as above... we have also tried the
> > express button and the same error code and also can't display the webpage...
> > we have run out of options on how to fix this ongoing problem...we would
> > appreciate any suggestions that u can give... again, thank you..

TaurArian

RE: can't download windows update
Error message when you use Windows Update Web site, Microsoft Update Web
site, or Windows Server Update Services to install updates: 0x800704DD
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/968001