SQL server 2005 Express update, Error Code: 0x7370

Conny westh

SQL server 2005 Express update, Error Code: 0x7370
When installing updates for SQL server 2005 Express i get the; Error Code:
0x7370 failiure and the installation cancels.

I tried it several times on both Windows XP with latest updates and on
another computer with VISTA installed with all the latest updates. All the
same result.

It also seems that i get errors in hotfix.exe application that sends error
information to Microsoft, this happens several times every day. I send the
error reports and the error does not seems to be fixed. This has been a
problem for several months now...

How do I fix this problem?

Installation Failure

Error Code: 0x7370
Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
resources.

For self-help options:

Frequently Asked Questions
Find Solutions
Windows Update Newsgroup

For assisted support options:

Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting
updates)

Robert Aldwinckle

Re: SQL server 2005 Express update, Error Code: 0x7370
(cross-post added to SQL Setup)
"Conny westh" <Conny westh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99764F22-B6F8-4CE0-A8D6-F50DB4740930@microsoft.com...
> When installing updates for SQL server 2005 Express i get the; Error Code:
> 0x7370 failiure and the installation cancels.
>
> I tried it several times on both Windows XP with latest updates and on
> another computer with VISTA installed with all the latest updates. All the
> same result.
>
> It also seems that i get errors in hotfix.exe application that sends error
> information to Microsoft, this happens several times every day. I send the
> error reports and the error does not seems to be fixed. This has been a
> problem for several months now...
>

> How do I fix this problem?

Convert your hex code to decimal and do a web search.
Add MSFT to your search criteria...

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...-6456b7448956/

(Microsoft search for
SQL 29552 MSFT
)

Hmm... too bad. That one wasn't resolved. So try the wider search...

Looks like there are just a few of you. Try collaborating.
Here's the most positive of the few hits I found.
Note I have not widened the search to the WWW.

http://www.microsoft.com/communities...r=US&sloc=&p=1

(Microsoft search for
SQL 29552
)

BTW notice the forum/newsgroup where that discussion took place?
That would be a more appropriate place to try to get help on SQL
matters. Cross-posting to it for convenience.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

> Installation Failure
>
> Error Code: 0x7370
> Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
> resources.
>
> For self-help options:
>
> Frequently Asked Questions
> Find Solutions
> Windows Update Newsgroup
>
> For assisted support options:
>

> Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting
> updates)

Rick Downer

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to SQL Setup)
> "Conny westh" <Conny westh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99764F22-B6F8-4CE0-A8D6-F50DB4740930@microsoft.com...
> > When installing updates for SQL server 2005 Express i get the; Error Code:
> > 0x7370 failiure and the installation cancels.
> >
> > I tried it several times on both Windows XP with latest updates and on
> > another computer with VISTA installed with all the latest updates. All the
> > same result.
> >
> > It also seems that i get errors in hotfix.exe application that sends error
> > information to Microsoft, this happens several times every day. I send the
> > error reports and the error does not seems to be fixed. This has been a
> > problem for several months now...
> >

> > How do I fix this problem?

> Convert your hex code to decimal and do a web search.
> Add MSFT to your search criteria...
>
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...-6456b7448956/
>
> (Microsoft search for
> SQL 29552 MSFT
> )
>
> Hmm... too bad. That one wasn't resolved. So try the wider search...
>
> Looks like there are just a few of you. Try collaborating.
> Here's the most positive of the few hits I found.
> Note I have not widened the search to the WWW.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...r=US&sloc=&p=1
>
> (Microsoft search for
> SQL 29552
> )
>

> BTW notice the forum/newsgroup where that discussion took place?
> That would be a more appropriate place to try to get help on SQL
> matters. Cross-posting to it for convenience.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> > Installation Failure
> >
> > Error Code: 0x7370
> > Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
> > resources.
> >
> > For self-help options:
> >
> > Frequently Asked Questions
> > Find Solutions
> > Windows Update Newsgroup
> >
> > For assisted support options:
> >

> > Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting
> > updates)

Rick Downer

Re: SQL server 2005 Express update, Error Code: 0x7370
Microsoft Update has us jump through several hoops just to get here. Then you
tell us to seek the answer elsewhere. Thank you for pointing to the answer,
but why is it not appropriate to discuss the problem here, since this is
where Microsoft told us to go? And why is the solution A) Not built into the
update, or B) Not given in either of the other two places Microsoft told us
to look, since the ulitmate solution came from Microsoft support. Windows
Update is supposed to be for the non-technical general public, not computer
science grads.

BTW, here's the solution (so others don't have to keep looking), apparantly
from Ed Freels on the Expertsexchange website:

Copy C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup
Bootstrap\BPA\bin\BPAClient.dll
to C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\90\Setup Bootstrap\BPA.

That's it. Once the dll is in the BPA folder, upgrade advisor works
successfully and the upgrade runs through successfully.

Haven't tried it yet -- gonna try it now. Wish me luck.

Rick

"Robert Aldwinckle" wrote:

> (cross-post added to SQL Setup)
> "Conny westh" <Conny westh@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:99764F22-B6F8-4CE0-A8D6-F50DB4740930@microsoft.com...
> > When installing updates for SQL server 2005 Express i get the; Error Code:
> > 0x7370 failiure and the installation cancels.
> >
> > I tried it several times on both Windows XP with latest updates and on
> > another computer with VISTA installed with all the latest updates. All the
> > same result.
> >
> > It also seems that i get errors in hotfix.exe application that sends error
> > information to Microsoft, this happens several times every day. I send the
> > error reports and the error does not seems to be fixed. This has been a
> > problem for several months now...
> >

> > How do I fix this problem?

> Convert your hex code to decimal and do a web search.
> Add MSFT to your search criteria...
>
> http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/for...-6456b7448956/
>
> (Microsoft search for
> SQL 29552 MSFT
> )
>
> Hmm... too bad. That one wasn't resolved. So try the wider search...
>
> Looks like there are just a few of you. Try collaborating.
> Here's the most positive of the few hits I found.
> Note I have not widened the search to the WWW.
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/communities...r=US&sloc=&p=1
>
> (Microsoft search for
> SQL 29552
> )
>

> BTW notice the forum/newsgroup where that discussion took place?
> That would be a more appropriate place to try to get help on SQL
> matters. Cross-posting to it for convenience.
>

> HTH
>
> Robert Aldwinckle
> ---
>

> > Installation Failure
> >
> > Error Code: 0x7370
> > Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
> > resources.
> >
> > For self-help options:
> >
> > Frequently Asked Questions
> > Find Solutions
> > Windows Update Newsgroup
> >
> > For assisted support options:
> >

> > Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting
> > updates)

Rick Downer

Re: SQL server 2005 Express update, Error Code: 0x7370
Well, some progress I guess. Now it fails with code 0x6DD3. Thanks, Microsoft.

"Rick Downer" wrote:

> [...]

> > )
> >

> > BTW notice the forum/newsgroup where that discussion took place?
> > That would be a more appropriate place to try to get help on SQL
> > matters. Cross-posting to it for convenience.
> >

> > HTH
> >
> > Robert Aldwinckle
> > ---
> >

> > > Installation Failure
> > >
> > > Error Code: 0x7370
> > > Try to install the update again, or request help from one of the following
> > > resources.
> > >
> > > For self-help options:
> > >
> > > Frequently Asked Questions
> > > Find Solutions
> > > Windows Update Newsgroup
> > >
> > > For assisted support options:
> > >

> > > Microsoft Online Assisted Support (no-cost for issues related to getting
> > > updates)

Re: SQL server 2005 Express update, Error Code: 0x7370
Who died and made you king all of a sudden?

Rick Downer wrote:
> Microsoft Update has us jump through several hoops just to get here. Then
> you tell us to seek the answer elsewhere...

Rick Downer

Re: SQL server 2005 Express update, Error Code: 0x7370
Who died and made Robert Aldwinckle king, that he gets to tell us to seek the
answers elsewhere when Microsoft Update told us to come here?

I'm not just your King, I'm a Customer -- that maikes me your GOD. And
you're not treating us customers very well, let me tell you. There's posts
all over the internet regarding the repeated failure of these SQL Server
updates (with multiple error codes) and Microsoft's total disregard of the
issues. What's the point of the tool that collects information and sends it
back to the Redmond Mothership if you guys don't act on it? I've seen posts
on this subject that go back months, so this is not new and you idiots have
had pleanty of time to either fix the update or pull it so we're not wasting
our time with it over and over again.

Open Office.org runs just fine on Linux, so other than games there's no real
reason to need Microsoft anymore. There hasn't been a real improvement to
Office since 1997, nor to Windows since 2000. Vista sure is a slap in the
customer's face, and Office 2007's user interface is an exercise in
frustration to those of use trying to write more than memos.

You guys at Microsoft need to listen to your customer's complaints, not
belittle them, or you won't have any more customers to complain. Our
complaints are your last chance to keep us -- ignore them at your peril.

"PA Bear [MS MVP]" wrote:

> Who died and made you king all of a sudden?
>
> Rick Downer wrote:
> > Microsoft Update has us jump through several hoops just to get here. Then
> > you tell us to seek the answer elsewhere...

Re: SQL server 2005 Express update, Error Code: 0x7370
No one here works for or represents MS. This includes MVPs.

If you were unable to download the update in question, then your concerns
would be fair game in Windows Update newsgroup. Since the problem is
installing the non-security related update, you're better of in a
SQL-specific newsgroup.

"Rick Downer" <RickDowner@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:C3FD2DC8-E57E-4B5A-9C38-AC1B3E51C23E@microsoft.com...
> Well, some progress I guess. Now it fails with code 0x6DD3. Thanks, Microsoft.

See? It's a good thing you are continuing the cross-post into the SQL NG.
First, you have shared your solution with readers there, so anybody
knowledgeable about SQL presumably would comment about the
appropriateness of it for general use when this symptom is seen.
E.g. I have no idea whether the OP should be advised to try it too.

Second, now you get to find out if anybody else has seen a 28115... <eg>

http://www.tech-archive.net/Archive/.../msg01965.html

(BING search for
28115 SQL MSFT
- first hit of 17
)

<quote>
Product: Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Reporting Services -- Error 28115.
UpgradeAdvisor blocked Upgrade.
Message:
Reporting Services

</quote>

I'm not going to quote that particular message because it might not be
the one that you are getting or that anybody else reading here might be
getting. The main idea I want to impart is the search technique:
convert your hex code to decimal and add SQL and MSFT as filter terms.

FWIW I don't care if you ask questions about SQL updates in the WU NG.
I was just trying to point out that you are more likely to find more relevant
information and help on newsgroups and forums which specialize in the
product, especially if your problem symptom can be reproduced by
trying the install of the update manually, e.g. independently of a distribution
service. IMO continuing to look for help about a specific product's update
in the WU NG could be analogous to running down the street chasing
the delivery truck to ask the driver questions about your new appliance!

; }

Robert
---